Menu

Pencil Sharpener Preference

Pencil Sharpener  

1. 1. Pencil Sharpener

• Electric
    • Manual
    • Sharp Knife

What have you found works best for your homeschool needs? Do you have any recommendations for brands or models that last through the years?

An electric sharpener?

The manual crank ones?

or Hard core and rugged style- A sharp knife?

Where is the obligatory other? I like my electric pencil sharpener. It was my grandfather's and I still remember going into his office and sharpening all of his pencils. I have used other electric sharpeners that do not work as well as mine.

But, I also love the old fashioned manual schoolroom sharpeners which work so much better than the little handheld ones that my kids prefer.

Where is the obligatory other? I like my electric pencil sharpener. It was my grandfather's and I still remember going into his office and sharpening all of his pencils. I have used other electric sharpeners that do not work as well as mine.

But, I also love the old fashioned manual schoolroom sharpeners which work so much better than the little handheld ones that my kids prefer.

Sorry, it was my first poll and I assumed an "Other" option would automatically pop up! Oops. :D

One experience I had...

I bought a well-recommended electric sharpener. It shredded the pencils I had, or only sharpened one edge. I thought it was useless.

Then I happened to order a large quantity of Dixon Ticonderogas from Amazon. They sharpen beautifully in the same sharpener! I tested it again, and, yep, it still shredded the cheaper pencils.

Just a heads up. :)

One experience I had...

I bought a well-recommended electric sharpener. It shredded the pencils I had, or only sharpened one edge. I thought it was useless.

Then I happened to order a large quantity of Dixon Ticonderogas from Amazon. They sharpen beautifully in the same sharpener! I tested it again, and, yep, it still shredded the cheaper pencils.

Just a heads up. :)

Hmmm.. I never would have thought that it was the pencil with the problem. Thanks for the heads-up!

I prefer electric for me, but DD seems to have a high need for fiddling with her fingers, and sharpening pencils using one of those little manual ones with the plastic dome to catch the shavings really seems to help settle her. I have had to "disappear" any sharpeners that DON'T have the dome because she'll end up with drifts of shavings around her desk.

I don't let her sharpen the special prismacolor colored pencils, but her regular pencils and the crayola colored ones are fair game.