Menu

Denisemomof4: I have a question for you...............

:seeya:

Hey, there! How do you like your Bluestar range? DH and I have to do final changes lext week, and I think I am going to take the standard grade appliances from the builder and then give those to ReStore-Habitat for Humanity, and have what I really want ready to pop in.

I am thinking not an AGA this time (and it doesn't really make me happy) but I don't want to be taking out brand new cabinets and chopping up granite to get the needed 36". So I am looking at Bluestar b/c they make a 30" freestanding range. While it doesn't have all the ovens that my AGA has, it is powerful as is the AGA.

Do you like yours?

Do you like the Bosch Dishwasher? I love mine and will probably get another unless we go with Miele?

What kind of fridge did you get? I am still in love with my sub-zero (this is the 2nd one we have had - 2 different houses) and I am thinking of getting another in the new house.

Let me know about the Bluestar. :grouphug:

btw, did you look at Viking or Wolf? Do they make 30" free standing ranges?

Hi, Mariann!

We went with the Bluestar because we didn't plan on a larger sized range when we chose the cabinet layout. I was disappointed initially, but now that it is installed, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it, as does dh and dd12. I don't have an AGA to compare to so you may feel differently, IDK. I know some showrooms allow you to test drive the appliance right on the floor. Maybe you can try that? Also, we got the less powerful one, the one with 18000 btu because we HAD to due to the fact that we have cabinets above the stove. This also was a disappointment but now that it is in, I'm thankful we don't have the more powerful one. This one is plenty powerful for us! The Woman we spoke to at the showroom said that many people regret getting the more powerful one and call their gas company out to modify the gas flow or turn it down so it is not as powerful. If you're used to the more powerful AGA, you may want a more powerful Bluestar. I think I'd ruin a lot of food with anything more powerful than what I already have. If you are going to be putting in a hood, you have to get the right kind which is much more powerful than most. We got a Broan hood. Make sure you look at the online specs for the Bluestar so you know which model to get depending on your cabinet layout, as well as which hood. I think this WILL be out last stove because there's just nothing to break on it. I truly LOVE it. Also, did you know you there are a million of different colors you can choose from? Lime green to bright orange? Every color under the sun.

I absolutely LOVE my Bosch! I'm so glad I ran my questions by you. Before I did I was about to turn away because the inside appeared smaller and the dishes are placed together. I have had many dishwashers in my life. Bosch is by far the best. It is a true workhorse!!!

We chose the Samsung French door refrigerator and again, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. I'm not a fan of most refrigerators. This is the first one I love. I also LOVE the freezer on the bottom. Again, I can't compare to a Subzero, but I didn't like what I read online about Subs. For one, they can be a pain to clean, from what I read, and lack of cleaning can cause break downs. Because we have animals, I couldn't take that chance. I wanted something I could easily clean to keep it running efficiently. Since animals aren't an issue for you, and because of your experience with Subs, you may decide differently. We got the largest Samsung model, and it slides out so easily for cleaning. I've never had this with a refrigerator before. This feature was important for me.

I think that about covers it all.

Now I'm still on my quest to find a washing machine I love. I've never had that before. I never knew I was such an appliance critic!

FWIW

When we bought our first house, we asked the builder if we could upgrade the appliances. He just applied the amount that he would have spent toward our purchase at the appliance store he used. It wasn't much but it took a couple hundred off of the oven we did want. We also got the contractors discount doing it this was which saved us a bit more.

We did the same with the sink a while later. I was defective, so when they replaced it, the store let us upgrade.

Now I'm still on my quest to find a washing machine I love. I've never had that before. I never knew I was such an appliance critic!

Thank you so much! I am printing out your answer so that dh can have it in front of him when we go next week.

The 'power' comments are excellent and helpful -- yes, we too had to purchase an expensive and powerful hood for the AGA and I would be inclined to go with less powerful stove this time around -- I'm not cooking 45 dinners a night for paying guests after all. AND, yes, I have ruined a couple of things -- dh has ruined even more b/c of the power.

I will miss my AGA, but unless they start making a 30" (which I doubt), I will always think back fondly when I remember the one we have now.

I am glad you love the dishwasher -- It's good to hear that it isn't just me who loves it. And it is a workhorse -- I run it two and sometimes three times a day.

Fridge -- if we get the bluestar, I will probably let dh get a sub-zero again. Funny you mention the cleaning -- I just cleaned it friday night and thought to myself while doing it: 'I LOVE cleaning this fridge -- it is so easy.' Isn't that funny?

Washer? Hmmmmm -- I have loved LG and then moved into this house and there was an LG and it was a lemon -- I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I am going to look at the top loader LG as I think we have a 2nd floor laundry room in the new house and I may go with a top loader.

We have a bosch now -- (this is our second one - had one in another house) and we love it. I know that folks have issues with the gasket on the door, but I think maybe they have addressed that.

We will also look at a Miele w/d -- just because I know they carry it where we will go for the range.

Thanks for your info -- and, yes, I was blown away at the color selection at the Bluesstar website! My nail salon doesn't have THAT many colors.

(((hugs)))

FWIW

When we bought our first house, we asked the builder if we could upgrade the appliances. He just applied the amount that he would have spent toward our purchase at the appliance store he used. It wasn't much but it took a couple hundred off of the oven we did want. We also got the contractors discount doing it this was which saved us a bit more.

We did the same with the sink a while later. I was defective, so when they replaced it, the store let us upgrade.

Yup, that has been my experience as well. The builder we are using this time (this is our second time in 12 yrs using this builder) though is a huge nationwide homebuilder and we have to select something at their design center. We will probably select a fridge or take the standard and put it in the garage as a second fridge. The d/w and range we will probably take the standard and donate it to Habitat or to a family at our Church.

Oh, gosh - a sink --- I hadn't even thought about sinks -- the old single or double basin dilemma. :confused:

I would be so unhappy with a single sink. When we remodeled the kitchen, I absolutely made sure we got the largest double sink that wasn't a 50/50 split. I wash items daily and let them drip in the smaller side, which has a grate on the bottom. I also love the smaller side for holding a large colander, and it really helps when washing a ton of produce. The smaller side is always cleaner and more sterile. While I clean the sink regularly, the large side is where all dirty liquids are emptied, meats washed, etc. The smaller side is never exposed to those. Our larger side holds a broiler pan and a roasting pan, so I'm happy with it.

Hang on.

Hold the phone.

I thought you were taking the AGA.

You're LEAVING THE AGA?!

:svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo:

Good grief: I though you would be busy with Boo and not see this. :svengo:

You and I are going to AGA-therapy together. :cheers2:

We will somehow get through this. I think that DH will have to join us.

Good grief: I though you would be busy with Boo and not see this. :svengo:

You and I are going to AGA-therapy together. :cheers2:

We will somehow get through this. I think that DH will have to join us.

Boo slept from 12-9am, so Wolf fed him two bottles while I got to play on the puter.

Teach you not to be sneaky :tongue_smilie:

An AGA. A RED AGA. A CANADIAN RED AGA.

And you're leaving it behind.

Some things just should never be done, let alone admitted to in public.

What if the new ppl don't understand the AGA? What if they're mean to it, let it get all crusty and icky? What if they don't cook at all, and let it just gather dust and pile stuff on it? What if they think it's too 'old fashioned' and stick it out in the garage and replace it w/a stainless steel convection oven?

:svengo:

What if the new ppl don't understand the AGA? What if they're mean to it, let it get all crusty and icky? What if they don't cook at all, and let it just gather dust and pile stuff on it? What if they think it's too 'old fashioned' and stick it out in the garage and replace it w/a stainless steel convection oven?

LA-LA-LA-LA- images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkaAobu9NkK8SD_fg934vWnPo60gTfOpLdkbUA9_ASzby4DFV7tg LA-LA-LA-LA

We will get through this, Imp. The problem is that AGA does not yet make a 30" freestanding range. I'm okay with this -- you and my dh, however, seem to be having huge issues with it -- well, issues with leaving the AGA behind. It has to stay. I am okay with that. We need to move on.

Oh, and we don't have a garage.:glare: That's one of the reasons why we are moving.

Boo slept from 12-9am, so Wolf fed him two bottles while I got to play on the puter.

Teach you not to be sneaky :tongue_smilie:

An AGA. A RED AGA. A CANADIAN RED AGA.

And you're leaving it behind.

Some things just should never be done, let alone admitted to in public.

Ack! :svengo:

Ack! :svengo:

:toetap05: I see where this is going.

I will have to look into the group rate at the therapist's office.

I don't think she has enough room for everyone to sit in her office.:glare: We will probably need to rent out a hall.:glare:

I am going to workout now, and then finish staging the house (the kitchen re-do yesterday took 12 hours - let's hope that was the worst of it). You'all need to get a grip.

LA-LA-LA-LA- images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkaAobu9NkK8SD_fg934vWnPo60gTfOpLdkbUA9_ASzby4DFV7tg LA-LA-LA-LA

We will get through this, Imp. The problem is that AGA does not yet make a 30" freestanding range. I'm okay with this -- you and my dh, however, seem to be having huge issues with it -- well, issues with leaving the AGA behind. It has to stay. I am okay with that. We need to move on.

Oh, and we don't have a garage.:glare: That's one of the reasons why we are moving.

That's even worse! At least in a garage, it would be protected from the elements...they could put it out in the YARD!

:toetap05: I see where this is going.

I will have to look into the group rate at the therapist's office.

I don't think she has enough room for everyone to sit in her office.:glare: We will probably need to rent out a hall.:glare:

I am going to workout now, and then finish staging the house (the kitchen re-do yesterday took 12 hours - let's hope that was the worst of it). You'all need to get a grip.

I have a grip...on priorities. I'd remodel a dang kitchen to accomodate the AGA, not look for a winchy stove that would fit in what a builder thinks is a reasonable space.

*runs off sobbing*

That's even worse! At least in a garage, it would be protected from the elements...they could put it out in the YARD!

Ignoring Mrs. Scissorhands for a moment, it's not THAT kind of neighborhood.:D

I have a grip...on priorities. I'd remodel a dang kitchen to accomodate the AGA, not look for a winchy stove that would fit in what a builder thinks is a reasonable space.

*runs off sobbing*

I have one workout shoe on and the other is sitting on the floor and I have just googled the AGA website.

DRAT THEM! Now they have a 36" pro self-cleaning addition to the line. I HATE them...they've perfected perfection.

I don't want to chop up granite and rip out cabinets.

I will have to see the specs for the kitchen cabinets next saturday and THEN I will decide. The answer is in the specs.

Next.Saturday.:glare: I can wait till then -- look at colors, select a color.

I guess it's true:

Once you go AGA, you never go back.:D

I have one workout shoe on and the other is sitting on the floor and I have just googled the AGA website.

DRAT THEM! Now they have a 36" pro self-cleaning addition to the line. I HATE them...they've perfected perfection.

I don't want to chop up granite and rip out cabinets.

I will have to see the specs for the kitchen cabinets next saturday and THEN I will decide. The answer is in the specs.

Next.Saturday.:glare: I can wait till then -- look at colors, select a color.

I guess it's true:

Once you go AGA, you never go back.:D

Oh thank Heavens! She sees the light!

I was starting to wonder about interventions...

Hey Denise, is your Samsung stainless? If so, what's the best cleaner/method you've found for cleaning the outside? Still experimenting here.

BTW, thanks for recommending the Samsung. Would love a subzero but had neither the space nor budget.

Actually, we bought the sub zero b/c we were crunched for space -- go figure. They do get exponentially more expensive as they get larger - so we probably paid as much for a Subzero as we would have paid for a kitchen aid or electrolux or samsung.

I use some sort of stainless steel spray cleaner - I think it is called zep. I use immaculately clean microfiber cloths and it looks gorgeous. Zep is the only thing I have used that gets me the look I want.

Oh thank Heavens! She sees the light!

I was starting to wonder about interventions...

Good Lord, woman! You could achieve world peace if they put you in charge. :001_smile:

I finished working out -- have to get cleaned up, and go with dh to the model home to look at the blueprints for the kitchen in the floorplan we are building and see where to fit the aga without chopping up granite, etc.

Later -- crunched for time --I will let you know so you can get the therapist off of speed dial.:glare:

I have a friend who remodels houses. He has been dying to get his hands on my kitchen. Our house used to be own by an original Home Depot VP. I don't think his family used the kitchen.

THAT is so funny - in red.

I have huge brown eyes -- the cosmetics people in department stores were ALWAYS wanting to get their hands on me and 'do' my eyes.:lol:

As for the VP, I'm positive they didn't use the kitchen to open more than a pizza box.;)

Good Lord, woman! You could achieve world peace if they put you in charge. :001_smile:

I finished working out -- have to get cleaned up, and go with dh to the model home to look at the blueprints for the kitchen in the floorplan we are building and see where to fit the aga without chopping up granite, etc.

Later -- crunched for time --I will let you know so you can get the therapist off of speed dial.:glare:

I've always said that the world would be much better if I ran it. :D

Let your dh know who to thank for your seeing the light, would you? :D

I've always said that the world would be much better if I ran it. :D

Let your dh know who to thank for your seeing the light, would you? :D

Yes - I will tell him who is campaigning for the range that costs $1000. more than the bluestar :glare:, Ms. Ambassador for World Peace and Economic Growth. :D

Yes - I will tell him who is campaigning for the range that costs $1000. more than the bluestar :glare:, Ms. Ambassador for World Peace and Economic Growth. :D

Yup! :D

Frankly, I think this completely disproves the adage, "Money cannot buy happiness." :tongue_smilie:

Shows The Beatles were wrong too...Can't Buy Me Love...*snort*