Menu

Neuropsych evalution - how beneficial considering $$$$

Ummto4

I have a son who I suspect has dyslexia tendencies but I don't know how beneficial a neuropsych. evaluation would be, considering this type of evaluation will not be covered by insurance (talking about $4k here).

Some of his problems:

- memorization problem in math (multiplication and division), English (poem), and Arabic (Quranic verses).

- Reading problem.

a. skipping/substituting words while reading aloud but when I ask him to re-read the words, he can do it. So it's not phonics problem. He also understands enough the stories but is shaky about details. He's almost 5th grade and I really want him to be able to read at a higher level.

b. he doesn't like reading, except: Geronimo Stilton series, Horrible Histories, Wimpy Kid, and the Big Nate. I tried to get him to read Hank the cowdog, some of enid blyton's mysteries, easier roald dahl series, encyclopedia brown, American history chapter books to go with last year's American history study, etc, but nothing becomes his favorite. I brought him to the library and bookstores, but he wouldn't pick any book. I showed him sci-fi books (Percy Jackson etc), but he's not interested. He used to love picture books, but won't pick one now because he said he's too old for those. Non fictions send him to snore-ville.

c. although reading in English is not really a problem, Arabic reading is really a problem. I teach him the art of Quranic recitation (in Arabic of course), and he's still struggling. Heck, he's still in primer - 4 years after we started. So I know he must be dyslexic or has a processing issue.

- It took him 3 years to learn cursive, and is still slow. I give up on it though. He's just going to print. He still sometimes reverses letters. With math, he sometimes reverses number order (thirty five --> sometimes he writes 53, especially when he works with column addition and subtraction).

- It was difficult to teach him the convention of writing (capital letters, period to close a sentence, spacing, making a line using ruler, etc). Spelling is so-so. But he made a great stride lately.

- He bombed ITBS test. Math - 75%ile (lower than what I expect him to be), verbal test - 40%ile(below average). I only prepped him for a month prior to testing.

- Works slowly. Sometimes I accuse him to dawdle/daydream. He said that he's focusing.

He also used to be a late talker and a late writer.

What he's good at:

- computer games

- math concept, mental math.

- imagining things and coming up with funny stories.

- coming up with his own infomercials.

- during picture study, he gives non-standard answers (as in - most people will think that the picture depicts a particular story/scene, but his opinion differs).

Does this warrant a visit to a neuropsych, or is there any book I can read to improve his weaknesses and strengthen his strong point ?

Thanks

Edited by mom2moon2

I am not saying that it is the problem, but being able to re-read words could mean he is figuring the words out from context.

How he reads a list of words or nonsense words would show you that better.

I just say that b/c my son can "figure out" words in context that he cannot sound out. To a point that is fine and good, but for him I know he is still working on phonics.

Also, how old is he?

Also, have you tried to make his Quranic memorizing multisensory in some way? That is what I have found I need to do with my son, though I am still early on trying different things.

Have you read Overcoming Dyslexia? I think it is very worthwhile. I would read it before thinking about doing an eval, b/c it will make you more knowledgable going in, if you decide to do it. There are other books, too, but that is the top one for me.

edit: Not just phonics, but that kind of thing.

Edited by Lecka

I'm assuming that you live in the US. If so, $4k for testing seems excessive. You should consider calling around and check the mental health portion of your health insurance to see if they will pay a portion of the testing. If not, consider looking up the Scottish Rite learning centers and discover whether there is one in your area. Scottish Rite provides free dyslexia screening to the public. The one caveat to Scottish Rite is that they don't IQ test or test for dyscalculia; however, this info is based on my local chapter, 5 years ago, so you will need to call. Scottish Rite are volunteers and keep odd hours, like only open in the afternoon. Local PS systems should test for free (due to Wrights Law); however, I have never pursued that option.

Given the tremendous obstacles in learning that you have described, 75% on the math portion of a standardized test would hardly be considered bombing in my world. According to Ronit Bird, 50% of individuals with dyslexia are diagnosed with dyscalculia as well. Your DS sounds incredibly bright.

Just one mad woman's opinion...I consider testing important at least twice. Once to confirm the issues that you are seeing, and later during high school, so that your DS can take the neuro-report to his college and get accommodations like extra testing time, possibly a note-taker provided, permission to substitute a core class, and/or calculator use. Many home educators hold a differing view and I respect that.

Blessings, Heather

Edited by Heathermomster

Well, I had a horrible experience with my dd's neuropsych guy. Once he heard I was hsing her, he just wrote us off. Total waste of money. Plus, his "speciality" was not the more academic stuff that I needed. He specialized in memory issues.

So, if you are going to pony up the money, I would really look into getting some referrals, ask a lot of questions, etc. Hope this helps.

I'm assuming that you live in the US. If so, $4k for testing seems excessive. You should consider calling around and check the mental health portion of your health insurance to see if they will pay a portion of the testing. If not, consider looking up the Scottish Rite learning centers and discover whether their is one in your area. Scottish Rite provides free dyslexia screening to the public. The one caveat to Scottish Rite is that they don't IQ test or test for dyscalculia; however, this info is based on my local chapter, 5 years ago, so you will need to call. Scottish Rite are volunteers and keep odd hours, like only open in the afternoon. Local PS systems should test for free (due to Wrights Law); however, I have never pursued that option.

Given the tremendous obstacles in learning that you have described, 75% on the math portion of a standardized test would hardly be considered bombing in my world. According to Ronit Bird, 50% of individuals with dyslexia are diagnosed with dyscalculia as well. Your DS sounds incredibly bright.

Just one mad woman's opinion...I consider testing important at least twice. Once to confirm the issues that you are seeing, and later during high school, so that your DS can take the neuro-report to his college and get accommodations like extra testing time, possibly a note-taker provided, permission to substitute a core class, and/or calculator use. Many home educators hold a differing view and I respect that.

Blessings, Heather

Yes, I'm considering testing or whatever to confirm what I'm seeing and to help him in logic and rhetoric stage. He needs to be able to read and understand a variety of books.

The second one would be during high school to get accommodation for college, CC, and standardized tests.

I don't think he has dyscalculia; he's good at math. His multiplication is improving but he still needs to work with division.

Definitely call around to other neuropsychs or ask what you're getting that it should be so expensive. The Eides are $3500, but they spend a ton of time and bring in a whole team of people I think. (at least from what I read on their site) Our eval was $1500, a pretty typical rate for around here. Our np was *amazing*. There's something cathartic about finally getting it all OUT and off your chest. *You* have to teach this child, and you *deserve* to have someone to talk with who actually understands all this. It's not just about the kid. Yes, it's for the kid, getting accommodations, getting correct information so you can make your best decisions. But how about yourself and the idea that a mom shouldn't HAVE to sit here sweating with these problems, wondering what in the WORLD is wrong or why things aren't working, when the information is so READILY available.

I understand money, believe me. But as long as the money is there or the school system can be compelled (and assuming the np isn't an anti-hs nut), I think it's worth the money for the eval NO MATTER WHAT IT TURNS UP. Worst that happens is you go in and find your kid is some brilliant genius with no problems and a few quirks. Now you have lots of stats and validation for why it's hard to teach him. But if he DOES find something, then you've got that information. You haven't glossed over it, hoping it would go away. Almost none of these problems do. Kids with problems end up adults with quirks. Might be minor, but the adults still know they're there.

In your case, it could be the diagnosis won't be what you expect. It's really, really hard to guess correctly on diagnoses. When you have the raw facts in front of you, then you'll know, and you'll know what to do about it. Let's just say I feel really bad, REALLY BAD, that I didn't have the numbers 5 years ago that I have now. I could have made a lot of accommodations and tweaks that would have made her more successful.

I agree with OhElizabeth that getting a diagnosis is valuable. My son was already diagnosed with ADD and Aspergers, but we didn't know about his LDs, his high IQ, his low working memory. We learned lots of worthwhile information.

We got our referral from our pediatrician. Since it is expensive, you do want to check around and make sure you're getting someone good. Ours cost about $1,500, and this group of practitioners is not known for being inexpensive. So I question $4,000 if you're talking U.S.

We opted out of going through the public school because the waiting list was so long. But that is worth a try if you can't work out anything else.

I didn't consider it a matter of getting labels, but it's priceless for understanding what your child's strengths and weaknesses are. Otherwise, you just have to guess.