Menu

Why does my Golden Retriever have such horrible breath?

He eats a no grain food plus occassional raw bones and peanut butter or liver paste. The little dog eats the exact same diet and doesn't have bad breath. The Golden also makes frequent licking/swallowing sounds for no apparent reason. He has access to plenty of water. I asked the vet and he suggested changing his diet which we did but it just seem to make the matter worse. Any idea what the problem is or what we can do about it?

IDK--did he do a dental exam? Could be gum disease/decay. I've heard of dogs having bad breath due to reflux, too!

ETA: Maybe the liver paste is stinky?

Mine often has bad breath from eating deer scat. Any of that around the yard? Other fecal matter?

Nope, teeth are good. I actually get comments on how good they are which I attribute to planty of bones. While he does have a terrible habit of eating inedible things, I don't think feces is a problem. The liver paste is a rare treat and the breath problem is pretty much all the time. I think it could be a digestive issue. It smells like typical big dog bad breath only much worse. I have tried the breath freshing treats but they only work for a very short period of time. I am wondering if there is something I can add to his diet that might help. He is otherwise very healthy with good skin and coat although he is a bit overweight. Could that be related?

Dental problems are, by far, the most common problem causing bad breath. He likely has rotting, infected, pus filled gums and teeth. You are smelling his rotting flesh. Gross, but very true. We call that sewer mouth.

The most underrated procedure before doing it, and most often ecstatically appreciated by the owner after it . . . Is dentistry. We routinely have owners who, at the 10 day recheck, tell us that they had thought their dog was just getting old and slow, but now they are "like a puppy again".

If your vet has not recommended a comprehensive dental assessment and cleaning, then you should find a vet with a strong interest in dentistry and get it done. Look for a vet who does dental x rays and has a clear interest in dentistry, bc there is a wide range of abilities in dentistry among vets.

Good dentistry is expensive due to the needed anesthesia, montioring, and staff and vet time intensive nature of the procedure. Don't go cheap, as bad dentistry can cause more problems than it helps.