Menu

What was this horrible headache??

I woke suddenly early this morning with severe pain in my head. It was pain equivalent to the worst migraines I've had but didn't "act" like any migraines I've experienced.

The pain was severe. In fact typically I can apply pressure to points (say in the upper corner of my eye socket) to make migraine pain a bit less intense. Nothing I did helped this let up at all. I was nauseous. But it would hurt like that (immobilized, at one point I laid down in the middle of the kitchen floor in a fetal position) for, say, 20 minutes and then let up some. I would still have a headache and slight nausea but be pretty functional. Then it would hit severely again. It was too painful to fall back to sleep and laying down in darkness didn't help at all. I did take my migraine medicine and that might have helped it after a while because I did finally fall asleep at about 3 hours into this.

My migraines are always on the left side behind or around my left eye. They are very intense, localized (ice pick type) pain. This was as intense but over the entire left quadrant of my head--from my left temple to mid forehead and all the way down that left portion of my face to about mid-cheekbone level.

I've never experienced anything like it. I'm fine now.

Has anyone had a headache like that or have an idea of what it was? I never want to experience it again. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know, but our oldest had a scary headache a few years ago.

He was calling cattle and let out a yell and he said his head just exploded. He was in the hospital for a couple of days, they ran all sorts of tests and found nothing.

It hasn't happened since, but it really scared me.

I don't know, but our oldest had a scary headache a few years ago.

He was calling cattle and let out a yell and he said his head just exploded. He was in the hospital for a couple of days, they ran all sorts of tests and found nothing.

It hasn't happened since, but it really scared me.

When I finally managed to crawl out of bed I called my husband and asked him to come home because I thought I needed to go to urgent care or something. By the time he got here it had subsided some (only to flare up again when he left). Since it was coming and going in intensity I decided I wasn't having brain bleeding or something! In bed this morning I was really thinking I might die there and my kids find me. It was really intense pain. At this point I'm thinking some weird sort of migraine.

Edited by sbgrace

Strange coincidence, but my 13yo ds who has migraines, had a weird headache yesterday. It said it felt strange, not like a migraine. He put himself to bed and did throw up from the pain, and even cried out in pain a couple of times (strange for him), but he was sure it wasn't a migraine. He is fine today. Maybe something viral presenting this way?

I get migraines. They started with my first pregnancy.

I also get sinus headaches. I've gotten those since childhood.

I woke up with a headache before that was kinda like my migraines, but the pain was in more/different areas than a typical migraine. I couldn't figure out what was going on. I took my migraine med, and the migraine portion of the headache went away, but I still had head pain. Then I realized that I must have had both a sinus headache AND a migraine at the same time. I took sudafed, and the rest of the headache went away.

It was odd; I'd never even considered before that I could get BOTH a sinus headache AND a migraine at the same time.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.