Menu

How can I add in geography while still learning history?

plain jane

I don't want to tie the two together because it really hasn't worked for me in the past.

We're currently studying Ancients but I also want to add in general world geography so they can learn/solidify countries/capitals/major landforms and basic cultural themes.

We study history 1 hour per day x 4 days per week. I don't really have a 5th day as that is co-op day.

I'm looking at a program like either Trail Guide or Around the World in 180 Days but I have no idea how I would fit it in without compromising our history studies.

The kids do map work appropriate for their levels (gr 5/2) but I want them doing more.

Ideas?

I think you have two options:

Lengthen your days

Take time away from another subject

Personally, I would change to do history 3 times a week and geography one time a week.

We'll never get through history in 3 days per week. :willy_nilly: :lol:

Sigh. Yes, sadly I think you're right about my options.

Maybe I can do geography over lunch and turn it into learning via trivia game or something. Or I could read a book about a country each day (sort of how Galloping the Globe does it) while the kids eat. :confused:

We are doing very surface-level world geography study right now. Basically, my kids each choose a continent to study. They do some map work, play the free geography games on Sheppard Software, do GeoPuzzles, and read about their continent with the Heinemann books. At the end of the four weeks, they take a "quiz" where they have to label the countries on their continent as well as major landforms. (It isn't really a test because they are allowed to use their resources to look up the information.) Then, they choose which continent they want to study next. It's not a terribly in-depth study but it is enough to get them familiar with the different countries and at least have heard of these places.

ETA: Geography only takes about 10 - 15 minutes three times per week.

I recommend "Trail Guide to..."

We did US last year - and it added about 10 minutes a day. A couple times a week the kids used the free Sheppard Software to play the geography games online. It was great. This year we are using the World program. We only do the daily assignment and maintain a huge world map. We will also use he Sheppard software. My kids LOVE it.

Maybe I can do geography over lunch and turn it into learning via trivia game or something. Or I could read a book about a country each day (sort of how Galloping the Globe does it) while the kids eat. :confused:

This is what I did a couple of years ago. I kept a list of books we used by country and continue to add to it when I find appropriate books. Here is a link to my list.

I'm scared to admit this lol! We are using Evan-Moor's Beginning Geography (K-2). I know my dd is older and these are worksheets, but I figure it is better than nothing. Plus, it is an e-book so I was able to start using it immediately.

Edited to add: I re-read your post and this wouldn't fit the bill. Good luck finding a solution.

Edited by PollyOR

Here are a few ideas:

• You could listen to these songs or these songs while doing other things, such as folding laundry. :D For us, they have been a painless way of introducing the countries, states, and capitals to the children.
  • But I would go further at some point, and tie the songs into map work, obviously. You could use this and this or any of these for that aspect.
  • You could do "something" -- which is better than "nothing" -- and accept that as "good enough."
  • You could try to get through your History studies in 30 weeks per year, and then do a 6-week Geography unit each year.
  • You could try to get through a History cycle in 4 years, then take the fifth year to study Geography exclusively.

HTH.

I use a workbook to do worksheets and add in extras like this game:

http://www.amazon.com/Talicor-Where-In-The-World/dp/B0006ZJPF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325386279&sr=8-1

It is fun and the kids learn:)

I didn't like Trail Guide or 180 Days because they added in so much other stuff. 180 Days is really designed to be an entire history/geography unit. It looked good to me, but I needed JUST geography. I do still have the Trail Guide books that I may use, but I just needed easy. Here is the workbook we use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0769685595/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

I'm scared to admit this lol! We are using Evan-Moor's Beginning Geography (K-2). I know my dd is older and these are worksheets, but I figure it is better than nothing. Plus, it is an e-book so I was able to start using it immediately.

Edited to add: I re-read your post and this wouldn't fit the bill. Good luck finding a solution.

We use this, too - occasionally, when we get around to it.

We also have the Troxels (Audio Memory) Geography Songs CD. It's not high art, but at least they'll know the countries, continents, planets, and which bits go (approximately) with which other bits. (they may also come away thinking there are 5 Kentuckys in the USA, because of the weird way they sing that bit of the US :lol:)

We listen to the Geography Songs in the car and it's totally painless. Then, when we have a chance, we look at maps etc.

We have also done impromptu "blob map" art lessons twice so far. Not as rigourous as Leigh Bortins suggests in the Core, but the idea appealed to me. Just fold a piece of paper lengthwise to get the great circles (Arctic, Cancer, Equator, Capricorn, Antarctic), fold widthwise to get the prime meridian, and then copy a decent map - at first with not much detail; later, you can do it more and more finely.

Here's our first lesson like this. We did one a couple of weeks ago where my dd didn't WANT to make blobs, so she copied the details beautifully - her map looked way better than mine, because I was trying to show her that it was okay to just kind of rough in the outlines. :-)

tracymirko - what a wonderfu book list! I printed it off. Thank you for posting. Our family has loved the 10 Days in... games. There is 10 Days in Asia, Europe, the Americas and Africa. We've found people of all ages like to play. Its a simple and fun way to learn world geography. They're available on Amazon for around $20.