Menu

Self-taught guitar programs?

We bought my daughter a guitar yesterday. The plan was to get her into guitar lessons a.s.a.p. However, the guitar center gave us a beginner lesson DVD. She and I watched the first lesson last night, and today she is strumming away C, G, G7 chords.

Has anyone had a child learn guitar through a DVD program? This seemed so simple to do, but I know it was just the beginning. Would it be feasible to learn at home? Share your experiences and/or recommendations for programs, please. Thanks!:001_smile:

My son has Learn & Master Guitar (the homeschool edition). He hasn't used it much yet, but I think it's pretty nice.

My ds has been teaching youngest dd a little bit. In fact, they are in his room right now practicing. She has a small size electric guitar. She can play some of Walk the Line, The Joker, and Smoke on the Water (not from Learn & Master). It's so cute when she plays.

This is a subscription service. My ds got 3 months for Christmas and raves about it. Definitely worth the cost.

We bought my daughter a guitar yesterday. The plan was to get her into guitar lessons a.s.a.p. However, the guitar center gave us a beginner lesson DVD. She and I watched the first lesson last night, and today she is strumming away C, G, G7 chords.

Has anyone had a child learn guitar through a DVD program? This seemed so simple to do, but I know it was just the beginning. Would it be feasible to learn at home? Share your experiences and/or recommendations for programs, please. Thanks!:001_smile:

Ds has been learning classical guitar using the Hal Leonard book/cd and dvd. He actually has stopped using the DVD since he no longer needs the visual but it is available if he needs it. We have found it helpful to have access to someone who knows guitar for an occasional glitch where he just couldn't figure something out. In our case, dh is that person.

I am so encouraged to hear these ideas! I think the biggest problem we might face is consistency. I'll have to set a lesson time with her each week and make it a priority.

I will check out the suggestions tonight. Anyone else? Thank you!

Guitar is a subject like any other in our house. Monday's are our lesson time. Tuesday - Fridays are practice times but scheduled just like Monday is.

I am so encouraged to hear these ideas! I think the biggest problem we might face is consistency. I'll have to set a lesson time with her each week and make it a priority.

I will check out the suggestions tonight. Anyone else? Thank you!

Guitar is a subject like any other in our house. Monday's are our lesson time. Tuesday - Fridays are practice times but scheduled just like Monday is.

This is what I was going to say, and then Jean said it. :001_smile: Even if you set aside time for a lesson a week....she needs to practice every day....even if it's just 15 minutes. The Learn & Master set encourages daily practice (of course, I'm sure the other programs recommend that too).

My son is using rocksmith on his XBox..but he is 15. It is like guitar hero for his regular guitar. Pretty cool. He is going to start lessons...but that is a fun way to make sure he practices.

My husband bought it for my 10 yo. but she didnt want it because she didnt like the music selections.

We know a few talented guitar players who are self-teaching. :)

Go for it!

ETA: Ds8 has been playing for about three months (he is enrolled in a group lesson) and practices 20-30 minutes each day, and he doesn't much complain about his fingers hurting any more. My father's fingers are very calloused because he has been playing for so many years.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch