Menu

After Song School Latin

Hopefully SSL 2 will be out soon. Last I heard they had completed writing it and were in the editing process. Keeping my fingers crossed that it comes out soon. I would love another gentle intro with songs and such before tackling a more "official" curriculum.

Also, I keep looking at Minimus Mouse and might mess around with that.

We will finish Song School Latin in a few months but dd is not ready for Latin for Children. What is a good fill in?

I have 8 year olds and researched and researched what to do after SSL. I decided on Lively Latin, but haven't found it super "lively" or friendly for anyone under 9 or 10.

Lots of parents will disagree. I've been trying to teach it to several kids of varying ages and nobody has been that into it. They find the teacher dry. Some of what the worksheets asks kids to do just seems very odd to me. Again, some parents love it.

I've thought about Minimus, but have heard it's fun but that kids don't seem to show much retention after it's over.

The author of Song School is supposedly coming out w/ SSL2. I wish she'd get it out!! :)

I'll be watching this thread. We loved Song School so much that I hate to get a curriculum that turns my kids off to Latin.

:lurk5:

Alley

My DD really liked Minimus and retained more than I'd expected. It's not the single vocabulary that gets retained from Minimus, it's the ability to read and understand Latin in context that lasts. LfC seemed to work in the short term (as did SSL), but a lot of the words didn't "Stick" with DD-she could memorize the songs or chants, but couldn't recognize the word outside the songs/chants. With Minimus, and now with Cambridge Latin, she may or may not be able to define a word in isolation (although she's getting better at it), but she can read and understand a passage, which is VERY empowering.

I figure that since she's young and has enough time for more formal Latin later, it's fine to let her learn it this way for now. I'm keeping LfC on the shelf for the later, though.

Currently, I'm holding out for SSL2 for my 8 year old. We have LfC for the older ones, but I know that there's no way she's ready for it. I'm really really hoping that SSL2 does come out this spring!

dmmetler- thanks for that recommendation! I'll look into Minimus as a backup.

I'm another SSL2 hold out. I keep waffling between starting LFC (dd would be 9 by then) or Lively Latin. Lately I've also considered going with an I Speak Latin and Getting Started with Latin combo (as I also have a 6yo.) I thought the last mention of SSL2 was for sometime this Spring? As long as it comes out by Summer, I won't have to worry about it. :)