Menu

Bread

I have started making dinner rolls with yeast from the recipe in my Better Homes and Garden cookbook. The dough eventually rises (at least the first time) But it takes longer than the hour recommended in my cookbook. It doesn't really rise well at all the second time (after the rolls are formed). It says about 30 minutes and I am giving it closer to 45 minutes. I am letting it rise in the oven with a pan of almost boiling water. My yeast is new - is it just that my recipe is bad?

I have been using my meat thermometer to try to get the liquid ingredients the right temperature (it the only one I have) - is that the problem?

How do you make yummy, fluffy wonderful dinner rolls? or pizza crust?

I don't. I make dense nuggets of cooked dough.

Bread doesn't work well for me at all; I think I might handle it too much when I'm moving it.

If you think it might be your yeast, put that in with the warm (NOT hot) water beforehand for a few minutes; it'll make a little bit of foam at the top if it's working properly. Then you add it as directed - it's called "proofing" the yeast.

Be sure you are using quality yeast. I think SAF yeast is the best and I have used it a couple years after its expiration date and it still rises just like it always did. I don't have the same success with dough rising if I use Fleischman's yeast. I need more to get the same rise, and it seems to die quicker. Just a thought.

Be sure you are using quality yeast. I think SAF yeast is the best and I have used it a couple years after its expiration date and it still rises just like it always did. I don't have the same success with dough rising if I use Fleischman's yeast. I need more to get the same rise, and it seems to die quicker. Just a thought.

I am using Fleischman's (it's what they had the individual packets of at Walmart)

Is Red Star a kind of yeast? It sounds vaguely familiar -I'll have to check out other kinds - is there a big difference in prices of yeast?

Here is a blog post from King Arthur flour on dinner rolls. I don't know if it is at all close to your recipe, but maybe there will be some helpful tips. (I can't use their special dry milk or potato flakes, and my recipes work out fine.)

On the actual recipe page, their is a tip about combining hot water with cold milk to make the liquid the right temp.

I do use this SAF yeast. Our local store carries it.

Adding "vital wheat gluten" and "dough enhancer" to your bread dough will help it rise as well. I also set my oven to 170...turn it off, let it cool for a couple minutes, then put my dough inside to rise. Sometimes, in winter...it's just too cool in the house for bread to rise well. In the summer, I set it on the porch to rise (covered, of course).

I would; and keep in mind, not to make the liquids too hot. I think it's supposed to be just warm to the touch (do I recall 80-90 deg or so?) or it'll kill the yeast.

If you're concerned about the "order of operations" you could use a separate spoonful of yeast in warm water to see if it foams, and just dump it afterward.

Edited by bbkaren

I would; and keep in mind, not to make the liquids too hot. I think it's supposed to be just warm to the touch (do I recall 80-90 deg or so?) or it'll kill the yeast.

My cookbook says 120-130 degrees, but mine only rise half the time, so I could be doing it wrong :tongue_smilie:.

My recipe doe NOT tell me to proof the yeast first.

It has me put the yeast in with the flour and then add the warm/hot liquid ingedients.

Should I proof it anyways?

It also uses milk, but no water.

I've personally never had great luck following recipes that have you add the yeast to the flour. I had a baker tell me once that you should always add your yeast to your liquids and then add your flour last.

Next time you try that recipe:

Warm the milk, add a tsp or so of sugar, add yeast, then add any other sweetener specified by the recipe, and the oil. Let it sit for a few minutes and then add a cup or so of flour (or about 1/3 of what the recipe calls for) - stir and let it sit for a few more minutes. You should see little bubbles all over the top. After you've let it sit for a few minutes then add the salt (salt inhibits the growth of yeast, so you want to give the yeast time to wake up and start growing before you add it), then add in the rest of the flour in 1/2 to 1 cup increments until the dough comes together and isn't super sticky (should still be a little sticky, but not so sticky that it is coating your fingers when you knead). You can knead by hand or throw it in a Kitchen Aid for 5-8 minutes and then proceed to rising. Make sure that wherever you have it rising is warm and draft free.

For me, at least, this method has always been fool-proof.

My cookbook says 120-130 degrees, but mine only rise half the time, so I could be doing it wrong :tongue_smilie:.

130 degrees will kill the yeast. You want somewhere between 100 and 110, maybe 115. You want it warm, but not hot. Better to have liquid that is slightly too cool than slightly too warm. Too cool will mean just a little extra rise time, too warm will start killing off your yeast.