Menu

Has anyone made a 504 plan for their learning challenged student?

My oldest with autism has an IEP. My middle dd with Celiac Disease has a 504. I may not be able to help you with your questions, but I am somewhat familiar with different accomodations that can be placed in either to help kids.

A 504 provides less protection, and is basically meant to level the playing field. My CD daughter does not have a learning disability (she actually has an IEP for gifted stuff), so her 504 contains things like the school providing a gf lunch, unlimited bathroom breaks, her own classroom supplies (no sharing sanitizer or pencils, etc) and a set of books kept at home. Things like that.

What exactly are you looking for? I'm happy to help if I can.

As far as I understand, a 504 plan for learning issues would involve accommodations (e.g., extra time, allowing typing, sitting up front) as opposed to special services (therapies, etc.) like those provided under an IEP. Pathetically, I know nothing more than that. Those accommodations are all things mentioned in the recommendations from my kids' neuropsych reports, but I think there may be more criteria for actually getting a 504 plan, in terms of an official LD diagnosis.

Edited by wapiti

I'd love to hear more about 504 plans or the need for anything else.

I have been undergoing evaluation for one of my children and the evaluator told me she is writing a 504 plan for my son. I certainly didn't ask for it and I'm not completely sure how it helps, but the more I read, the more I think it will be helpful for our future. We've homeschooled all his life and expect to continue to do so. As far as I'm concerned, I can accomodate any way I wish at home, but I've been asking about how to deal with the SAT, college, general life...

We did a 504 plan through the local school (my son took some classes there). When he participated in some standardized testing that they offered, he used the accommodations specified in the plan. If you're going to be needing to apply for accommodations for the SAT, it's a good idea to have a history of having them provided in an official setting and a 504 plan is a step towards making that happen.

If we need accomodations for the SAT, what else do I need besides a 504 plan?

... we officailly accomadate in the homeschool setting, but he's not in other settings that need accomodations (maybe boy scouts).

It depends on the disability and what accommodations you are wanting. One of the most difficult accommodations to get is extended time due to a learning disability (not due to a physical handicap). From what I understand, it is best to have the following when requesting extended time:

A history of the disabling condition, meaning that the child was diagnosed with the condition well before the request for accommodations is made (this will generally mean that the child will need to be tested twice, once early on to establish a history and again closer to when accommodations are requested as the documentation needs to be whatever the College Board considers current).

IQ and achievement scores.

Processing speed scores that are well below the 16th percentile (preferably in the 1st percentile)

Testing given under standard and extended time showing a large discrepancy.

A history of having accommodations officially provided and *used*. This is why we got the 504 plan and then had my son sit for testing using the accommodations.

Apparently, it is very common for homeschoolers to be denied accommodations. I was told by the people who did my son's evaluation (specifically to generate documentation to send to the College Board) that they expected that we would have to appeal because he was homeschooled. He was granted time and a half, though we asked for double time. His evaluators were pleasantly surprised that it went through so easily.

I don't think that the College Board recognizes accommodations granted in a homeschool setting as official.

Processing speed scores that are well below the 16th percentile (preferably in the 1st percentile)

Kai, if you don't mind me picking your brain, do you know whether there are tests besides the WISC that break out processing speed separately? I'm just wonderng how processing speed would be best documented in "older" kids, say middle school age or early high school. We will probably do some testing with ds8, turning 9 soon, later this year. On the one hand, I'd like to see an updated WISC score for him (his old coding subtest score was in the single digit percentiles), but on the other hand, there may be a chance he could score high enough on the SB5 to apply to a particular program. Maybe we'd need to do two tests...

Yes--the WJ Cognitive has a processing speed portion. My son's evaluators did both.

Thank you!! I just pulled out the WJ Cog that he had way back in K at school, and sure enough, there it is. There again, there was a big disparity between the two subtest scores for processing speed. I wonder if they're going to test him again - I think they might do it every three years, and it's almost time...

Thanks for all the info above about the SAT - that's helpful to know.

I read that the student needs a 504 plan in place in high school in order to get accommodations in college. I will begin high school with my dyslexic daughter next year, and I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row for her. It sounds like we will need an evaluation to get a 504 plan, is that right? She had one when she was in third grade, but obviously that was awhile ago.

Thanks for the input so far!

No, but I really don't think that the college board folks expect homeschooling parents to go to the PS to ask for accomodations for a child who has never stepped foot in their school. They would have to test the child (Which would be unnecessary if the parents already had had their child tested privately) to determine the LD. How could the PS write a list of accomodations for a child who is not even in their school, and will never be in their school? Would the accomodations be for the PARENTS to make at home? This makes no sense. Please enlighten me.

Ok, I just called the college board services for students with disabilities to find out how to apply for accomodations. You do NOT NEED to go to the PS to get a 504 or anything else. You do have to get your child TESTED, but you can do that privately.

Ok, I just called the college board services for students with disabilities to find out how to apply for accomodations. You do NOT NEED to go to the PS to get a 504 or anything else. You do have to get your child TESTED, but you can do that privately.

True--but it helps a great deal to have an *official* history of accommodations actually being used.

The person on the phone is not the person who decides whether to grant accommodations. Getting accommodations is not trivial--especially extended time accommodations.

True--but it helps a great deal to have an *official* history of accommodations actually being used.

Good to know.

I agree it is not trivial. I have heard it is hard to get accommodations. They are sending me an application, so I guess I will see what they say.

A 504 plan is the term used for an educational plan requesting accommodations in a public or private school setting whether elementary, middle, high school or college level. It is not the same as an IEP - a person can qualify for a 504 plan and NOT qualify for an IEP. You typically see IEP's for kids in elementary and sometimes middle - but generally not at the high school level at least if you are talking about LD's, aDD/ADHD or high functioning autism/aspies.

As a homeschooler you don't actually have to have a 504 plan that is presented to the public school ----BUT you do need to have your own documentation of 1) a current evaluation within the last three years of when you are requesting accommodation on the ACT or SAT and 2) a paper trail documenting that you provided your dc w/ the accommodations you are requesting. This can be done in several ways - 1) If you use any outside services or classes that you have requested accommodations for and accommodations were provided you need that written up --- for example if Suzy participates in a weekly co-op for history and has a scribe for her history notes and takes exams w/ extended time then you need to write that up and have someone else sign agreeing to it from the co-op

2) write your own educational plan for each year and keep a file for your dc --- I have for each of my special needs kiddos a document that says the school year and lists possible options for accommodations that I will provide --- for example

- Suzy will utilize a word processing program for all written assignments.

- Suzy will take the ITBS and will be allowed time and a half due to slower processing speed

- Due to dygraphia Suzy will utilize a scribe for all written exams or will be allowed to take oral exams

Etc. - you get the idea --- you are simply creating the same paper trail as the public school would but you keep all the records and make the recommendations for your dc's accommodations based upon the eval that you rec'd.

For the ACT or SAT you will need to complete a separate form that asks when documentation was completed - accommodations provided for the dc - if you have a copy of the individualized plan that you've put together that is what you attach. I haven't had an issue w/ being granted extended time, a longer break bet/ subsets, and an exam scribe to complete the scantron sheet.

In addition - when a dc moves on from hsing either to the public or private school setting or to a post-secondary institution they will need to have current, within 3 years, testing/evals to provide for documentation and they will need to show and be able to explain what accommodations they utilized in their homeschool and what they will want/need for the new environment. There are so many things we do in hsing that we might not think of as an accommodation - but in a brick and mortar school it would be --- if you allow your dc to take essay exams on the computer that's an accommodation. If you read the test or text to your dc - that's an accommodation. If you allow your dc to take untimed tests - that's an accommodation. But, instead of just doing it write it down.

• 1 month later...
Guest serenamann

IEP is for learning problems. 504 is for medical diagnosis (wheelchair, ADHD, heart condition, etc.). ADHD could get an IEP or 504. Both offer modifications/accommodations, but the IEP is more intense (child may be pulled out of regular class for extra help, etc.) 504 give mods in the regular class.

504 plans follow post-secondary and even into the workplace if needed. Having a 504 in place in graduate school (and college, and an IEP in high school. It's likely that if I were in school now I'd have had a 504 overall) was helpful in getting accommodations on professional exams and in getting the ADA accommodations set up for work. Whoever did your evaluation should be able to help you get the accommodations needed written up in the appropriate manner to qualify. If you're accommodating at home and your DC will need similar accommodations on future tests or in classroom situations, it is essential to have that paper trail. Do not assume, for example, that your teen would necessarily be allowed to pull out a cell phone and take a picture of notes on a whiteboard-that may or may not be allowed without a 504. Some colleges do not allow use of laptops to type notes without documentation. And anything affecting assessment really, really needs to be documented, especially if you want to use it on the SAT-the college board can be awful about this.

I actually have a 504 documentation letter for my DD's ear protectors for her auditory hypersensitivity-I got it when she was 3 and a flight attendant gave us trouble with her Pelnor ear protectors. even though DD technically doesn't qualify for a SID DX, her pediatrician had no trouble doing the paperwork so I could pull it out if needed, and about every two years, they just change the dates and print a new copy.