Menu

C/C When does posting/discussing/passing along blogs turn into personal sin?

Inspired by the Mars Hill thread, but not specific to it, at what point do you feel that a Christian who blogs, comments on blogs, passes along blogs, ect. is acting in sin?

Is if fine if we're convinced that the person being criticized isn't a Christian? What if the person is probably a Christian, but not the "right type" (aka: kerfluffle)?

At what point are we responsible for our personal sin in passing along unverifiable, and probably incorrect information? Or is it not a sin, because it's on the internet?

Is internet gossip not the same as real gossip? Why not?

These are all things that I have thought through over the years on this board and I would love to hear your thoughts. I am hopeful that we can keep in constructive.

ETA: Is it different when a blog is about a public figure vs. a personal conflict? What about when people post WWYD questions here, but the question is about a situation that they are in no way involved in? Is that gossip?

I figure if someone is blogging about a topic, than it is a "free for all" and open to scrutiny. If it is a 3rd party blog, in that case, I guess it depends on the content. As with the Mark Driscoll post, it isn't from Mark Driscoll or Mars Hill, but rather it is about him and their church. BUT, I feel it's still fair game to discuss it. Mark is a big boy & I'm confident that he not only expects to be questioned but even welcomes differing opinions. In that particular situation, they can handle it. As for the "What would you do?" threads posted here - that is a little more grey. IMHO, some of those cross the line and are inappropriate. The other person being discussed is oblivious and cannot respond at all. We are only hearing one side of something, and although names are not mentioned, it is still unfair. At least that's my 2 cents.

Susan

Gossip is gossip. The internet just spreads it virally.

Public vs. private figure doesn't matter.

When you are talking about a person or situation to determine a course of action or thought- in other words, to constructively deal with or analyze something- that is not gossip.

I was interested in SWB's link to Driscoll on her fb page, along with her review of his book. It was informative. Threads that are specific about people and places, I generally leave alone, even if I don't like/ agree with the person/ situation. Just gets my bp up and really, if someone is spewing they aren't intersted in others opinons or facts.

There's lots of folks I don't like, don't agree with and really belive are bringing bad ju-ju (read judgement) upon themselves. Do I really need to make that public? No.

A blog post is public most of the time, right? So if someone blogs about their own life, then they are sharing information about themselves publicly. I wouldn't see passing that on or commenting on it as gossip, though depending on how you commented, you might get into maligning or some other sin.;)

A blog post about someone else, would be gossip by the blogger unless they had first hand information. Passing on the blogger's gossip would be wrong too because you are participating in it.

Inspired by the Mars Hill thread, but not specific to it, at what point do you feel that a Christian who blogs, comments on blogs, passes along blogs, ect. is acting in sin?

Is if fine if we're convinced that the person being criticized isn't a Christian? What if the person is probably a Christian, but not the "right type" (aka: kerfluffle)?

At what point are we responsible for our personal sin in passing along unverifiable, and probably incorrect information? Or is it not a sin, because it's on the internet?

Is internet gossip not the same as real gossip? Why not?

These are all things that I have thought through over the years on this board and I would love to hear your thoughts. I am hopeful that we can keep in constructive.

ETA: Is it different when a blog is about a public figure vs. a personal conflict? What about when people post WWYD questions here, but the question is about a situation that they are in no way involved in? Is that gossip?

to me it is a matter of intent -- if some is passing along -- as you say passing along unverifiable, and probably incorrect information? ----- the it is a sin. if you pass on information you believe to be incorrect, and don't say "hey this is wrong i am passing it to yo so you do not fall for it -- then you are, in effect, lieing, thus sinning.

Beyond that I am not sure why passing on a blog, or artical, or any other in formation would be a sin to start with -- if you are not doing so with malice and are not lieing, what is the issue?

Spreading misinformation, talking behind someone's back, maliciously speaking about someone-yes.

Ripping the cover off your own life so lies can be brought out? No.

Is an investigative reporter who works for the Enquirer and writes about John Edwards and his affair gossiping? Or reporting?

When people are being damaged the truth needs to be told to free them. When people are being told lies (Edwards, for instance) people deserve to be told the truth.

Edited by justamouse