Menu

re: PS and homeschool in CA rules

Technically, yes. Private school students (which includes homeschooled students) may take classes at local public schools if there's room. Few homeschoolers have been able to find room.:glare:

But it's ok, as most homeschoolers haven't found it necessary to work very hard at getting into public school classes. They just start their own. :D

I personally know two families who have homeschooled while having their kids involved on some level in the local public school. One friend currently has her high school aged son in athletics at the public high school. I can't recall what the other family was involved in, but I think it was music in elementary school. So I would say it is possible, but it may come down to how easy to work with your local school chooses to be.

I personally know two families who have homeschooled while having their kids involved on some level in the local public school. One friend currently has her high school aged son in athletics at the public high school. I can't recall what the other family was involved in, but I think it was music in elementary school. So I would say it is possible, but it may come down to how easy to work with your local school chooses to be.

I would agree.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in another state-- but just had to add that I had a meeting with the local school superintendent of curriculum, and he told me that homeschoolers are welcome to participate in any part of PS they like, from band to debate to math to musicals. He said, "it's your school system, use it however you like!" I was so surprised because of the common perception that PS frown on such things. I will be taking advantage of this for sure!

I would never have known about this, had I not asked.