Menu

Math Questions (R&S, SM, Saxon...)

mommy5

In a few months we'll be starting our 3rd year homeschooling ... my oldest will be in 2nd grade. Our first year we used MUS - Primer and he did ok with it. He seemed to need more pictures and colors, etc. based on what he was telling me ... he didn't like the workbook. So, we switched to Singapore. Book 1A he did pretty well with ... we are now in 1B and a lot of it has been a struggle. I think we haven't done enough drill work ... I'm not completely pleased with myself and my teaching of this because I don't find the way they are presenting it to be as to the point as I'd like. I'm looking into switching curriculum or at least switching for several months to catch him up on more math basics and memorization. I'm really trying to decide between Saxon and R&S. I wouldn't mind doing several months of "review" because I think it would help him get the concepts better than he does right now. My DD is starting Kindergarten this year as well and I'm wondering if there is a curriculum I can use for both of them or if I should stick with 2 different programs? If I got Saxon 1 could I use it for both DD in Kindergarten and DS in 2nd grade and supplement with SM for DS? Thoughts?

If he didn't like the plainness of the MUS workbook would R&S or Saxon be any different? (I haven't seen the Saxon early years.)

Horizons might be one to look at. It has a nice layout with plenty of review.

Good question ... I'm thinking he's (hopefully) outgrown that need a little bit ... but maybe not. I'll look at Horizons ... my problem is I really need something that tells me what I need to be teaching and how to teach it. I'm not sure I feel totally good about how I teach math. I don't feel that this is my stronger area of instruction and feel unsure if he is learning well with what I'm doing.

Why not get the Singapore HIGs? They will tell you to do just the sort of things you mention not doing on your own. The Standards Edition is the way to go.

Bill

:iagree: Also, maybe consider picking up Miquon. You can buy the lab sheets in PDF and let both kids work through it where appropriate.

In a few months we'll be starting our 3rd year homeschooling ... my oldest will be in 2nd grade.

I'm looking into switching curriculum or at least switching for several months to catch him up on more math basics and memorization. I'm really trying to decide between Saxon and R&S.

My DD is starting Kindergarten this year as well and I'm wondering if there is a curriculum I can use for both of them or if I should stick with 2 different programs? If I got Saxon 1 could I use it for both DD in Kindergarten and DS in 2nd grade and supplement with SM for DS? Thoughts?

I use R&S for 1-3 grades, then we are planning to switch to Saxon for 4th grade and up. My ds just did not do well with Saxon's early grades. If you are looking for a program that really focuses on the basics and getting the facts memorized, then I fully recommend R&S to you. The teacher's manual lays everything out for you to teach, too.

Also, I think you would be doing your dc a disservice if you had them working from the same book (unless your older really is behind and your younger really is ahead and even then it might cause some resentment).

So, we switched to Singapore. Book 1A he did pretty well with ... we are now in 1B and a lot of it has been a struggle. I think we haven't done enough drill work ... I'm not completely pleased with myself and my teaching of this because I don't find the way they are presenting it to be as to the point as I'd like.

Are you using the HIG? If not, I'd start there, and also start adding some fact practice 2-3 days a week. I really like the 5 minute drill sheets at http://math-drills.com. Note that if your child doesn't like timed drills, DO NOT TIME HIM. My son likes being timed, so I did the multiplication sheets in 5 minutes. He couldn't finish the sheet, but I told him ahead of time that he wasn't expected to. He was to do as many as he could, and I suggested skipping problems that he didn't know so he could keep going. Then I'd correct the sheet with him right there, putting a check mark on each correct answer (he liked that ;) ), then if there was no answer or an incorrect answer, I'd ask him that problem. He'd come up with a correct answer (given enough time), and then the next time we hit that problem on the sheet, he'd give it again. There were 2 facts on the first sheet we did that he didn't know, and by the end, he knew them perfectly.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater! Facts are easy to add. And if you're not using the HIG already, that will probably give you the teaching help you need. I'm using the Standards Edition HIG, and it's been excellent at giving me exactly what I need to explain a topic. Sometimes topics are explained in the HIG but not in the textbook (or not thoroughly in the textbook).

Are you using either EP or IP? CWP? Those add in more practice. EP would be at the same level as the workbook, and IP would be a step up in challenge from the workbook. I haven't used the EP, but the IP has more problems than the workbook does, so it gives plenty of practice, and one of the best ways to learn math facts is to practice them. Obviously, some kids need drill in addition to that, but again, that's easy to add.

Alternately, if you want to supplement, why not Math Mammoth? It's inexpensive, thorough, and teaches similar methods to Singapore, but it's more incremental. It might help you get through those touchy areas. There are tons of practice problems, especially with facts!

Another thought... Are you letting your son use manipulatives? That might help. Give him plenty of time to do a problem that he's having trouble with. The adding across 10's can be tricky, but with manipulatives, he might be able to do them. Some base 10 blocks or C-rods (my favorite) or an abacus would be helpful.

If I got Saxon 1 could I use it for both DD in Kindergarten and DS in 2nd grade and supplement with SM for DS? Thoughts?

Saxon 1 would be very boring for a child in Singapore 1B. I wouldn't recommend that at all. Seriously, almost halfway through the year, they still had one problem on the page that was "Color 5 (of the 8) squares red. How many are left?" The timed drills in Saxon (which it sounds like you're wanting it for) are easily done for free. The Saxon worksheets themselves have very little on them - usually about 5-6 problems, and then the back side (meant to be homework in school) is the same problems with different numbers. The worksheets are also very plain - black and white, not flashy. They will have apples with apple seeds for several weeks (I was so sick of apple seeds halfway through the year :tongue_smilie:), but they're not as inviting as Singapore.

If you do decide to do Saxon with him, do a placement test. I'll bet he would place into Saxon 2.

We didn't do well with Singapore either, don't feel bad. And we had the Higs. I was practically allergic to it personally, even the tint of the colors in the books grated on me.

We also loathed the Saxon for K-3. I haven't tried 5/4, I can't bring myself to look at it.

R&S isn't colorful or fun, that's for sure. But it has a lot of drill, it is thorough, and it is really inexpensive especially used. I'm not saying I recommend it, although I have it, but it sure does fill a particular need and it has worked here. The teacher's guide has a reproduction of the student page with teaching tips listed around it. It is pretty easy to use this set to teach.

In fact, right now dd is finishing MM 2B and I am torn betwen MEP and R&S and continuing MM.

If he is bored with MUS, he is going to HATE R&S (BTDT).

I'm agreeing with the others. I'd get the HIG and stick it out with Singapore.

You absolutely do not want to start the switching math programs thing. Ask me how I know.

I've finally found what works for my son, but part of me really wishes we had stuck with Singapore when he did it for K/1.

I'm now using MUS and Abeka. We use MUS to teach the concept and the colorful spiral Abeka for his written work.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I did some "tests" with my son this morning and found that he knew more than I gave him credit for. There are gaps in his math knowledge. He knows doubles addition (2+2, 3+3) he knows all +1 addition ... he knows most +2 and +3 ... those he doesn't have memorized but figures out rather quickly. However, I did the Saxon test on him which is supposed to tell what level he would be and because of some other gaps (counting money and some skip counting he couldn't remember that we did last year...) he would be right on the border of math 1 and math 2 for Saxon (technically math 1 because he was off by 1 question).

I guess my next question is ... what would you use for DD who is going to be in Kindergarten? I would prefer to do a curriculum that teaches clocks/calendar/coins/counting for kindergarten because she never did those things this year (we skipped preschool) and she is 4.5 right now. Is there a more traditional curriculum for this?

I'm a bit nervous because this is the first real year of having 2 school aged kids (plus other toddler and expecting a baby soon) ... I want to learn the concepts without me spending an hour per student just on math...

Pick up some School Zone math or kindergarten workbook at Walmart or Target. They have lots of clocks and money work pages. They also do basic math facts. I had one called Math 1-2 that we used for kindergarten. I taught him number bonds after we did that book and he tested into SM 2a. It comes with a fun cd of games. It is manipulative math on the computer. He moved beans around as he added large number of beans. It was great drill, without being math drill. Both of your kids could play and have fun.

You.could get a full curriculum to go with it and use the workbook to fill in, but I felt like we got so much put of that one $10 book that we needed nothing else. It is bright and colorful, lots of pictures and lays put the concepts of time, money, geometry, and fractions very clearly.

If I got Saxon 1 could I use it for both DD in Kindergarten and DS in 2nd grade and supplement with SM for DS? Thoughts?

I think you could if your dd in K has a fairly good grasp on the very basics covered in Saxon K. We found Saxon K to be a very gentle introduction, not terribly challenging; however, there was a noticable jump from K to Saxon 1. Saxon K is very hands-on, no worksheets, fun and easy. Saxon 1, while still very hands-on, includes more repetition, drill and review/practice worksheets (which I believe are very necesssary and lacking in both Singapore and RightStart). Saxon 2 and 3 also rely on a good amount of manipulative use, combined with daily written and oral practice. It's a very good series that we left twice - once for RightStart and once for Singapore - but returned to fairly quickly.

So, I'd say yes, if your dd has a fairly good grasp and your ds needs a little review.

I think you could if your dd in K has a fairly good grasp on the very basics covered in Saxon K. We found Saxon K to be a very gentle introduction, not terribly challenging; however, there was a noticable jump from K to Saxon 1. Saxon K is very hands-on, no worksheets, fun and easy. Saxon 1, while still very hands-on, includes more repetition, drill and review/practice worksheets (which I believe are very necesssary and lacking in both Singapore and RightStart). Saxon 2 and 3 also rely on a good amount of manipulative use, combined with daily written and oral practice. It's a very good series that we left twice - once for RightStart and once for Singapore - but returned to fairly quickly.

So, I'd say yes, if your dd has a fairly good grasp and your ds needs a little review.

Thanks for this... DD took placement test she scored just barely in the math 1 ... and DS scored barely (at the end of) math 1. I'm thinking this could be good review for him?