Menu

help with staticy hair

My four girls have very long hair, and this time of year is terrible on it. We heat with wood, so the air stays pretty dry no matter what, and the girls' hair gets so tangled when it is down from the static. It also feels like I am ripping it when I try to brush it because of the static. Out of desperation this morning, I took a dryer sheet and rubbed it over their hair while I was trying to get them ready for church! Only helped a little :glare:

Any tips?

I got this tip from a beauty magazine a long time ago; apparently it is what hairdressers for "the stars" do: Rub some hand cream on your hands, and then run them through the dry hair until the static is gone. You may need more or less hand-cream depending on the length of the hair and the amount of static. It does work.

I also keep my hairbrush wrapped in a Bounce dryer sheet.

I got this tip from a beauty magazine a long time ago; apparently it is what hairdressers for "the stars" do: Rub some hand cream on your hands, and then run them through the dry hair until the static is gone. You may need more or less hand-cream depending on the length of the hair and the amount of static. It does work.

I also keep my hairbrush wrapped in a Bounce dryer sheet.

That's interesting because I rub hand lotion on my pantyhose (when on) to keep the static cling away from my dresses. Seems it would be greasy on the hair, but a little spray on conditioner would work as well.

Average humidity inside our house is 16% - my hair is usually standing on end.

The obvious choice is a humidifier, but we haven't spent the money yet.

The only product I've found that helps my hair is Suave Professional Shampoo/Conditioner. I use the green bottles but I don't remember the name. Leave-in conditioner helps somewhat but leaves my hair feeling icky by the end of the day.

Otherwise, I'd recommend braiding their hair while it is still damp everyday. I'm sure it's not ideal, but I cannot stand my static-y hair and imagine they don't like it either!

If you are using a wood stove for heat can you add a pot of water to the top for humidity? Also making a mix of 1/8 conditioner and 7/8 water makes a great leave-in to use during brushing. Squirt some on hands and run through or use a squirt bottle if you have one.