Menu

Opinions on 'Precalculus: A Graphing Approach' by Larson et al? Or alternatives?

Hi everyone,

During the most recent Teaching Company sale, I purchased the course "Mathematics Describing the Real World: Precalculus and Trigonometry".

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1005

The course starter webpage lists the following textbook, which is by the author, but also states "any standard precalculus textbook can be used for reference and support throughout the course."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618854630

I couldn't find any discussion on this text on the boards, and I personally feel uncomfortable with any math text which "encourages the use of graphing technology". It's just not the way I recall being taught, but I can be convinced that they are necessary.

Looking forward to hearing feedback or suggestions!

Usually, encouraging the use of graphing technology means that they have:

a) certain problems that are marked for doing with graphing technology

b) instructions on how to use said graphing technology.

Just about any standard precalc book will be doable without the technology -- however, I would encourage you to at least familiarize your student with the technology as some universities use it rather heavily. I would not make it a primary focus of the course.

Usually, encouraging the use of graphing technology means that they have:

a) certain problems that are marked for doing with graphing technology

b) instructions on how to use said graphing technology.

Just about any standard precalc book will be doable without the technology -- however, I would encourage you to at least familiarize your student with the technology as some universities use it rather heavily. I would not make it a primary focus of the course.

Thanks Kiana! In this case, the student is me :001_smile: and my college days are long past. But I did purchase the Geometer's Sketchpad during the last HSBC group buy, so I think I can use that.

After searching for 'precalculus text' in the archives, I found discussions on Teaching Textbooks, Chalkdust, Lials, Foersters, BJU and Saxon. Off to check those out.. high school texts are a brand new world for me because 1. I did high school in a different country, and 2. It'll be a while before my dc are in high school. But the math discussions on this board are too intriguing.. :tongue_smilie:

I agree with Kiana that the time does come in high school where kids need to learn to use a graphing calculator.

And I'm :lurk5:

because I also got that TTC set during the Christmas sale. I hope someone chimes in who's used it with a math text, so we can learn from their experiences!

Julie

Chalkdust uses the Larson Text:

http://www.chalkdust.com/precalout3.html

When you get to Precalc, the calculator is used as additional way of solving the problem. It doesn't replace understanding; it is designed to enhance it.

Peace,

Janice

It looks like that's the same book the OP linked, by Larson et al, used in TTC and Chalkdust both? Wow, that's quite a recommendation, I suppose.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Not really that much of an endorsement. The fellow who teaches the TC course works with Larson. This clip is from his bio:

Professor Edwards has taught a variety of mathematics courses at the University of Florida, from first-year calculus to graduate-level classes in algebra and numerical analysis. He has been a frequent speaker at research conferences and meetings of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. He has also coauthored a wide range of mathematics textbooks with Professor Ron Larson. Their textbooks have been honored with various awards from the Text and Academic Authors Association.

So it's not so much of an endorsement as a sales pitch.:001_smile: Although I do like the book, and I am not alone. It is well-respected text.

Peace,

Janice

I used Larson's Precalculus with my oldest, but I'm using Lial's Precalculus with my middle. I think the explanations are better in Lial's.

I did have the videos for Larson's, but I bought them used and they never worked properly. Maybe 1 or 2 out of 5 would actually play all the way through. The videos were REALLY long too, often 45 minutes or more.

Hi Julie,

Not really that much of an endorsement. The fellow who teaches the TC course works with Larson. This clip is from his bio:

Professor Edwards has taught a variety of mathematics courses at the University of Florida, from first-year calculus to graduate-level classes in algebra and numerical analysis. He has been a frequent speaker at research conferences and meetings of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. He has also coauthored a wide range of mathematics textbooks with Professor Ron Larson. Their textbooks have been honored with various awards from the Text and Academic Authors Association.

So it's not so much of an endorsement as a sales pitch.:001_smile: Although I do like the book, and I am not alone. It is well-respected text.

Peace,

Janice

Too funny. I see they co-author the book he recommends :) But glad to hear it's a good book anyways.

I sure wish someone had used TTC for pre-calc. The lectures and the workbook seem like they're supposed to be a full course. However, it would only be one lecture and one workbook assignment a week, because there are only 36 lessons. And the workbook only has about 10-12 problems per lesson. I know eventually in math, the problems can take a long time, even an hour (for each problem), but not sure these are in that category?

I suppose if we needed more, we could stop and do the textbook for the rest of the week, but then why not just do the textbook and skip the lectures? I just don't know. I haven't done pre-calc at home before.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN
clarify time

Are you asking for advice? :001_smile:

If so and if you decide to use the Larson text, I would recommend Dana Mosely with the Chalk Dust lectures. Thorough and complete. Plenty of instruction.

Of course I'm in the camp that believes precalculus takes a minimum of 90 minutes a day. So forty-five minutes of class time with forty-five minutes of homework matches our experience. YMMV.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Too funny. I see they co-author the book he recommends :) But glad to hear it's a good book anyways.

I sure wish someone had used TTC for pre-calc. The lectures and the workbook seem like they're supposed to be a full course. However, it would only be one lecture and one workbook assignment a week, because there are only 36 lessons. And the workbook only has about 10-12 problems per lesson. I know eventually in math, the problems can take a long time, even an hour, but not sure these are in that category?

I suppose if we needed more, we could stop and do the textbook for the rest of the week, but then why not just do the textbook and skip the lectures? I just don't know. I haven't done pre-calc at home before.

Julie

I'm considering using it but only as a supplement. My son is doing Chalkdust and has done fine with everything but verifying identities. He tried Khan academy but it didn't help him with the Chalkdust problems. We just went on and the next chapter was fine. But I may still buy it in the hopes that it may help him get an overall understanding.. Still thinking.

Are you asking for advice? :001_smile:

If so and if you decide to use the Larson text, I would recommend Dana Mosely with the Chalk Dust lectures. Thorough and complete. Plenty of instruction.

Of course I'm in the camp that believes precalculus takes a minimum of 90 minutes a day. So forty-five minutes of class time with forty-five minutes of homework matches our experience. YMMV.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Yes, advice, if I'm not thread-stealing ?! My son needs pre-calc next year, and I'm entering new ground there (oldest son was public schooled and middle dd didn't do pre-calc).

Chalkdust is $534 for the textbook too. (TTC set was $50.) Is Chalkdust really worth all that?

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Yes, advice, if I'm not thread-stealing ?! My son needs pre-calc next year, and I'm entering new ground there (oldest son was public schooled and middle dd didn't do pre-calc).

Chalkdust is $534 for the textbook too. (TTC set was $50.) Is Chalkdust really worth all that?

Julie

Well, it is certainly more thorough. Plus you DO know that you can buy it more cheaply through Amazon. Houghton Mifflin has DVD's that identical to the Chalkdust ones with Dana Mosely. Somewhere there is a thread with ISBN numbers. You need to make sure you get a video that goes with the same edition as the textbook. Plus, look for it used. I got Algebra I set for 75 dollars and the Precalc that I am currently using for 90 dollars. Yep, you read that right: textbook, DVD's and solution book. So to me, you bet that is worth it!!!

Well, it is certainly more thorough. Plus you DO know that you can buy it more cheaply through Amazon. Houghton Mifflin has DVD's that identical to the Chalkdust ones with Dana Mosely. Somewhere there is a thread with ISBN numbers. You need to make sure you get a video that goes with the same edition as the textbook. Plus, look for it used. I got Algebra I set for 75 dollars and the Precalc that I am currently using for 90 dollars. Yep, you read that right: textbook, DVD's and solution book. So to me, you bet that is worth it!!!

1. Precalculus with Limits: A graphing Approach, Larson et al. (4th ed., Houghton Mifflin Company, 2005). ISBN 0-618-39478-8

2. Study and Solutions Guide for Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach; and Precalculus with Limits: A Graphing Approach 4th ed. , Edwards (4th ed., Houghton Mifflin Company, 2005), ISBN 0-618-39481-8

3. Two part DVD program for use with Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach; and Precalculus with Limits: A graphing Approach 4th ed. (Houghton Mifflin, 2005). This looks like it covers both texts that Chalkdust offers.

ISBN 0-618-39487-7

When first searching for these items, I ordered the DVD set (link below) at a good price. It lacks Chapter P and 3-4 lessons from the text, but for the cost I think it's great.

http://www.amazon.com/DVD-Larson-Hostetlers-Precalculus-Ron/dp/0618643532/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1283779996&sr=1-3-fkmr0

• 9 months later...

1. Precalculus with Limits: A graphing Approach, Larson et al. (4th ed., Houghton Mifflin Company, 2005). ISBN 0-618-39478-8

Found a Fifth Edition online so I thought I would just bump the thread in case anyone wants to peruse the textbook.