Menu

A question for you video-type people who know about streaming/tv/etc. . . .

from me, who doesn't even know how to turn on our dvd player. (However, I really dislike tv but that's a whole 'nother story.)

Where can I get videos of shows that are really creative and show past episodes involving history, science, etc. I don't want to turn on the tv and just see whatever is on the history channel--I want to get that particular show that is about the the battle of Fort Sumter. When we were in a hotel recently, there was some show about how materials deal with movement and heat (i.e. ceramic brakes in a Porsche) and how to keep a ginormous skyscraper in the air during a monsoon. But I don't know what it;s called or how to get that type of show.

Second question, if we have Verizon FiOs, can we stream in computer onto the tv?

Are my questions even making sense? Thanks for your patience with me!

jeri

Ok, I went to the site but I don't get it! Do I just *look* for the videos here and then schedule our cable viewing time (yes, we have cable) around it? Or is there some way to link up to the site to get immediate viewing? Sorry, but like I said, I'm really slow!

jeri

If you have cable and want to work with what's offered there in the more educational/documentary areas, use this site to pre-plan with. It's really good.

http://www.ciconline.org/

Jeri, CIC Online is a *huge* site- it takes a bit of pure adventure-clicking to get a surface introduction to what it has available.

I don't know if you are a twitter person, but if you are, they have a link and a stream that can be really helpful. They also have a facebook page which is good.

If I were brand new to CIC as a resource, the first thing I'd do is look at my actual plans/topics/subjects as they sit this very moment, then just enter those subject words in the search engine on the page to see where they take you.

The programming & resources tab is in particular pretty good. There is a calendar there you can view for advance planning, there are attached lesson plans/links and suggested resources. It is here: http://www.ciconline.org/ProgrammingAndResources

The FAQ is here: http://www.ciconline.org/AboutUs/FAQ

Here http://www.eschoolnews.com/ is a related resource if you are a heavy user of internet learning tools, it's sort of the Washington Post for distance/internet learning stories. Good stuff.

It's a bit overwhelming as to the size at first, but you can customize your findings within CIC to very narrow perimeters. You can choose grade level, subject, lesson plan, and resources types if you are after something very particular.

Years ago, CIC used to print a literal calendar/catalog, but I think now that so many of the shows (Discovery, Biography, History) channels all have their own independent sites now they've done away with it.

It's a deeply hyper-linked site with very well done collections of resources both printable, view-able media, and shows.

You can hook up your computer to your TV if you have the right outputs and inputs. If you're not sure whether you do, check out this site:

http://hookpctotv.com/

We don't have cable; we have FiOS and stream most things. We do have a tuner card in our PC and an antenna, so our computer acts as a DVR through Windows Media Center and we record network shows and watch when we want. I use my iPad or my Android phone as a remote over wifi 'cause I think that's fun. ;)

I mean the info is really helpful (yes, I will go back into ciconline and do some diggin), but I don't twitter and I don't even have a smartphone! I must be a dinosaur! Just so you all don't think I'm a complete idiot, we just moved back to the States after being in Germany for three years so a lot has changed anyway. Also, I haven't made any friends yet where we moved to, so it's not like I can ask my neighbor or another hs mom what they do.

Ok, back to ciconline and to try to figure out if this new tv we just bought will take some sort of connection to my computer. Thanks!

jeri

You can get some educational content from Hulu free. I haven't looked for history and I don't remember seeing much, but they do have Nova and some PBS/British content. I like how you can put things in your "favorites" and so can easily find them. They recently added a lot of Spanish language tv shows if you are doing Spanish. They add new content all the time.

thanks for the suggestion! The only bad thing was that dh wanted to watch old Star Wars or Rocky movies and Netflix doesn't let you access those. :(

Wow, I'm entering the age of technology because of you guys! Thanks.

jeri