Menu

Please share everything you know about painting furniture with me...............

my mom's dining room set is at dd32's house. There is one piece that I could use here in my dining room, but it would have to be painted so it would have a totally different look.

I have painted one or two pieces of furniture in the past. I ruined them. :ohmy:

Please tell me step by step or provide a link with explicit instructions.

I will leave the surface of the piece (the top) the way it is.

The wood is in fabulous condition -- no chips or anything. It just isn't what anyone would use today -- well, it isn't what I would use today, but i found photos of a piece that is incredibly similar -- i've posted the before and after photos and while I don't think I would use creamy white for the 'after' - this IS the style of the piece.

Thanks for any help.

photo-31.JPG

post-10544-1353508605018_thumb.jpg

Remove hardware. Sand it down to get the finish off (in direction of wood grain). Then I would Kilz it (paint in direction of wood grain as much as possible). There is also Kilz paint that you can tint. Wait for it to dry. Sand down lightly to get out paint streaks (sand with the grain of the wood). Apply a second coat as needed in color of your choice (paint with grain). Sand apply another coat if needed if not use a shellac (clear finish).

If you use an oil based paint used a oil based shellac, if using a water based one, used water based shellac. Lightly sand when done as needed. Put in new hardware.

Pretty piece once painted.

PS If changing the hard ware make sure you can reuse the holes, otherwise you will need to fill them with wood putty, allow dry and sand. Then when finished drill holes. And put in new hardware.

I love painting furniture!

Just lightly sand so it isn't shiny, then prime and paint. I usually thin the paint with a little water so it goes on smoother. It will require an extra coat of paint usually, but I think it's easier. I always use a matte polyurethane - at least 2 coats depending on how much abuse the furniture will get. Take the drawers out to paint them.

Thank you -- very helpful.

I am certain that the piece that I want is in Stacey's (dd) garage in NJ. DH is passing there later today as he has been in NJ staying with his dad while he had full knee replacement yesterday (doing fine, thanks).

I told dh to just go by stacey's house and take the piece --:D -- he thinks I've lost it.

I don't see what the problem is. My mom gave the set to me. I gave it to Stacey. Stacey used it and then bought a new dining room set and put this in the garage -- it is sitting there as the market for used furniture is abysmal. I figure I am freeing up space in her garage.:D

I have to re-read directions over and over again so I will spend a fair amount of time doing that. I think the issue is that I have never sanded in the past.

Remove hardware. Sand it down to get the finish off (in direction of wood grain). Then I would Kilz it (paint in direction of wood grain as much as possible). There is also Kilz paint that you can tint. Wait for it to dry. Sand down lightly to get out paint streaks (sand with the grain of the wood). Apply a second coat as needed in color of your choice (paint with grain). Sand apply another coat if needed if not use a shellac (clear finish).

If you use an oil based paint used a oil based shellac, if using a water based one, used water based shellac. Lightly sand when done as needed. Put in new hardware.

Pretty piece once painted.

PS If changing the hard ware make sure you can reuse the holes, otherwise you will need to fill them with wood putty, allow dry and sand. Then when finished drill holes. And put in new hardware.

:iagree:

I've painted lots of furniture, and this is how I do it. The only thing I'd add is that I would use latex enamel paint to finish. It dries harder than regular latex acrylic and is more durable. I've used oil enamel, but it's really messy and a PITA to clean up. I painted a table with black oil paint and it took forever to dry hard-- it was a good month before we could use it. It does leave a beautiful finish though. I've also had good results with Krylon (spray paint) but I don't think I'd use it for that large of a piece.

we found an old dresser on the side of the road in a neighborhood that was awful but dh sanded it down, filled the hardware holes, primed and painted and put new hardware on.....we get lots of compliments on it! It's painted white and has silver hardware. We wanted it for our son but it was too girly when white, lol, so our daughter got it.

But all the advice above is great. Like I said, you can change hardware but might need to fill in holes and cut new ones if you can't find something to fit the holes you have.

Are you doing this while trying to sell your house???

Hope you are doing well,