Menu

pencil grip - how does this look?

blondeviolin

My five-year-old seems to have typical handwriting for her age. I'm not sure if this pencil grip is going to inhibit her handwriting developing and getting better as she ages.

This is how she starts:

6715873799_67bba33904.jpg

It can deteriorate to this (especially when she's not paying attention to it):

6715875013_cf07f130c4.jpg

I've tried to remind her to do the HWOT pencil flip trick thing, but she still reverts to this. It may not help that I hold my pencil with what I thin is a quad grip and the two most important fingers I use in my grip are also my thumb and my middle finger.

It looks like this:

the fingers should be relaxed and not white/red from pressure

Afb0233.jpg

I know how it SHOULD look. I have no problem if she wants to use a quadropod grip, but the reason it deteriorates is because she is placing extra pressure. No matter how often I tell her she doesn't have to push hard, she still does. We were using dry erase for a bit, but now my markers are all squished because she uses pressure. :glare: Tips on this one?

I was reading Home Schooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit a while back and seem to remember her mentioning something about one of her children holding the pencil too tight and what she did....but I can't remember what it was! I'll see if I can find it for you later today. Sorry I'm not more help. My 4 year old has a horrible time holding his pencil right and I'm so bad at correcting him because my 5 year old has always held hers correctly!

I know how it SHOULD look. I have no problem if she wants to use a quadropod grip, but the reason it deteriorates is because she is placing extra pressure. No matter how often I tell her she doesn't have to push hard, she still does. We were using dry erase for a bit, but now my markers are all squished because she uses pressure. :glare: Tips on this one?

You could try mechanical pencils, if she presses too hard then the tip will break. This is what worked for my oldest son.

You could try mechanical pencils, if she presses too hard then the tip will break. This is what worked for my oldest son.

:iagree: -- or purchase some of these pencil grips:

http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Grip-Ergonomic-Assorted-TPG-11106/dp/B001SN8HOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326840142&sr=8-1

They worked wonders for my 15 yo...

:iagree: -- or purchase some of these pencil grips:

http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Grip-Ergonomic-Assorted-TPG-11106/dp/B001SN8HOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326840142&sr=8-1

They worked wonders for my 15 yo...

My kids hated grips and honestly a quadpod grip is ok, as long as they aren't putting to much pressure on things when they write. My youngest is a quadpod and doesn't have any issues with that because he uses an appropriate amount of pressure.

It looks pretty good. But here's something else to think about: posture. I know we hsers are all relaxed, lol, but really, if we teach our dc to sit upright when they're writing, they will feel better, and their penmanship will be neater, as well. Mrs. Spalding wrote about that in WRTR. :)

Yup. My youngest has the same grip and mechanical pencils did the trick, though I'd be lying if I said the first few weeks were peaceful. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: Handwriting was one of the biggest issues I felt like I had to tackle going into this school year. My Dd6 didn't have a problem with her pencil grip or pressure she had a problem with the angle that she was writing at. She was writing with her hand above the words she was writing, if that makes sense. I think my Dd problem/habit came from the fact that I had, had her working directly in workbooks. So she figured out a way to work around the bulkiness of the book and started writing funny. :glare:

So this year I have been trying to keep an eye on it and correct her whenever I see her writing incorrectly. But I have found that the only way I have been able to do that is by literally sitting next to her when she is writing (which isn't easy with 3 other little ones ;)). Her handwriting did get a lot better over a few months, but the month break we just had didn't help. I am having to sit next to her again and correct her. I just hope someday she will can write correctly without me reminding her. Sorry I don't really have any tips that can help other than Hang in there!

Edited by ForeverFamily