Menu

Saxon K for PreK

Would you use Saxon K for a 4yr old or is it best to wait until 5? I am planning to use HWT for LA PreK but need something for math. I am also looking at the TouchMath K Readiness kit. Anyone familiar with these? I need a program or it won't happen.

Saxon K is a bit odd. We used it at the beginning of ds's K year and finished it in January, but I wouldn't use it again. It manages to be both too easy and too hard all at the same time. For example, some of the shapes and counting are very easy, but it also introduces skip counting with coins. That was WAY over ds's head and I was so worried only to discover that it's covered again in 1st grade.

If the overly hard things won't worry you and you don't mind the 25% or so that's too easy (imho, for just about any 4yo) then Saxon can work for you. We had better luck with SF Exploring Math K and Singapore Earlybird.

IME Saxon K is great for a 4yo/preK. It's very simple and fun. It starts with things like "let's count to 5." I'm using it right now with my 4yo and she loves it and asks for more. We started when my older daughter was just 5, and she demanded 3 lessons at a time--the next thing we knew we were using Saxon 1 for her K year.

Edit: and yeah, you can skip anything that's too hard. It won't matter.

I used Saxon K with dd when she was in Pre-K. We skipped just a few things, but overall, really enjoyed it. I just thought it so clever and intentional. We hung a chart on the wall to do a calendar, and also added in two of the Singapore Early Bird books (but I never got the teacher's guide, so I wasn't all that impressed). She went to preschool that year, twice a week, so she had a very rich "math environment," where math was all about number sense, using math to cook, measuring (mostly non-standard), counting, etc.

One thing you will want to think about is if you want to stay a year ahead in Saxon. Dd is using Saxon 3 in 2nd grade. We are on Lesson 91 (out of...160? Can't remember, but we will finish sometime in May). It's just now getting more difficult for her. I'm thinking we may switch to another program next year, if we do homeschool. We would switch back later, I think. Anyway, I really encourage you to check Saxon out--very well done, imo.

You could wait unil 5 yo for Saxon K, however, if you are definitley going to do a math program when your child is 4 then he/she'll will be ready for Saxon 1.

I actually don't do any math until K and then very informally via WTM. I did use Saxon K for my second child. But I skipped alot of the easy stuff. I thought it was a great way to get math done for her while hs her older brother. By the end of her K year we were doing some but not all of Saxon 1 and some other workbook stiff for money and time. For first grade she started in Saxon 2 and did just fine.

Hmm - did I even answer your question? I think SAxon K would be fine for a 4 yo and lots of fun with all the manipulatives. And since you said that you need a program - SAxon K will fit the bill.:)

Saxon K is fine for a 4yo. Just plan on maybe combining a couple of lessons, especially in the beginning. My 4yo loves it! There were a couple of concepts that were a little confusing to her, so we skipped them. It is more about learning through play at this age anyway. We'll cover any missed skills later.

P.S. This is not to imply in any way that Saxon is not complete. I am only refering to what we may have missed due to *me* skipping a couple of lessons in the K book.

We used Saxon K for Pre-K when oldest ds was 4 1/2. He really enjoyed it. We also supplemented it with lots of reading, and then slowly added phonics, and handwriting towards the end of that school year. He probably would have been fine without it, but he wanted to do school.

I have just started it in January with ds who just turned 5. He didn't seem ready in the fall, but now has expressed an interest in it. He has some delays in fine motor skills, but since there is very little writing required, I know that he will be fine.