Menu

Help me decide!

wy_kid_wrangler04

Help me choose a good, comprehensive Ancients program for my 1st, 2nd & 5th graders  

1. 1. Help me choose a good, comprehensive Ancients program for my 1st, 2nd & 5th graders

• MFW Ancients
    • MOH 1 w/ fun supplements
    • other- please don't give me to many more to research ;)

I love MFW, but..... for me, doing a complete program just doesn't work.

I really like MOH, because you can add a lot of different things to it, and I really like the way they explain everything biblically. I am actually doing MOH 1 along with SOTW 1, and using SOTW activities & activity books. It works for us, because if days go by and we don't get history in, I don't feel terrible-but with MFW I did. We always get our math & LA in, but some weeks I would just read the MOH lesson or SOTW lesson at the table while the kids were eating, then we would make up the mapping & things when we got a chance. I felt like I got too behind with MFW.

Rambling, I know, but you get the idea.:tongue_smilie:

I love MFW, but..... for me, doing a complete program just doesn't work.

I really like MOH, because you can add a lot of different things to it, and I really like the way they explain everything biblically. I am actually doing MOH 1 along with SOTW 1, and using SOTW activities & activity books. It works for us, because if days go by and we don't get history in, I don't feel terrible-but with MFW I did. We always get our math & LA in, but some weeks I would just read the MOH lesson or SOTW lesson at the table while the kids were eating, then we would make up the mapping & things when we got a chance. I felt like I got too behind with MFW.

Rambling, I know, but you get the idea.:tongue_smilie:

The bolded is happening to us this year. I LOVE MFW!!! I really REALLY do. I have found more than not though that I do have this huge feeling of being behind. So, right now I am thinking about MOH, Greenleaf Guide to the Old Testament and........ Maybe G. Fosters Augustus Caesers World? Maybe adding in SOTW 1 would be good for my 2 younger kiddos. Plus a lot of literature ofcourse!

Or-- maybe the MOH Audios, plus all of the above? Or SOTW Audios plus all of the above??

Hard decision! I had bought both to use this year and I keep going back and forth! It has been difficult for me to do decide. I suggest MFW since you are currently using that program. Currently we are using MFW, but just the history portion and part of the bible (just the readings going along with the history). I think both programs are good and it really just depends on which one is easier for you to teach. MOH goes into more detail and covers more topics and I really can't see using this program for kids under 4th grade, even though the program suggest it. MFW is going to be easier to set up and get started IMHO. MOH has a ton of pages to read through and I got lost in all of it. Best of luck in deciding!

Hard decision! I had bought both to use this year and I keep going back and forth! It has been difficult for me to do decide. I suggest MFW since you are currently using that program. Currently we are using MFW, but just the history portion and part of the bible (just the readings going along with the history). I think both programs are good and it really just depends on which one is easier for you to teach. MOH goes into more detail and covers more topics and I really can't see using this program for kids under 4th grade, even though the program suggest it. MFW is going to be easier to set up and get started IMHO. MOH has a ton of pages to read through and I got lost in all of it. Best of luck in deciding!

If we do MOH, I think we will go with SOTW also so it does make more sense to both ds's. Here are my plans on MOH if we stick with that.

MOH Book-- dd will read lesson

MOH Audios-- then we will all listen to the lesson and discuss it as a family.

Greenleaf Guide to the Old Testament Study Pack-- we will do this together and schedule it to fit in with MOH

Story Of The World 1-- I will read this to coordinate with MOH and ask ds's questions about it when dd is reading MOH lesson-- have ds's narrate/dictate

Plus do read alouds, and have dd read extra literature

I want to get good recs on lit so I can buy the most recommended books then fill in at the library with extras. (I have a whole different thread for that. I went thread crazy today :lol: I want to start buying for next year :tongue_smilie:)

Now- my only concern is that this will get confusing. I am not sure it will though if I get some good planning in and get a general outline about when I want to schedule what because bother history programs are relatively open and go and just do the next thing. I can add in projects from either so that will help with the fun aspect I want without being to much so it doesn't get done. (again- I will figure that all out when I start planning how to make this all flow together) Isn't there a schedule already somewhere with these 3 programs?? The internet is huge :lol:

If we do MOH, I think we will go with SOTW also so it does make more sense to both ds's. Here are my plans on MOH if we stick with that.

Greenleaf Guide to the Old Testament Study Pack-- we will do this together and schedule it to fit in with MOH

Story Of The World 1-- I will read this to coordinate with MOH and ask ds's questions about it when dd is reading MOH lesson-- have ds's narrate/dictate

I want to get good recs on lit so I can buy the most recommended books then fill in at the library with extras. (I have a whole different thread for that. I went thread crazy today :lol: I want to start buying for next year :tongue_smilie:)

Now- my only concern is that this will get confusing. I am not sure it will though if I get some good planning in and get a general outline about when I want to schedule what because bother history programs are relatively open and go and just do the next thing. I can add in projects from either so that will help with the fun aspect I want without being to much so it doesn't get done. (again- I will figure that all out when I start planning how to make this all flow together) Isn't there a schedule already somewhere with these 3 programs?? The internet is huge :lol:

It's a lot easier to combine these 2 things than you would think.:001_smile: I don't have any planning software, because that is just too much work for me, plus I am not good with technical stuff! It is easy to match up your lessons, because they follow the same order. I've had a few extra lessons in one or the other, but for the most part, it works well. I like that I can use book recommendations for both, and if we do get behind, if we don't add any extra books, I still feel like they are getting something out of it. We already had the SOTW audio cd's, so those are the ones we use.

You still could just do the history portion of MFW, as the others have said. I've tried that, but then I feel pulled towards doing everything, and feel like I'm "wasting" it if I don't.

One suggestion, don't try to do or add in too much-that's always been my big downfall.

Good luck!

If you sign up for the MOH 1 yahoo group, there are schedules for using MOH with other resources including Greenleaf, SOTW and other supplemental living books in addition to video lists. If I remember correctly, the back of the MOH book itself tells you what bible verses to read with the lessons. It also lists supplemental books to go with each lesson.

Edited by atozmom
forgot to add link

If you sign up for the MOH 1 yahoo group, there are schedules for using MOH with other resources including Greenleaf, SOTW and other supplemental living books in addition to video lists. If I remember correctly, the back of the MOH book itself tells you what bible verses to read with the lessons. It also lists supplemental books to go with each lesson.

Awesome! Thank you!:D

I am sad that we missed the bible portions of MFW when we did MOH. To me, MOH is fine, but it didn't resonate with my kids. I wasn't overwhelmed and it felt like a book written by mom, and too conversational for my taste. I would do MFW with the emphasis on bible, then history.

The Bible portion takes you through the Old Testament chronologically right? We are thinking to do this to add into MOH. Do you think that would be fairly similar to MFW Ancients Bible??

I am using Greenleaf Press Old Testament study with Mystery of History Volume I. I personnally think it is much more Bible than MFW CTG.

I used MFW K, 1, and ADV. I am now doing MOH with Greenleaf Press with a 2nd and 1st grader.

The reasons are many, and I can only see as much Bible for CTG as is shown on the web-site. From what I can see of the two MFW CTG sample weeks it would be less Bible covered than is offered in Greenleaf.

The Bible in Greenleaf is wonderful and comprehensive and goes very well with MOH. It reads about 1 chapter of the Bible each day and then has 5 - 10 questions to go with it. For example, lesson 1 in the Greenleaf book is to read from your own Bible chapter 1 and the first 3 verses of chapter 2 in Genesis. Then the Greenleaf book has 5 questions to go with the scripture read. The questions are very thoughtful and make my kids think. The book has 180 lessons, so it covers a significant portion of the Old Testament in 36 weeks for this age group. It does go in chronological order and starts with reading one chapter of Genesis each day. (Have you ever added up the years of peoples lives in Genesis? Fascinating. Adam died when Noah's dad was alive. Interesting things he points out) It is meant to be used in 1st grade (as a first history course), but his web-site says that even high schoolers use the study.

The thing I personally like about Mystery of History is that it tells a story of history in chronological order, and includes the Bible stories in that story of Ancient History.

In MFW CTG it would have been the Bible as the spine with Victor's Journey through the Bible and Streams of Civiilization. (two books that are more presented in fact/research manner). It is also a program that might be a bit much for 1st/2nd.

Children love stories, and they remember stories. So for us we do prefer the fact that we are reading the stories of ancient history and then reading actual scripture with Greenleaf (and through Greenleaf reading more scripture & doing a more in-depth study than we would have done in CTG). My kids are loving it; espcecially my 8 year old. They do remember what we read, and it is going very well. I also like the fact that their 'history book' has bible stories in it; indicating that yes the bible really is a part of the history story. (just like those old American public school textbooks from centuries past ;)).

Blessings for your decision! :)

P.S. Another option would be to read all of the Bible chapters listed in the back that go with each chapter in MOH. She does list each portion of the Bible that matches that weeks lesson. The number of chapters out of the Bible varies for each lesson.

P.P.S. Mystery of History would be plenty for your 5th grader, and it does include activities and supplements to allow for that age group.

Edited by gratitude

The Bible portion takes you through the Old Testament chronologically right? We are thinking to do this to add into MOH. Do you think that would be fairly similar to MFW Ancients Bible??

Soooo.... Why not just go with MFW then? Because with all this adding that you're already doing to MOH before you've even started, you could just buy MFW and be done with it. ;) If you have trouble getting ALL of MFW assignments completed each and every day or week (sometimes we would do a "catch up" day or week), then what makes you think you'll do ALL of the resources that you're planning to add to MOH? I don't mean that to sound snarky... it's a sincere question.

Yes, the Bible portion of MFW CTG takes you through the Old Testament chronologically.

Thus, I voted for MFW in your poll because you said in the OP that you want a "complete" program. For ME, it's easier to take a "complete" program and skip or move things around on the weekly grid, than it is to create my own program and add tons of resources and then have to sift through it all and write lesson plans. I *like* doing that.... it's enjoyable to me. But it takes a lot of time, and it doesn't guarantee getting the work DONE beyond the first few days or week or two weeks or however long I've spent all that time writing lesson plans for. And I end up feeling like I'm wasting time reinventing the wheel. :glare: WE are more productive when we start with something that's already prepared, and then just skip or add certain things as time and interest allow.

IOW, if the main problem you're having in making a decision is because you really really really really want to use MOH -- but don't want to give up the benefits of MFW -- it would be easier (for me) to do MFW and add MOH as a read-aloud (though it's not needed and you'll find some repetition), and maybe pick between the hands-on activities in MFW and MOH, than it would to start with MOH and add a bunch of stuff, write lesson plans, get overwhelmed, not be really sure if it's enough or too much, etc.

(Now, this is MFW elementary I'm talking about... when doing it with multiple children. I think mom *needs* all the efficiency she can get during those years. High school is another matter.)

One other thought: You mentioned in an earlier post the idea of adding Augustus Caesar's World. That's the wrong time period. ACW begins with Rome, which is right before the time of Christ. (Rome was founded during the "silent period" of the Bible.) And if you end up staying with MFW, you'll use ACW in Rome to Reformation, anyway.

Actually, all the things Gratitude mentioned about the Bible in Greenleaf and activities in MOH are true of MFW CTG as well: Activities and age-appropriate books for younger children (don't forget about the extensive booklist in the back of the TM); further study/activities to help with retention and building a strong biblical foundation (instead of comp questions, it's things like memorizing the 10 Commandments, learning about the Jewish feasts from a Christ-centered perspective, notebooking pages, activities online via the Usborne Internet-Linked books, and more); reading and memorizing large portions of the actual Bible (vs. just reading stories about the Bible); scheduled read-alouds that address heart and character issues... Those are just a few examples.

You read large portions of the OT in CTG, while still keeping it age-appropriate for little ones. IOW, you don't read the passage about Lot's daughters coming in to him during the night. :001_huh: But you do read the passages before and after that. So Marie has been watchful of things like that when assigning the Bible passages.... getting the whole story out there in chronological order, with activities for retention and fun, while pointing the way to Christ. You can have your older student read some of those "skipped" passages if you feel he's ready and want to discuss them.

No, you're not going to read Streams or Victor Journey with the little guys. ;) (Although Victor Journey does have a lot of nice pictures in it, so you can simply say "here's a picture of where they were when this happened".) MFW is meant to be used with multiple ages, so those are two resources used mostly with older siblings. But the little guys haven't been left out in MFW. There's plenty for them to do.

Anyway, I've not used Greenleaf and I'm sure it's a great resource. I just wanted to explain more about what's in MFW CTG for clarification.

We are using MFW Adventures right now. I love the concept of a "complete" program. Looking toward next year, we also want to do ancients. One of the reasons we chose not to do MFW is that ancient history is split between CTG & RTR and my ds9 cannot wait to learn more about Rome.:)

We will be using:

SOTW 1 with the AG and probably the audio cds

Vos Children's Bible

A few of SCM's recommended resources for this time period

I have also found a few great sites that have schedules and resources for SOTW, MOH, SL etc.

The Chronicle of the Earth

Paula's Archives

Have you been able to sit down with a copy of MOH? I own MOH 1, and am contemplating exactly what you are, so am interested in this thread. I had tried to do MOH a year or so ago, and it just didn't click with my family. I don't know if it was because I was overwhelmed trying to figure out the hs'ing thing, or if it was the material. Constructing the timeline just about put me over the edge, but I have a friend who loved MOH, esp. the timeline.

Anyway, I will be sitting down soon to take another look at it to see what I think now that we are in a groove with the other subjects, and now that we are 1/2 way into MFW, to compare. So take this with a grain of salt. I just wanted to recommend that-if possible-you sit down with a borrowed copy of MOH to gauge if it really is easier. I'm thinking doing MOH, combined with other sources, is going to be as much, if not more work than just doing CtG and digging in and having fun with it, whatever pace you need to.

ETA: Gratitudes post underneath mine now makes me really think I need to take a harder look. And pray. Lots of prayer. :)

Edited by Mallorie

reading and memorizing large portions of the actual Bible (vs. just reading stories about the Bible); scheduled read-alouds that address heart and character issues... Those are just a few examples.

Oh, Donna MFW is a lovely program. I wouldn't have used three of its programs if I didn't think so!

Greenleaf does read from the actual Bible, and MOH has the scriptures laid out in the back to read from the actual Bible. It too is a wonderful program. Children though also love stories, and I don't think it is harmful at all to have the story laid out in Mystery of History. Susan does the same thing in Story of the World, which MFW does use in Rome to the present day (yes, they don't use a 'story' in CTG so that Bible is the spine But Bible is the spine in our History program too that leads us every day to read from the actual Bible). Giving our children the Bible as history is important, and both options she is looking at would accomplish that goal.

It just depends what the original post is looking for in a program.

I love the fact that I can finally do the science and writing programs that I have wanted to do and have the time to do it. I can not really take the credit though, my DH put our current curriculum together.

I don't feel like I have lost Bible or academics though by switching to Greenleaf and MOH. Rob Schafer is incredible in his Bible study. Very very thoughtful, and thorough and than thorough so more. Linda in MOH is conversational and grabs my young children's attention and teaches them history in a meaningful way that they remember.

Either way the original post will have a wonderful history program because Bible is the spine for both. It just depends on what she is looking for. Personally I am Loving my switch to Greenleaf and MOH. It is really bringing the depth of scripture into my home that I was looking for.

Blessings.

In Christ,

Carin

Look at Biblioplan. It coordinates everything for you.

Look at Biblioplan. It coordinates everything for you.

:iagree: It includes use of MOH, but if you went with the biblioplan lineup for SOTW, you should know that it rearranges some of the chapters. Ancient egypt is studied more consecutively to stay on topic, I suppose. It also leaves out a few chapters. Just a heads up.

Edited by MyLittleBears

Have you been able to sit down with a copy of MOH? I own MOH 1, and am contemplating exactly what you are, so am interested in this thread. I had tried to do MOH a year or so ago, and it just didn't click with my family. I don't know if it was because I was overwhelmed trying to figure out the hs'ing thing, or if it was the material. Constructing the timeline just about put me over the edge, but I have a friend who loved MOH, esp. the timeline.

:iagree:about the timeline. A timeline is an abstraction of an abstraction and that's not my idea--it's from one of SWB's audio lectures. Essentially, the teacher has to do the timeline for younger students. So, since I am the teacher and I don't want to build the timeline :001_smile:, I'm not going to do it. :001_smile: I do require my logic stage kids to make one, but they can do this 99% independently. That tells me they are developmentally ready for a timeline.

I have MOH 1 and we are not using it. Kid wrangler, I will send it to you if you want it.

I wanted so much to like MOH because of the Bible content, but in the end I felt overwhelmed by choosing what to get through in a year. STOW 1 is written at a better level of understanding for young kids, IMO. Maybe MOH would have been good for me to read, for me.

Oh, Donna MFW is a lovely program. I wouldn't have used three of its programs if I didn't think so!

Greenleaf does read from the actual Bible, and MOH has the scriptures laid out in the back to read from the actual Bible. It too is a wonderful program. Children though also love stories, and I don't think it is harmful at all to have the story laid out in Mystery of History. Susan does the same thing in Story of the World, which MFW does use in Rome to the present day (yes, they don't use a 'story' in CTG so that Bible is the spine But Bible is the spine in our History program too that leads us every day to read from the actual Bible). Giving our children the Bible as history is important, and both options she is looking at would accomplish that goal.

It just depends what the original post is looking for in a program.

I love the fact that I can finally do the science and writing programs that I have wanted to do and have the time to do it. I can not really take the credit though, my DH put our current curriculum together.

I don't feel like I have lost Bible or academics though by switching to Greenleaf and MOH. Rob Schafer is incredible in his Bible study. Very very thoughtful, and thorough and than thorough so more. Linda in MOH is conversational and grabs my young children's attention and teaches them history in a meaningful way that they remember.

Either way the original post will have a wonderful history program because Bible is the spine for both. It just depends on what she is looking for. Personally I am Loving my switch to Greenleaf and MOH. It is really bringing the depth of scripture into my home that I was looking for.

Blessings.

In Christ,

Carin

Oh, I agree with much of what you said here. :) And I didn't think you were speaking ill of MFW... though it does happen on this board, so I apologize if it sounded like I was defending it from that perspective. ;) I just wanted to offer more detail about CTG in particular since you said you hadn't used that year. I didn't want anyone left to think that CTG doesn't have enough Bible coverage, or that it doesn't have anything for the younger ones.

I personally haven't used Greenleaf, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm not in love with MOH for various reasons, but it's acceptable enough for me to allow my 7th grader to use it this year. (She's going through both vol. 3 and 4.) So I'm not anti-MOH or anti-Greenleaf. I just know that in MY experience, I get more done "going right down the grid" and skipping or adding as we go along vs. planning it all from scratch. For many years, it came down to sheer practicality for me. This year is the first year that I've had my three children doing something completely different.

Different needs in different seasons! :001_smile:

(Except now I'm tempted to take a look at Greenleaf for dd #3 when we get there... :tongue_smilie: )

Oh, I agree with much of what you said here. :) And I didn't think you were speaking ill of MFW... though it does happen on this board, so I apologize if it sounded like I was defending it from that perspective. ;) I just wanted to offer more detail about CTG in particular since you said you hadn't used that year. I didn't want anyone left to think that CTG doesn't have enough Bible coverage, or that it doesn't have anything for the younger ones.

I personally haven't used Greenleaf, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm not in love with MOH for various reasons, but it's acceptable enough for me to allow my 7th grader to use it this year. (She's going through both vol. 3 and 4.) So I'm not anti-MOH or anti-Greenleaf. I just know that in MY experience, I get more done "going right down the grid" and skipping or adding as we go along vs. planning it all from scratch. For many years, it came down to sheer practicality for me. This year is the first year that I've had my three children doing something completely different.

Different needs in different seasons! :001_smile:

(Except now I'm tempted to take a look at Greenleaf for dd #3 when we get there... :tongue_smilie: )

:grouphug: Hugs Donna!

This makes perfect sense. You are very correct that MFW Ancients would 'add' different elements that MOH and Greenleaf don't have together. I haven't used CTG, but I know MFW style would add the grid, feasts, hands on activities, cooking, science, writing, etc...etc.. :) MOH does list different activities for different age groups, but the style and suggestions are much different than MFW.

I still think about using ECC at some point, but now was definitely not the time.

I have been amazed at how much we are loving Greenleaf, MOH, and Astronomy together. Who would have thought?

I hope this thread helps wy_kid_wrangler04 decide.

I have been amazed at how much we are loving Greenleaf, MOH, and Astronomy together. Who would have thought?

Care to share how the Astronomy study is fitting together with that time period? I know that MFW schedules it during the Middle Ages and Renaissance era when many discoveries were made in astronomy and other sciences. But if I could find a good excuse to do it sooner than that with dd #3, I would. :D We love Jeannie Fulbright's Astronomy book! (We didn't do the science scheduled in CTG.)

Care to share how the Astronomy study is fitting together with that time period? I know that MFW schedules it during the Middle Ages and Renaissance era when many discoveries were made in astronomy and other sciences. But if I could find a good excuse to do it sooner than that with dd #3, I would. :D We love Jeannie Fulbright's Astronomy book! (We didn't do the science scheduled in CTG.)

Now I know why MFW waits until RTR for Apologia Astronomy! I always did wonder why they waited so long for the book that Jeannie Fullbright suggests to do first in her series. I hadn't thought of the idea of using it with the time period of scientific discovery, but I can see why they decided to do it that way.

Yes, Astronomy does fit with the time period of ancient history. It fits really well for me, & the children of course enjoy both. I see it as fitting perfectly. As we study the creation of the world, the first people, the development of human cultures, the flood, Abraham, Moses, and on into increasing civilizations in my mind we are really studying the Earth and how it first began. The beginning of the Earth & the heavens, and the beginning of human Ancient History.

In astronomy we are studying how the stars and planets began and fit together in a way that allows Earth to have life, and be the planet it is. To me they both seem like the beginning of everything we know. The universe, planets, moons, etc. have been here since God put them into place. So as we study the ancient world and its people we are also studying the same planets that spun around the sun when the ancient world was in existence. Or, the way I think of it is that the same moon that Adam, Noah, Abraham, and Jesus looked at I look at too. Now we are learning more about it. The Earth has changed between the time of Adam and now, but the sun and planets and moon have not. And of course a star is what led the wise men to the Christ Child. So to me if it is a study of ancient human history from Creation to Jesus it is a study that involves the stars, heavens, sun, moon, and milky way. The ancient people were much more in touch with the stars than we are today. So as we study both it makes me feel closer to the world they would have focused on rather than the world I focus on (houses, cars, streets, parks, stores, etc.). So that is the connection I make, and I didn't realize going into it how much I would make that connection and how perfect it really feels to me to do Astronomy and the Ancients together.

Oh, home schooling is fun; isn't it? :)

Interesting take! I just might have to do that next time around. It does sound fascinating when you put it the way you described, Gratitude. HOD schedules astronomy during the RTR period, too, so I guess it hadn't even crossed even my mind to do it during the old ancients. I can't remember where WTM places it....

I just checked Simply Charlotte Mason to see where they have it. I don't like the order in which they go. :confused: The Botany book is better served later than 1st grade, I think. http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/science/

See, we have choices! :D