Menu

Diabetics, please help ASAP!

Arg! My dd12 has a new friend over for a play date and dinner. I did not know she was diabetic. When they were hunting for a snack, my suggestions of fruit or cheese bombed. She measured out exactly one cup of OJ (not from concentrate) and asked for celery and peanut butter. I don't know much about diabetics and their needs, but a quick google just confused me even more!

My original dinner idea was Olivieri Rainbow Tortellini (the tri-packs from Costco) with a blush sauce, garlic bread, and steamed veggies. Now I'm wondering about the carb issue? Would you serve that to a diabetic? :confused: Haaaalp!

P.S.: I know she eats pizza, should I just order in and call it good?

My husbands eats that...but I would imagine at 12 she should know what she can eat? Especially since she is careful with oj. but why not just call her family? :D

I guess if she doesn't eat fruit, though, she won't do pasta. I imagine a veggie and a meat? Or salad? Or boiled eggs?

Edited by mchel210

Type 1 diabetics are taught that they can eat whatever they want─ they must count the carbs and give the appropriate amount of insulin. Really, the only thing you need to do is ask her or her family directly if she has any food restrictions. Lots of Type 1's eat just the same as everyone else─the dreaded Standard American Diet. What you see when you google diabetic diets are really intended for Type 2's.

It's very nice of you to think of ways to accommodate her, but you might be surprised that she needs no acc.'s at all.

Type 1 diabetics are taught that they can eat whatever they want─ they must count the carbs and give the appropriate amount of insulin. Really, the only thing you need to do is ask her or her family directly if she has any food restrictions. Lots of Type 1's eat just the same as everyone else─the dreaded Standard American Diet. What you see when you google diabetic diets are really intended for Type 2's.

It's very nice of you to think of ways to accommodate her, but you might be surprised that she needs no acc.'s at all.

:iagree:

My daughter is type 1 and can eat whatever really. The important thing is to have some information on how many grams of carb are in the meal. Save the packages. She is probably good at estimating if you just can't be sure.
DH is a type 2 who is now on insulin, so I'll make a guess based on his experience. She may have been looking for a snack she didn't have to inject for. (DH does this, to minimize how many times he has to poke himself.) She may be fine with injecting for dinner, but she will need to know the number of carbs to calculate her insulin amount. You can ask her, and if her answer seems fishy, call her mom.

(Because, on the other hand, she may use it as an excuse to avoid food she doesn't like. If she's on insulin and hasn't forgotten to bring it, she should be able to eat just about anything as long as she accounts for the carbs.)

:iagree: