Menu

Gift ideas for very generous parents?

My sweet father grew up beyond poor. He has worked and worked his entire life and done extremely well. His lifelong dream has always been to take his family on an amazing trip - all expenses paid. In a few months, that dream will be a reality for all of us (8 ppl. total). I am so proud of my Dad, and my Mom for helping him in any way that she could she all of these years. :)

I would really like to give them both a gift. It's hard, because they "have everything". I think I have decided to make a beautiful kaftan for my mother. I have the pattern picked out and am looking for fabric now. She will love it, I feel sure. But what for my Dad? He's so hard to shop for - and ideally I'd make something, putting in the time I am putting in for my mother. I can knit, sew, and crochet - but not sure how man-friendly any of that is! ;)

FWIW I plan to make an album of our trip on my Mac and give that to him in June for Father's Day...

The gift of time. I took my Dad on a canoe trip while I was in college (just the two of us), and he STILL has the picture collage of the trip on his dresser (the trip was almost 20 years ago!). Needless to say, he enjoyed spending time with just me. If your Dad isn't the outdoor type, how about dinner and a show?

The gift of time. I took my Dad on a canoe trip while I was in college (just the two of us), and he STILL has the picture collage of the trip on his dresser (the trip was almost 20 years ago!). Needless to say, he enjoyed spending time with just me. If your Dad isn't the outdoor type, how about dinner and a show?

Perfect! I am going to find something - parasailing or something - and take my Dad on that. Just us. He will love it. I was thinking material, but time with him is so important!

Thanks also to all who agreed with the scrapbook. I know he will love that as well!

Photo gifts are great! (I see you've already been given similar suggestions.) We also have the mixed-blessing of trying to get gifts for folks who "have everything."

If you decide not to go the photo gift route, a gift card/certificate to a favorite restaurant or sporting goods store (if Dad is into that sort of thing).

my father is the same way and worked very hard for his success. my parents are truly amazing & do SO much for me. buying them gifts is so hard because they have everything, and anything they don't have they can afford to buy. the very best gift i have ever given my father was for his 65th birthday. i typed up a list titled "65 things i love about you". it actually made him cry. not sure if that's a good idea for your dad, but it worked with mine:) i also second scrapbooks. i've made those as well and they're always well received and loved.