Menu

HELP! What Do I Do With My Daughter!!?? (Long)

I thought I saw something on this on another thread but have not been able to find it. Here's my question. DD is 18 and should be a senior. We are behind as far as credits go due to illnesses, my mom passing away, and so on. We are not making much headway now either as my dad is not is good health so we are going through some remodeling in order for him to move in with us. IOW, things are in chaos!:banghead: Anyway, she is an excellent student. She is very shy and insists she doesn't want to go to college, says there is no career she is interested in, and so on. I almost literally forced her to take the ACT last June and she scored a 28 with little to no preparation, then refused to take it again. She does an excellent job at whatever assignments I give her (when I get around to it) but does take much responsibility for planning or moving ahead. She loves to write and is very good at it but does not like for people to read what she has written. She loves animals but rejected my suggestion of looking into a veterinary-related career field because she "hates science." Well, I feel that taking another year to finish her high school credits would enable us to not feel pressured into cramming things in, would give her more time to mature and explore her interests. She sort of likes the idea but also thinks that people would think that we are doing this because she's "too dumb to finish in 4 years." I don't know what to do - also, if we decide to take another year, can I change her ACT record to say that she was a junior when she took it? I'd have to force her to take it again this year but maybe she'd score a little higher. Can anyone give me any opinions? I am so confused I don't know where to turn. And if anyone is still reading this by this point, thank you very much!

Can you graduate her and let her take a few classes at a community college? Or let her take the classes as a dual enrolled student while still in high school?

Every state is has different laws. Some states would allow you to have her take the four core classes at CC (math, science, history, English) and if she does well, move her on to college.

She will need a career of some sort at some point. Maybe one of the college classes would spark an interest in something?

I wouldn't do it.

I'd graduate her now and look into community college. She may have no desire at this point to get a 4-yr degree, but it couldn't hurt to get some college classes under her belt.

Does she have any job skills? Because she can't just sit around the house doing nothing, KWIM? She could either get a (low-paying) job flipping burgers or take some sort of vocational classes at the community college (if c.c. is an option where you live).

I would give her the year to finish up and would also recommend classes at the cc. Does she have any outlets for talking with other homeschoolers - ones who are serious about their studies and are looking into colleges? This may help to motivate her as far as re-taking the ACT and looking into possible majors at college. I'd also recommend taking tours at local colleges. If it's possible - not too late - for her to register for this spring semester, I'd suggest she take a class or two in something she enjoys. She needs something to ignite the spark. :)

If she knows the reasons for extending her high school years (illness, death, etc), then she should be able to explain the extension to herself and others. A delay from illness isn't all that unusual. It sounds like she really needs that extra year.

If you're tied up, can you give her an independent program or get her to an outside course in order to finish up her credits over the next year?

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Thanks for all your replies. I do want her to take CC classes, I'm just not sure about trying to cram enough in this last semester to be able to say she "graduated." I didn't pay much attention to some of my state's (Missouri's) requirements such as personal finance or health, because we discuss things like that just in the process of everyday life. I just never documented any of it. I guess I just have to keep at it and try to get her to take more responsibility for making some choices and investigating her options. I can't keep leading her by the hand forever. Thanks again.

I didn't pay much attention to some of my state's (Missouri's) requirements such as personal finance or health, because we discuss things like that just in the process of everyday life. I just never documented any of it. I guess I just have to keep at it and try to get her to take more responsibility for making some choices and investigating her options..

As far as I know, the Missouri graduation requirements are the requirements for public school students. There are no requirements for homeschooled students. You might want to double check.

Thanks for all your replies. I do want her to take CC classes, I'm just not sure about trying to cram enough in this last semester to be able to say she "graduated." I didn't pay much attention to some of my state's (Missouri's) requirements such as personal finance or health, because we discuss things like that just in the process of everyday life. I just never documented any of it. I guess I just have to keep at it and try to get her to take more responsibility for making some choices and investigating her options. I can't keep leading her by the hand forever. Thanks again.

She graduates because you say she does. There isn't a moral obligation of some kind to complete certain courses, there's nothing in the universe that expects it, you're not required by MO law to do anything to be able to do it.

The only issue might be if the c.c. requires a high school transcript with a certain number of credits. :glare:

Yes, your dd needs to take more responsibility for making choices and investigating her options, although it would be fair for you to tell her that she must either work or be attending c.c. classes (the up-side being that c.c. classes can help her get a better job, as many c.c. have vocational degrees in addition to AA/AS degrees, or AA/AS which are specific to a vocation).

The reason I'm worrying about fulfilling MO requirements is that some colleges require it even of homeschool students, for instance, Univ. of Mo.-St. Louis (not really what you would call an exclusive school :D) says on their website regarding homeschooled students: "If an applicant has not acquired all units of work required for a high school diploma in Missouri, the applicant must also provide a test score report of the General Education Development (GED) test with a minimum score of 2500 (for test taken after January 1, 2002; minimum score of 250 for tests taken prior to January 1, 2002)." So I have to document the 24 hours required by the state, or have her take the GED, which I don't want to do. Of course, not all the colleges around have requirements like UMSL, so it would make it so much easier if she had decided if/where to she wants to go :ack2:

You've said that you've been teaching her personal finance and health all along, so I'd simply give her a "final test" on each and note it on the transcript. It doesn't have to all be done within one semester or one year to count. Definitely fulfill your state requirements now rather than having her in the position of needing to take the GED. Her ACT score is already a very good one and will probably even qualify her for the honors program at your cc. :)

OK, I understand your concern about UMSL.

If you feel you have everything covered that she needs to know for health and finance, in whatever manner, I would assign a grade of P for participation and give her the credit - without bothering with an exam at all.

I do not give letter grades for stuff like this, only for core subjects.

I find the requirement to have classes for life skills like this quite ridiculous - it's stuff we cover as applied to situations on an ongoing basis over the high school years. I am sure you must have spent the required number of hours instructing your DD.

The reason I'm worrying about fulfilling MO requirements is that some colleges require it even of homeschool students, for instance, Univ. of Mo.-St. Louis (not really what you would call an exclusive school :D) says on their website regarding homeschooled students: "If an applicant has not acquired all units of work required for a high school diploma in Missouri, the applicant must also provide a test score report of the General Education Development (GED) test with a minimum score of 2500 (for test taken after January 1, 2002; minimum score of 250 for tests taken prior to January 1, 2002)." So I have to document the 24 hours required by the state, or have her take the GED, which I don't want to do. Of course, not all the colleges around have requirements like UMSL, so it would make it so much easier if she had decided if/where to she wants to go :ack2:

Do you feel your dd is ready for college? An ACT score of 28 suggests that she is. If you are ready to graduate her, you need to stop thinking in the box and get creative. YOU are the one assigning credits. Credits do not have to mean that a textbook has been completed. What classes does she have to complete according to the state to receive a high school diploma? Come up with some unschooling type of thinking that can have her receive credit for them.

Oh, I love all these suggestions! A little OT, but I heard on the radio today that approximately 50% of all American ADULTS cannot even name one of the candidates running for the Republican nomination for President. My dd can name them all, and has opinions about them all, too (oh, but she's not into politics :D)

I will really try to get creative. But I am really an in-the-box type of person:tongue_smilie:

Oh, I love all these suggestions! A little OT, but I heard on the radio today that approximately 50% of all American ADULTS cannot even name one of the candidates running for the Republican nomination for President. My dd can name them all, and has opinions about them all, too (oh, but she's not into politics :D)

I will really try to get creative. But I am really an in-the-box type of person:tongue_smilie:

She sounds very bright and most likely why she earned the ACT 28 score. Congrats! Now she has to take a "gap" year if she is not interested in college -- have her volunteer locally, get a job, go overseas on a mission, etc. Expand her worldview. Let her shadow a possible job she may be interested in and have her take a career test like in What Color is Your Parachute?

I personally would have her go onto college -- she can simply begin by taking 1-2 classes at the local Junior College for starters. The JC will accept her ACT score and your transcript for enrolling her. Have her either volunteer or work part-time as she is doing this.

Edited by tex-mex

I have heard of it being done, but check with your state.

I have always encouraged my dc to go straight to college. You can get general education classes out of the way without knowing your major. Unless there are particular plans for that gap year (those I know who did a gap year had a reason other than the dc didn't know what they were going to do).