Menu

Junior Taking SAT - Wait until March?

My dd is a junior this year, and I originally planned for her to take the SAT in January. But she is in no way prepared. As a matter of fact, I am pulling my hair out, because she has been steadfastly refusing all fall to work through prep books, practice with the various college board tools, or even learn to use the graphing calculator that we have. Grrr... So I don't think she can possibly be "ready" to take the SAT in January, but the next time it is offered isn't until March. She isn't applying anywhere yet, so is it a problem to wait until March? Or should she take it in January, then possibly again in March if her scores need improvement?

I am really not enjoying this part of the journey!!! ;)

Thanks!

I'm in a similar boat. I had planned a January SAT and February ACT to discern which might work better for dd and plan future testing accordingly. Then I realized dd has a piano recital scheduled for the same date as the SAT. My plan goes down the drain. March and April are also bad for unavoidable family occasions. I think we may have to move back to May, or not do the recital.....

I'll be back to see the replies. They may help me.

:lurk5:

If I were in your shoes I might go ahead and schedule the SAT just to show your dd how unprepared she really is. You don't have to send those scores. Maybe having a looming deadline will give her the kick in the pants to start studying.

Hope you get more answers. My oldest dd just took her first SAT in Dec. She was very well prepared for it though. Not sure if letting your dd take the test and not doing well will affect her later on. From what I understand you can choose which scores to send schools but I could be wrong.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Wll my boy is taking the SAT for the first time in March. He did take the ACT in December, though. What if you MADE her sit down and take a practice test over this Christmas break. See what her score is and then decide. I certainly don't think March is too late. She has many chances after that to take it again if she needs to.

Wll my boy is taking the SAT for the first time in March. He did take the ACT in December, though. What if you MADE her sit down and take a practice test over this Christmas break. See what her score is and then decide. I certainly don't think March is too late. She has many chances after that to take it again if she needs to.

Dumb question, but...how long do the practice tests take to administer?

I wonder if I could use a room in the public library to simulate real testing conditions.

She isn't applying anywhere yet, so is it a problem to wait until March? Or should she take it in January, then possibly again in March if her scores need improvement?

From an SAT/college application standpoint there's no problem at all with waiting till March. And personally, as long as there's not a problem with family schedules, I think waiting until March might be a good idea. She'd have Jan-Feb to prepare, and then she'd still have the May and June (and even Sept if necessary) test dates if she needed to retake it for any reason.

From what I understand you can choose which scores to send schools but I could be wrong.

Depends on the school; some schools specifically request that ALL scores are submitted.

However, I can not see how doing not so well on an earlier test and subsequently improving on a retake could be viewed as bad. I'd think schools would appreciate a student who tries again and improves by hard work.

Did she take a PSAT at all? That would have given her some sense of where she is. Otherwise, I'd definitely do a practice test asap and consider having her do a pricey classroom prep course if you have the money. They do a lot of practice sections in the prep courses. You can do this at home, but if she is refusing, I;d outsource if possible. I have a prep schedule set for my oldest beginning in January for his Junior year PSAT next fall, but if I find it isn't getting done, I'll outsource it to The Princeton Review this summer.

I have mine start taking the ACT in the spring beginning at 13 (when they can sign up online) as their annual testing per our state homeschool law. I had my tenth grader do the PSAT in October. Our local high school seems to seriously frown on having 9th graders take the PSAT or I'd have ds14 take it next fall along with his older brother. I'm not sure when I'll have ds16 take the SAT itself first though, as I'd like to see his PSAT score from next fall before deciding.

Thank you to everyone who replied! We are waiting until March for dd to take the SAT. Possibly doing the ACT in February and the SAT in March, but, strangely, there is NO emphasis on the ACT here on the east coast. Back in the day when I took the tests, most college bound students took both, but here it is almost as if no one has heard of the ACT. :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting my mind at ease regarding a March test date!

Thank you to everyone who replied! We are waiting until March for dd to take the SAT. Possibly doing the ACT in February and the SAT in March, but, strangely, there is NO emphasis on the ACT here on the east coast. Back in the day when I took the tests, most college bound students took both, but here it is almost as if no one has heard of the ACT. :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting my mind at ease regarding a March test date!

I applied to a lot of east coast schools 15 years ago and had to take the SAT, for stayed schools in the Midwest, I needed ACT. I started taking the ACT in 7th grade. I took it 3 times my Jr year and once senior year. I took the SAT almost as many times. My scores definitely improved each time. No matter how you try, you cannot recreate that environment. It is stressful. I would have her take the test as many times as she can.

I applied to a lot of east coast schools 15 years ago and had to take the SAT, for stayed schools in the Midwest, I needed ACT. I started taking the ACT in 7th grade. I took it 3 times my Jr year and once senior year. I took the SAT almost as many times. My scores definitely improved each time. No matter how you try, you cannot recreate that environment. It is stressful. I would have her take the test as many times as she can.

I'm not sure I would take it that many times anymore. Schools see all the scores. If you improve greatly from time to time that would be one thing but if she just stays somewhat the same or worse, it wouldn't look good.

My dd deliberately took the SAT in March two years ago. She was taking a lot of SAT subject tests, and the March testing date is the only date when subject tests aren't available. That was her only reason :glare: She was determined to be "one and done" and was very happy with her score.