Menu

dropped off my aspie at horse camp today..

Can you believe. I am so nervous. I took her to drama last week which didnt work out...so what was left to do? Take her to horse camp. :D LOL

I found a local equestrian park that offers camp on days off of school from 9-4:30. I asked my girls and they both wanted to try it out. It is about 18 miles up the road...so I am a bit nervous to have taken them so far...but my aspie went with her little sister. I told the guy she had a lot of anxiety but she seemed fine. She wasnt nervous at all. I think it will be great!! BUT. can you imagine what a nervous wreck I am? I have no idea why...I guess because these short hour classes always are so crazy for us...that an all day camp scares me. BUT...at least she has her sister and the weather is amazing today!

Fingers crossed this works out...I am looking for something to help her be a little more independent and I hope this works out!!! :)

Is she in a helmet? As long as she is, don't worry about it! My dd LOVED the horses when we did some riding a couple summers ago. The horses just suck up the love and communicate with the kids. It's really good for their core strength and tone too.

On the drama, I don't know how old your dd is, but it might be something she grows into later. I wouldn't toss it as an idea forever. She might be ready to do something at a small level, just to get accustomed to the environment, before she jumps in with both feet. For instance, you could go to plays together and then go backstage to meet the actors. Or go to the director talks they give to school kids in the afternoons before the performance. So she'd ease into it and transition in, getting familiar, wetting her feet.

BUT. can you imagine what a nervous wreck I am? I have no idea why...I guess because these short hour classes always are so crazy for us...that an all day camp scares me.

I can imagine... Because I would be a nervous wreck too! We're still at the "trying to get through a one hour class" stage with our Aspie DS, so I can't even imagine dropping him off for an all-day camp at this point.

I hope both of your DDs have a wonderful time, and that your DD with Asperger's will get a huge confidence boost from her experience today! :)

Horses are WONDERFUL for kids with special needs.

Just be careful as our starting dd out with therapeutic lessons at 3 later turned into lessons with a friend, then a pony boarded at a friend's house to 3 horses at our own house, and now 4 horses and jumping lessons for one of the girls at our new house.

Let us know how it goes.

Horses are WONDERFUL for kids with special needs.

Just be careful as our starting dd out with therapeutic lessons at 3 later turned into lessons with a friend, then a pony boarded at a friend's house to 3 horses at our own house, and now 4 horses and jumping lessons for one of the girls at our new house.

Let us know how it goes.

*this* scares me. :001_smile: my 12 yr old daughter has been taking therapeutic riding lessons for about a year and a half... she never really thought much about horses before that. now... well... all she wants is a horse. she loves them!

We are thankful we live in the country and are able to do this. LOTS of work though---2-3 feedings a day, EVERY day, no matter what the weather but the benefits are worth the work for us.

Yes... we don't live in a place that would allow for a horse. We do have a friend who has horses (she trains them). She's had my daughter over to help care for the horses --which has been nice!

Well...Our experience was a bit mixed but ultimately I think it turned out well.

The main lady running the event was wonderful. She was a bit older and very inviting to the kids. She had a true gift working with kids. She made sure to engage all the kids and spoke very calmly to them!

Later I found out, though, that another lady came to help that was terrible! She made several comments to my daughter that had been inappropriate for speaking to any child. Very bossy and annoyed. I heard her say one comment while I was in the parking lot but I didnt realize the extent of it. My daughter was so angry about her...but I gotta say...My DD (10) told me she told the lady she was wrong and stood up for herself! That made me super happy and although she had to deal with this lady...I took it as a growing experience that she didnt let that woman talk down to her!! Thank God I had my 9 yo there who was with her sister and confirmed her story. I think she may have helped keep my 10 yo more relaxed.

Either way, I am having my husband call the city and voice his concerns about that one lady and let them know how wonderful the main woman in charge was. It is unfortunate but I think in all it worked out and now my DD is interested in trying another camp at another ranch! I am thrilled! I was shocked to see her running around having a great time and dealing with the changes in her routine. I am just trying to find something that works so we can have some fun while trying new things!!

I wish it wasnt so expensive though! We live outside of Ft. Lauderdale...not a lot of ranches around here that are low cost...they are all so expensive.

updated:

The lady called me back and was so apologetic. She offered my daughter a free day if she wants to retry it...not sure if she will go...but she said she realized that lady was having a bad day and should have stepped in. Glad she addressed the issue with her now that she knows.

Edited by mchel210