Menu

If you are gluten free...

It can seem overwhelming and expensive. But it is not, I assure you! We feed our family of 3, sometimes 4, on $300 a month, and that includes a lot of things we don't need.

I'll give you a run down of what we eat:

Breakfast- 1. gf pancakes, eggs, juice/tea 2. Frittata (sp) with homefries/hashbrowns. 3. cereal (kix, chex), fruit

Lunch- 1. Homemade soup with a salad, sometime gf bread for dd. 2. hummus with cut veggies. 3. cut up veggie dogs, carrot sticks, fruit. 4. gf pasta with sauce (I recommend Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta. 5. rice with veggie stirfry.

Dinner: Tonight it is spaghetti with sauce, salad. My dinner tip is to start with a protein, then add a vegetable and a grain. So when we ate meat- baked teriyaki chicken, jasmine rice, and stirfry veggies. Meatloaf with french fries and salad. BBQ baked beans with steamed green beans and mashed potatoes.

You may want to make a rotating schedule. That's what I did in the beginning. So Monday is soup, T is meat main dish. W is pasta, etc.

Good luck!!

Salad with lots of veggies with grilled or pan-fried chicken tenderloins is one of my favorites. If it's too cold to grill, I just put a little olive oil in a pan and fry up the tenders.

I made a yummy lasagna with brown rice noodles.

Chicken noodle soup with brown rice noodles.

Beans and rice

Ratatouille poured over polenta

Meatloaf- I use a little brown rice flower in the meat- with mashed parsnips or mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes ETA: That should be brown rice flour!:lol:

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

DH is very new to being gluten-free and I'm trying to accommodate him as best as I can. I'm slowly accumulating more recipes and most nights that I know dh will be home I try to make something gluten-free.

Breakfasts: He usually has Chex or hashbrowns and eggs plus some fruit. You could also buy gluten-free oatmeal, and buy or make (from scratch or with mixes) pancakes and waffles.

Lunch: leftovers from supper. If that's not your style, you could have soups, salads, or sandwiches with gluten-free bread.

Supper ideas: soup (we'll leave noodles, dumplings, etc. out of the soup and cook them separately)

salad, either a side dish or with all the goodies, like leftover ham or chicken and hard-boiled eggs

quiche with a rice crust (this is sooo good, even better than a regular crust)

nachos

hamburgers with potato wedges (dh won't have the buns)

chicken cordon bleu (I'll be trying it with crumbled Chex this week)

baked egg casserole

millet and veggie casserole

meatloaf (I made mine with rice and grated carrots instead of bread crumbs)

For side dishes, I usually make rice, rice and lentil casserole, salads, squash, or a steamed veggie.

You can even buy gluten-free things, like noodles and bread, so it will be easier to serve your regular meals. Unless the label says that it is gluten-free you'll have to check the ingredient label to make sure that it doesn't have gluten (This is for EVERYTHING, not just bready-type foods. For example, chicken broth usually contains gluten.). Sometimes it's hard to tell, since natural flavorings MAY contain gluten. There are lots of other things to look for on labels. We try to buy fresh, whole foods as much as possible, which does help with this. I have a few cook books from the library and hope to try making some noodles and other breads, pancakes, etc.

My middle DD and I are gluten free. Here is some of what we eat.

-- Breaksfast: Oatmeal, smoothies, eggs, cereal, fruit and yogurt, GF toast with almond butter

-- Lunch: sandwiches on GF bread, cheese + fruit + crackers or rice, soup, chili, pizza

-- Dinner: this is the easiest for us. Protein, veggie, fruit, nuts, possibly a grain or starch (rice, quinoa, potatoes, mashed veggies like cauliflower).

My youngest dd and I are gluten free.

Breakfasts - waffles (Vann's are really good), Chex or Kix cereal, yogurt, or fried potatoes and eggs.

Lunch - sandwiches on gf bread, hummus with veggies to dip, leftovers from dinner.

Dinners - I pretty much make the same sorts of things I always did, I just sub gf pastas in place of regular pasta or replace gluten ingredients (soy sauce, cream soups, etc.) with a gf version.

We really like Pamela's mixes baking treats. I have a wicked sweet tooth and would be lost without my baking mix.

My dd has been gluten free for several months. Here are some things that helped me in the beginning:

*If you live near a Whole Foods, go to the WF website. You can find the link to your closest store's webpage and download a list of all the products they carry that are gluten free. It will save you a lot of time reading the ingredients on labels once you're in the store. For instance, right away I was able to find a GF sweet and sour sauce to substitute for the one we've always used.

*Go to the Betty Crocker website and see all the meal and snack recipes that use Betty Crocker gluten free mixes. (The "Impossible Pie" recipes with GF bisquick were especially helpful here.)

*Udi's makes great sliced GF bread and hamburger/hotdog buns.

*Kitchen Basics stocks (in the boxes) are gluten free. Wolfgang Puck and Progresso also have some GF choices with the GF info very visible on the front of the can.

*Boar's Head deli meat is gluten free. Oscar Mayer weiners are, too. :001_smile:

*Pamela's cornbread mix is good. I bought Bob's Red Mill cornbread first and it was very depressing to think about eating that forever. But we're thankful for Bob's GF oatmeal (available in old-fashioned, quick cooking or steel cut.)

I haven't had any problems at Whole Foods, but I've had to be careful at the grocery store where I usually shop with stale GF products or expired sell -by dates on packaged foods.

Edited by Laurie

Don't you have a Trader Joes? I think they have a good selection of gf products (at least that's what I read doing my own research the last few days). I don't have one, and it's almost an hour's drive to the nearest WF. :(

Suppers are going to be easiest for me, as I don't really have to modify much. Protein, veggie, and veggie (or fruit).

Breakfast- eggs, oatmeal, cream of rice, or gf cereal. Lunch is going to be the hardest, but nachos made w/ corn tortilla chips, beans, lettuce, tomato, and salsa is simple. Chicken tenders/nuggets made at home rather than prepared, yogurt and fruit/veggies. That's all I have so far.

Thanks, all for the ideas and suggestions. I'm feeling a bit less overwhelmed, and, dare I say it, excited :001_smile:. When I lost a bunch of weight in 2006, I was unintentionally gluten free for quite a while, and I remember feeling better than I'd felt in years, but I thought it was the exercise and weight loss. Now I'm hopeful it might have been the gluten free part. To feel good again would be a wonderful gift!

Once you get past thinking of all the bread and pasta things, it gets pretty easy.

Today's menu is cereal, nachos for lunch, cabbage rolls for supper.

I mostly fix things that are naturally gf and/or easily substituted. So, if I make soup, most are naturally gf. If it's chowder, I make a slurry of cornstarch and cream to thicken at then end instead of a butter & flour roux at the beginning.

I make rice casseroles instead of noodle casseroles, use roasted potato cubes instead of croutons for salad, etc. The biggest thing for me was vetting ingredients - soy sauce, salad dressing - for hidden gluten. Then, the fun experimenting with the bready, desserty things commenced. :D