Menu

Do U Make Vanilla Extract? 20% off CODE from OliveNation in here:

NEWY20 20% off code till 1/7/2012

I prepared bottles of vanilla extract to give as gifts this year and not only was it a huge hit, I have folks who want more. If you are thinking of doing this, the 20% off code from Olive Nation works out to be an $11.00 savings on a pound of Madagascar Beans (regularly $54.99). If you select free ground shipping, that is a cool $11.00 savings which for me is excellent.

Here is the recipe I used:

How to Make Vanilla Extract

Print Options

Commercial vanilla extract usually has simple syrup (sugar water) added to the extract to give it a sweet aftertaste. You can do this if you want, but if you are using the vanilla for baking, there really is no need.

Ingredients

• 3 vanilla beans
  • 1 cup vodka
  • glass jar with tight fitting lid

Method

vanilla-extract-1.jpg

1 Use kitchen scissors or a sharp paring knife to cut lengthwise down each vanilla bean, splitting them in half, leaving an inch at the end connected.

2 Put vanilla beans in a glass jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid (mason jars work well). Cover completely with the vodka.

3 Give the bottle a good shake every once in a while. Store in a dark, cool place for 2 months or longer.

Lasts for years. You can keep topping it off with vodka once in a while as you use it, just remember to give it a good shake.

You can also make vanilla sugar by putting a split vanilla bean into a jar of white, granulated sugar. Great way to infuse the sugar with vanilla flavor for baking.

rand=129821249

empty.gif

Many people have asked about the bottle I used for making the vinegar. The bottle is from an empty bottle of Italian balsamic vinegar that I cleaned out. The brand of balsamic is Leonardi Balsamico which you can buy in Italian specialty stores or online. ~Elise

NOTE: I used four large bottles of excellent quality vodka and put the required number of beans in each bottle directly. I added fresh beans after about 4 weeks of the initial step. I faithfully shook the bottles once a week, and delighted in the change I saw.

I bottled (I had to order bottles and labels) as I gifted and put new beans in the bottles to be gifted as it had to continue to steep till 2/1/2012 (and a label informed recipient of this).

I made vanilla sugar from the beans that had been used and gifted that.

PM me with any other questions.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I believe that it is a board rule that recipes referred to in headliner posts must be provided in the body of the thread. Just sayin...

oops! see original post -- vodka, vanilla beans, expensive labels that were the MOST FUN to order!

Edited by MariannNOVA

I prepared bottles of vanilla extract to give as gifts this year and not only was it a huge hit, I have folks who want more. If you are thinking of doing this, the 20% off code from Olive Nation works out to be an $11.00 savings on a pound of Madagascar Beans (regularly $54.99). If you select free ground shipping, that is a cool $11.00 savings which for me is excellent.

Print Options

Commercial vanilla extract usually has simple syrup (sugar water) added to the extract to give it a sweet aftertaste. You can do this if you want, but if you are using the vanilla for baking, there really is no need.

Ingredients

• 3 vanilla beans
  • 1 cup vodka

Method

vanilla-extract-1.jpg

1 Use kitchen scissors or a sharp paring knife to cut lengthwise down each vanilla bean, splitting them in half, leaving an inch at the end connected.

2 Put vanilla beans in a glass jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid (mason jars work well). Cover completely with the vodka.

3 Give the bottle a good shake every once in a while. Store in a dark, cool place for 2 months or longer.

Lasts for years. You can keep topping it off with vodka once in a while as you use it, just remember to give it a good shake.

You can also make vanilla sugar by putting a split vanilla bean into a jar of white, granulated sugar. Great way to infuse the sugar with vanilla flavor for baking.

rand=129821249

empty.gif

Many people have asked about the bottle I used for making the vinegar. The bottle is from an empty bottle of Italian balsamic vinegar that I cleaned out. The brand of balsamic is Leonardi Balsamico which you can buy in Italian specialty stores or online. ~Elise

NOTE: I used four large bottles of excellent quality vodka and put the required number of beans in each bottle directly. I added fresh beans after about 4 weeks of the initial step. I faithfully shook the bottles once a week, and delighted in the change I saw.

I bottled (I had to order bottles and labels) as I gifted and put new beans in the bottles to be gifted as it had to continue to steep till 2/1/2012 (and a label informed recipient of this).

YAY! Thanks, I've been wanting to do this for a while! Now I can :)

YAY! Thanks, I've been wanting to do this for a while! Now I can :)

Awesome! I almost placed an order last night... this saved me $14 over the other place :D

I make my own extract but didn't know what to do with the used beans. Vanilla sugar! Excellent idea! Thanks!

Dh, the kids and I had a blast doing this -- so simple, SO much fun, folks who received it as their gift were thrilled (or they were very good at faking it - :lol:).

For the sugar, I purchased plastic gift bags in the Wilton aisle at Michael's (they come three to a package so they are a rather good size) - I can give you the exact size later. I put the bags into cute incredibly reduced in price tall cookie/candy cans marked down at JoAnn fabrics (90% off three days before Christmas), filled it with plain old granulated sugar and put the beans (that had been dried on cookie sheets for a few days that had been sitting in vodka for two months) in the sugar - buried the beans in the sugar.....I also cut the dried beans to fit better. I wrote something on the tag about the little specks being from the beans so no one would think the sugar had bugs or anything. Tied the bags with the ribbon and tag, trimmed the top of the bag, put the lid on, and put a 'made for you by' label on the front of the can. Folks acted like I had given them nectar from the gods........or they were very good at faking it.):lol:

I made vanilla extract last year and ordered the bottles on eBay. It was far cheaper than any other source I found. If you search eBay or Google for "4 oz boston round bottle" you'll find what you need.

I bought them from a 'bottle seller' on ebay and I have his link -- 4 oz boston rounds -- yup!

I will post everything later tonight on my blog:

www.pleasedonteatthedaisies-mariann.blogspot.com

I have to work out now.

Mariann,

Can you post more on making the vanilla sugar? Pretty please. I've made the vanilla years ago, but never the sugar; I'm thinking my mom and sister would love it.

Print Options

Ingredients

• 3 vanilla beans
  • 1 cup vodka

Method

vanilla-extract-1.jpg

rand=129821249

empty.gif

Mariann,

Can you post more on making the vanilla sugar? Pretty please. I've made the vanilla years ago, but never the sugar; I'm thinking my mom and sister would love it.

Of course --can you wait till tonight? I have to get cleaned up from working out, take the kids to the movies, go to Church, and tonight I will put it on my blog.

It was just as much fun as making the extract.

Thanks for being patient -- dh is glaring :glare: at me to get this show on the road.