Menu

Needing dishwasher recommendations, please.

Dishwasher is toast. It's a KitchenAide, 4 years old. Called a repairman and it will cost $350 to replace? Really. It cost me $125 to pay the repairman to tell me that. Really. Buying a new dishwasher this afternoon when I get off work. Do I buy a Bosch? I'm not spending over $800 but would love to keep it in the $600 to $700 range. Will not buy a KitchenAide again. Ever. Thank you! Christy

Do not buy Maytag. My 2 yo machine has broken down 3x since the warranty went out at a year. It sits now waiting for the dump. Their customer service stinks. We are not fixing it again.

I might put drawers in the space and let my kids handwash until they all move out.

We're big fans of Whirlpool. When we bought our house in 1987, we agreed that the first thing we'd need to replace was the dishwasher, which was probably installed when the house was built in 1968. Twenty years later, we were still using the old dishwasher. We finally replaced it, with another Whirlpool.

I'm sure they were built better in 1968, but we've had zero problems with the Whirlpool in four years, which is probably between 750 and 1,000 loads for us. I still miss the old one, though. Its drying cycle really dried, including plasticware. The new one is apparently a victim of energy efficiency. It dries regular plates and so forth fine, but it leaves water on the plastic stuff.

I had a scratch and dent bosch about 6.5 years ago (and a few houses ago) that I loved. We have since moved and will probably need to replace our ancient Jenn Air at some point, so I have looked into it a little bit. I remember reading Bosch now makes some of their lower end products in the US, and there's some question about whether they are the same quality. I think one example was that the stainless steel in some of these lower end models is just screwed to plastic in the interior, vs. a true stainless tub. I may be remembering incorrectly. My impression was also that Lowes/Home Depot stores were selling a lot of these lower end Boschs.

The only thing I didn't like about our original Bosch was that it had long cycles, but it wasn't a big deal. We could run it on economy wash and everything came out sparkling clean. We didn't have all of the bells and whistles, and the appliance guy basically told us it would absolutely clean the same. That was all before the lower end models came out though apparently. Just something to look into possibly.

eta: lots of info on the gardenweb forums usually, although many people there buy really high end products. We also considered Asko and Miele. A year or so ago when we were looking I think it was Asko that was running a 5 year warranty, or maybe even 10? The downside is that parts for those types of models can be much harder to come by and not all repair people see a lot of them.

Edited by Momof3littles

I have a Miele, it's wonderful. I also have a Miele washing machine, tumble dryer and even a Miele vacuum cleaner. The washing machine and tumble dryer I've had for fifteen years and they've never broken down (I know that's tempting fate, I'll probably be on here tomorrow asking for washing machine recommendations :D).

Best wishes

Cassy

We recently purchased a Bosch in your price range. It works beautifully- quiet but long cycle. However, it replaced a dishwasher that was pouring water on the floor and not cleaning the dishes. We're still in the honeymoon phase but so far we're pleased. And no more keeping a bowl and towel under the dishwasher.

I have a Miele, it's wonderful. I also have a Miele washing machine, tumble dryer and even a Miele vacuum cleaner. The washing machine and tumble dryer I've had for fifteen years and they've never broken down (I know that's tempting fate, I'll probably be on here tomorrow asking for washing machine recommendations :D).

Best wishes

Cassy

We've had our Miele dishwasher at least 5 years and it's been amazing. The configuration is brilliant - it can pack tons of dishes in. It's water and detergent efficient. And it runs so quiet I can hardly tell its going. Love it.

We've had great luck with our Kenmore Elite. A lot quieter than our previous Maytag, and I guess Maytags have had repair issues lately.

Does the Bosch still have the screen/cup thing that you need to empty after each load? (my mother's has that) She says her Bosch is very quiet.