Menu

Facebook question

Your privacy settings are intact. If you have them set so that only your Friends can see what you post--not your Friends' Friends--then only your friends can see. That whole "hover-your-cursor" thingie is an urban legend.

For my own wall, that's true. However, let's say I am friends with Jane and Sara, who are NOT friends with one another. If Jane posts something on her own wall, and I comment on it, Sara will see whatever I comment in her ticker (unless Jane has her post set to friends only). This is true even if Jane has her general settings so that only friends can see her wall and photos and such.

I know this because some family drama ensued this past weekend after someone saw a comment I made on a friend's link. My relative saw it in her ticker, even though the friend on whose link I commented has a VERY locked down profile. You can't see anything except her profile pic unless she friends you, but her link and all the comments about it popped up in my relative's ticker feed. :(

Don't post on anyone's wall unless their settings are Friends only if you want to make sure no one except your friends sees your activity--and that includes public pages. You can check the privacy settings for any FB post by looking at the symbol on the right on the same line where you see Like.

Don't post on anyone's wall unless their settings are Friends only if you want to make sure no one except your friends sees your activity--and that includes public pages. You can check the privacy settings for any FB post by looking at the symbol on the right on the same line where you see Like.

I think you miss OP's point. And it's my bone OF contention too. All of MY FRIENDS can see what I post on anywhere else on FB and that is what I DON'T like. So this relative can see what I post on that friend page over there even if they do not know each other. ALL of my comments to everyone I post to, are visible to every friend and family member I have friended on FB. So no more commiserating with my pal about our MIL's, lol, cuz my MIL can see what I posted, even though my pal and MIL are not friends.

This a new thing, just since the ticker feed came about. Because in the past, I could have my settings so that my posts to other's wall did not show up in my profile. So you could not see if I was having a conversation with someone else.

NOW though, all of my friends can see my conversations with everyone. I know because I can see ALL of their conversations!!

Why would it matter, right? They are all my friends and family, right? Well, maybe, but on the other hand, if I am having a conversation on with this friend about Homeschooling on her wall, I don't necessarily need everyone else that is my friend, especially those that frown upon HSing to be able to read that.

It's feels, well, not private.

It's why I have curtailed most of my FB activity. Mostly just post photos and mundane comments for relatives to see my children. No deep conversations because I don't need EVERYONE I know involved seeing all of my conversations.

IDK being a brand new Christian, I kind of like all of my friends seeing my posts. Then they can guide me if need be.I usually send messages if this is my purpose.

Maybe, but often conversations are started by others who are friends with my friends. It's a group conversation with adults that I may feel like participating in which was kind of the fun of FB for a mom at home with three children all day, but now I hold back because I know everyone I am friends with will be able to read it. I'm a private person so I don't like everyone knowing all my conversations all of the time.

If I just wanted to email everyone, why even bother with FB? I'd just send them an email or text.

Maybe, but often conversations are started by others who are friends with my friends. It's a group conversation with adults that I may feel like participating in which was kind of the fun of FB for a mom at home with three children all day, but now I hold back because I know everyone I am friends with will be able to read it.
I see.