Menu

The Bible on Kindle

I have a Kindle Keyboard with a Bible on it - and if you want to do a lot of flipping around, you'll be better off with a paper Bible. This actually goes for ebooks vs paper books in general.

Kindle Bibles would be great for reading through front to back. They are not good for navigating as one often navigates a Bible. I think you can get Kindle Bibles where they've tried to make it possible to navigate to a specific verse, but those are not the norm. So, navigating places in a Kindle Bible takes a while.

I use the LDS Scriptures app for smartphones (iPhone). I really like it. You can swipe from side to side to change chapters, it's easy to navigate, all the footnotes and cross-references are linked, and I can change it so that it's white text on a black background so it's not so hard on the eyes to read. I can make bookmarks, highlight passages, etc.

By contrast, the set I have on my Kindle is not nearly so user friendly. Mine is a second generation, so I can't comment on the Kindle Touch or the Fire :)

I have the ESV loaded, the free version from kindle. I plan to use it for cover-to-cover reading.

I find the one Becky listed tempting, but if I am really studying, I like the real paper page flipping, plus there are twenty years' worth of notes jotted in my old margins.

ETA - If I need to do a quick search for a verse or reference when I partially remember it, a few keywords in safari on my iPhone produce great results.

Edited by AuntieM

I have the LDS scriptures on my Android phone. I like it for personal or family reading, especially when we travel.

I feel at a disadvantage when I use it in classes, though. You can't really keep your finger in the main passage being studied while you turn to another relevant passage pertinent to the discussion.....

I have a Kindle Keyboard with a Bible on it - and if you want to do a lot of flipping around, you'll be better off with a paper Bible. This actually goes for ebooks vs paper books in general.

Kindle Bibles would be great for reading through front to back. They are not good for navigating as one often navigates a Bible. I think you can get Kindle Bibles where they've tried to make it possible to navigate to a specific verse, but those are not the norm. So, navigating places in a Kindle Bible takes a while.

This is exactly what I think too. I love my Kindle, but it is only good for reading straight through. It is very cumbersome to flip around. I even have a specially formatted version of my scriptures, and it is still a pain.

I have a couple Bibles on the Kindle Fire. I like it for reading. I find it easier to read and concentrate on the words than a print Bible that has hundreds of words on a page.

Here is a free app that works on the Fire. I like that you can easily access podcasts.

http://www.amazon.com/YouVersion-Bible/dp/B004MC8CA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=mobile-apps&qid=1325391773&sr=1-1

I have a couple Bibles on the Kindle Fire. I like it for reading. I find it easier to read and concentrate on the words than a print Bible that has hundreds of words on a page.

Here is a free app that works on the Fire. I like that you can easily access podcasts.

http://www.amazon.com/YouVersion-Bible/dp/B004MC8CA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=mobile-apps&qid=1325391773&sr=1-1

I really like this one. It's easy to navigate and you can choose the version...and there's LOTS of versions. (more than I knew about!)