Menu

How to improve reading level??

sweetsouthern

i just tested both my girls using 5 different online reading tests and then averaged the scores. my 6th grader is reading at about 8.5 and my 5th grader is reading at about 5.5 (but also struggling with fluency a bit). what are some ways we can increase the reading levels, especially for my youngest? thanks so much!:grouphug:

Reading a lot at their teachable level. So, probably early 9th for the oldest and late fifth for the younger. You can look up book titles by level online. Also, have each kid keep a journal of new words encountered in their reading. These words can be used in fun practice activities in the days following.

For the younger, make a whisper phone using pvc pipe, and have her read passages a few times.

Have her read. That is the best way. Give her books below level to increase speed. Give her books.at level to build fluency and give her books above level to push her. Have her read out loud to you, daily. Have her tell you about what she has read to her self, nothing formal, just ask her what it was bout, what she liked or disliked, who her favorite character was. Just have a conversation with her to show interest in her reading.

My 6 year old is required to read silently for 15 minutes a day, any thing he chooses. He reads aloud to me from his grammar lesson every school day and we do read alouds at a higher level. Sometimes I just have him read the firsy paragraph of each chapter then I take over. Your kids need to read more than 15 minutes, bit a little bit of reading daily OS what they need.

You cam get the Johnson O'Connor's research center vocabulary series if you want good vocabul:tongue_smilie:ary builders. I love these! And they are cheap.

For increasing reading level (that is increasing the word difficulty and organization of the sentences) I would have the child read more difficult assignments a few times a week, taking the more difficult words and either decoding them or breaking them into syllables, discussing the meanings, word origins, etc. (NOT every day!)

To increase fluency daily reading a little below grade level (or even a lot below!) is useful.

i just tested both my girls using 5 different online reading tests and then averaged the scores. my 6th grader is reading at about 8.5 and my 5th grader is reading at about 5.5 (but also struggling with fluency a bit). what are some ways we can increase the reading levels, especially for my youngest? thanks so much!:grouphug:

Which online reading test did you use? Just curious. Thanks.