Menu

I think I'm joining the club (perimenopause)

I'm 38 and the last 6 months or so I have noticed some changes. Some months I am aware of the lack of "fertile feeling" :001_huh: but this last 2 cycles I have spotted the week before. I have no other symptoms (perhaps some fogginess cured by a white board and a dry wipe marker) and all my "well woman" checks are up to date.

So what the verdict? I am in the club?:tongue_smilie:

Well I'm almost 48, and haven't noticed any of those symptoms :001_smile:. Strangely enough, I even "feel fertile". I must be almost there though. Have you mentioned the spotting a week before to your doctor? It's probably something quite normal, related to hormonal changes that may or may not be related to the perimenopause, but I've always been told that any spotting in between periods should be checked out.

I had very strange symptoms aged 38 that the doctor said were normal for my age and situation (I had a 3 yo and a 12 mo old). I wasn't perimenopausal though, and went on to have two more babies at 40 and 43.

So, I don't necessarily think you can join the club yet. Although it might depend on which club you want to join ;).

Best wishes

Cassy (from the other side of the Irish sea :001_smile:).

I am having issues as well and my doctor is no help. My cycles have moved to only about 21 days apart and are extremely painful. I feel on edge alot and very tired most days. My mother started menopause early and I am 37. I would love to at least no what these changes are and are not so that I could find treatment and relief. I have started taking St. John's Wort to try and compensate for the constant on edge feeling. I have also started a B-12 supplement hoping to curve the tired feeling. Are these symptoms in the club? Any good suggestions to help with the intense pain with my cycles?

Well I'm almost 48, and haven't noticed any of those symptoms :001_smile:. Strangely enough, I even "feel fertile". I must be almost there though. Have you mentioned the spotting a week before to your doctor? It's probably something quite normal, related to hormonal changes that may or may not be related to the perimenopause, but I've always been told that any spotting in between periods should be checked out.

I had very strange symptoms aged 38 that the doctor said were normal for my age and situation (I had a 3 yo and a 12 mo old). I wasn't perimenopausal though, and went on to have two more babies at 40 and 43.

So, I don't necessarily think you can join the club yet. Although it might depend on which club you want to join ;).

Best wishes

Cassy (from the other side of the Irish sea :001_smile:).

Dr's response is "it's hormonal, you can take the pill" :001_huh: I've had spotting before and it always goes away with the pill. I'd love to join the "other" club but dh is not willing to participate.:glare:

ETA: Also, it's not random spotting between, it's in the week leading up to my period and gradually becomes "the real thing" IYKWIM. It drags it out too long.

Edited by lorrainejmc

Dr's response is "it's hormonal, you can take the pill" :001_huh: I've had spotting before and it always goes away with the pill. I'd love to join the "other" club but dh is not willing to participate.:glare:

ETA: Also, it's not random spotting between, it's in the week leading up to my period and gradually becomes "the real thing" IYKWIM. It drags it out too long.

I've noticed this kind of pattern recently too, since I started cycling again after ds2 was born. I'm only 35, so I don't know.

I tend to think that it is pretty normal for our bodies to shift slowly over time - there isn't really a line you know?

From this page it looks like your symptoms might fit, or, they might be something else.:001_huh:

I've noticed this kind of pattern recently too, since I started cycling again after ds2 was born. I'm only 35, so I don't know.

I tend to think that it is pretty normal for our bodies to shift slowly over time - there isn't really a line you know?

From this page it looks like your symptoms might fit, or, they might be something else.:001_huh:

You see, I had the same after my last ds 6 years ago. The pill stabilized it, then even when I came off the pill everything stayed normal for several years. I could predict to the time of day when my period would come. It's only the last 6 months there has been a shift of a few days here and there and the last 2 specifically where I've had this spotting. Then again, I had a very bad sinus infection just before Christmas then things started to go really crazy. Maybe I'm just a bit run down and out of balance.

Edited by lorrainejmc

I'm 38 and the last 6 months or so I have noticed some changes. Some months I am aware of the lack of "fertile feeling" :001_huh: but this last 2 cycles I have spotted the week before.

I'll join you in the "could this be perimenopause?" club :001_smile:

I'm 38 and I've also noticed some changes related to my cycle. I've had the pre-period spotting, but didn't think anything of it. Then, my PMS mood swings got worse, but I chalked that up to increased stress.

During the last couple months I've been hit with morning-sickness grade nausea during my period. THAT got my attention and I've been reading up on all things perimenopause.

I'm 38 and the last 6 months or so I have noticed some changes. Some months I am aware of the lack of "fertile feeling" :001_huh: but this last 2 cycles I have spotted the week before. I have no other symptoms (perhaps some fogginess cured by a white board and a dry wipe marker) and all my "well woman" checks are up to date.

So what the verdict? I am in the club?:tongue_smilie:

Welcome! I've been a member for about 7 years, and the docs are no help. I just take it one day at a time, realize it's a normal part of being 40 something, and will come to an end someday. :tongue_smilie:

Welcome to the roller coaster ride :glare::001_smile:

I wish I had been up on this in my late 30's where now, in hindsight, I am pretty sure things started to change. But I was blaming it on stress and being out of shape and any of a hundred other reasons. Now, anything wrong I can pretty much trace back to hormones. When you start poking around about symptoms you will find a huge list. If you have had an annual check up and everything is "normal" then I would say come on in.

OK, can someone please tell me what it's like to "feel fertile?"

I'm 48 years old and have never, ever felt like that. Or maybe I have and I just thought it was indigestion or something...:D

Description, please! :001_smile:

PS. Welcome to the club! Your membership badge and welcome package are in the mail. Don't forget to sign up for the dental plan and the lifetime supply of those pills that you take to help improve your memory but I forgot what they're called... :tongue_smilie:

OK, can someone please tell me what it's like to "feel fertile?"

I'm 48 years old and have never, ever felt like that. Or maybe I have and I just thought it was indigestion or something...:D

Description, please! :001_smile:

PS. Welcome to the club! Your membership badge and welcome package are in the mail. Don't forget to sign up for the dental plan and the lifetime supply of those pills that you take to help improve your memory but I forgot what they're called... :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Did you ever get a 'feeling', around the time of ovulation? How to describe it? Well, 'fertile'. And ready and willing to do something about it. Oh dear, this isn't easy :blushing:. Maybe someone else can supply the details ...

Cassy

:lol: Did you ever get a 'feeling', around the time of ovulation? How to describe it? Well, 'fertile'. And ready and willing to do something about it.

Nope. Nothing. Nada.

Well, maybe the ready and willing part, but I don't think it is at a consistent time of the month or anything. :tongue_smilie:

Apparently, I'm not in touch with my body. I know it likes Pumpkin Spice coffee, and that it isn't excited about Gingerbread coffee, but that's about as self-aware as I get. ;)

Edited by Catwoman

Nope. Nothing. Nada.

Well, maybe the ready and willing part, but I don't think it is at a consistent time of the month or anything. :tongue_smilie:

Apparently, I'm not in touch with my body. I know it likes Pumpkin Spice coffee, and that it isn't excited about Gingerbread coffee, but that's about as self-aware as I get. ;)

:lol: It's probably the indigestion resulting from such exotic tastes in coffee that's causing interference :001_smile:.

Cassy

:lol: Did you ever get a 'feeling', around the time of ovulation? How to describe it? Well, 'fertile'. And ready and willing to do something about it. Oh dear, this isn't easy :blushing:. Maybe someone else can supply the details ...

Cassy

Ok. OP here. I'll be the brave one and specify what "feeling fertile" means to me. Mid cycle, body ready and mind "in the mood". Big Time. Please don't ask me to be more specific, especially regarding "body ready" (cough, cough, egg white, cough :blushing:)

Ok. OP here. I'll be the brave one and specify what "feeling fertile" means to me. Mid cycle, body ready and mind "in the mood". Big Time. Please don't ask me to be more specific, especially regarding "body ready" (cough, cough, egg white, cough :blushing:)

:D Yep, that pretty much sums it up, I think. Thank you :001_smile:.

Maybe we should try some of that coffee Cat's on :tongue_smilie:.

Cassy

I'm 40 and for over a year have had pre-. spotting every month—sometimes for almost a week and sometimes for only a day. One month I'll have a long cycle, and the next will only be 3 weeks, then the next month it will be 30 days just like it used to be. The cycles themselves vary from month to month too. The doctor wasn't concerned at my well-woman check-up last year. I've been keeping track of my cycles on an iPod/iPad app and have discovered the only pattern is that there is no pattern whatsoever. :tongue_smilie:

I guess I'm just clueless. I have never actively tried to get pg, so maybe that's why I don't pay much attention to mood changes or "consistency changes." :blushing: Or maybe I'm just too preoccupied with the whole flavored coffee thing.

And you should really do something about that cough... ;)