Menu

What order to read the Lord of the Rings books? And is the Hobbit one of them?

the hobbit is more of a "prequel".

I couldn't get into them (not even in high school when my best friend was really into them), but three of my kids adored them and started reading them around 10. 1dd says she's a classics major because of tolkein.

we have the extended versions of the movies on dvd . . . . .

I just started reading The Hobbit aloud to my dd who is almost 9. I've never read this series either (nor seen the movies).

Once we finish Hobbit, will she be old enough to appreciate Lord of the Rings books (just turning 9)? I'd love to read them myself, but even more if we read them together.

The Hobbit is more of a children's book. Enjoyable by everyone, I think, and more accessible than the LotR trilogy, but it's a very different tone over all. You don't have to read it first, and in some ways, I think it may be harder to get into LotR if you've just read The Hobbit and are expecting LotR to be similar.

Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return of the King must be read in order. They're almost more like one book published in volumes than separate pieces of a trilogy.

The Hobbit is more of a children's book. Enjoyable by everyone, I think, and more accessible than the LotR trilogy, but it's a very different tone over all. You don't have to read it first, and in some ways, I think it may be harder to get into LotR if you've just read The Hobbit and are expecting LotR to be similar.

Dd decided to go w/ the trilogy first based on what Abbey said here. So off to order Fellowship! Thanks!