Menu

Has anyone seen this in reading...

5 Hikers

I've taught kids like this before. They are very good at segmenting, but still weak with blending. It's not super uncommon, especially at this age with very phonetically spelled words.

You may try using a word family approach to blending, and see if that helps. For example, take his "plot" and ask him to point to the letters that spell "ot." Then make a list of other simple words that end in "ot" (pot, spot, hot, clot, etc.). You can do this for other words he is working on in his reading/readers. It will help him with linking those symbols to a sound when it is visual input instead of auditory input.

I hope that helps. Barring any reading disability, I'm sure he's just on the uphill side of becoming a fluent reader. He'll get there.

My ds7 can spell anything I ask almost, but then he cannot read them back to me. For example: Plot, brush, teeth.

I just think it's wierd and wondered about it. He can eventually sound these out, but it seems to take him forever. He can spell them quickly.

Just curious. But if you have him stand in front of you, and then you hold up a pencil, can he follow the pencil with his eyes without moving his head. Move the pencil left to right and back again and then in a circle. Can he do that?

My kids did/are doing the same thing, though at younger ages. They are able to spell before they can read. One day my oldest dd went from slowly sounding out words (which she could very easily spell) to reading a whole book overnight. Within about 6 months she could read any picture book and maybe 1 1/2 years later she could read anything she got her hands on. All I did was continue to work on spelling more and more complicated words by sounding them out orally while also playing simple reading games with just one word at a time. Then one day it just clicked.

I had a daughter that could spell when asked to spell a word, but she could not read aloud. She knew what the word meant, but she could not vocalize it.

We retreated to phonics using a syllabic approach - Megawords. I use a combination of Sound and Structure from R&S and Megawords. She has improved greatly in the last year.

So, my advice is to spell sounds and not words.

My youngest has dyseidetic dyslexia and this was the case with her. She could spell basic code phonetic words very easily, but struggled mightily with sounding out those same words.

In her case, it was a combination of visual processing delays, visual efficiency delays, and visual dyslexia. Anything with visual input has always been MUCH harder for her.

Vision therapy took care of the visual efficiency delays and lot of her visual processing started catching up after that.

This is the sequence that worked for my dd after she finished vision therapy. We started all of this right around her 7th birthday.

I See Sam readers sets 1-4 with Headsprout parts 1 and 2

Funnix level 2 with Phonics for Reading 2

Phonics for Reading 3

LOTS of timed repeated readings

LOTS of work with nonsense words

Rewards Reading Secondary

Yes.

My oldest, who has visual perception/possible dyslexia, has always spelled better than he reads.

He knew enough phonics. He wasn't seeing/perceiving the letters on the page.

I like Dancing Bears Fast Track for my ds who already had a good grasp of phonics (through SWR and Recipe for Reading and plenty of other things I tried). This took him from *knowing* that ai says /A/...to just saying /A/ when he sees ai. (and same with the other phonograms)

The big thing is making the eyes practice tracking, decoding, sound-by-sound and word-by-word. Uncovering one sound at a time with a cursor (3x5 card with a notch cut out) is a miracle therapy.:001_smile: I also use a board sometimes and write one sound at a time....take a mental picture of the word...erase. Now, spell it as I dictate the sounds.

Keep up with the spelling. It will pay off down the road. Get his eyes checked by a developmental opt.

Just curious. But if you have him stand in front of you, and then you hold up a pencil, can he follow the pencil with his eyes without moving his head. Move the pencil left to right and back again and then in a circle. Can he do that?

Good question!!!! I was just going to ask if the child's eyes had ever been checked--by a real eye doctor, not just the nurse at the pediatrician's office.

Good question!!!! I was just going to ask if the child's eyes had ever been checked--by a real eye doctor, not just the nurse at the pediatrician's office.

As many people wrote above, my daughter also had vision issues and needed vision therapy. It may be normal, but having it checked out would be good. Her "regular" eye exam was normal.

And while there are a host of causes or reasons, ours was in part the whole word focus and lack of phonics. They did not read aloud in the classroom either, which is the largest player in not developing the ability to decode a word too. If you do not hear a word often enough or even similar words, how can you decode?

I think that the oral component of reading is often dropped too early or not focused on enough. While your student is young, you too should read aloud and let them see what you are reading. You should repeat the books that you read too. Always keep books below reading level for personal reading or silent reading. Use books on level or above level for reading aloud.

Practice the "Golden Rule". After a few seconds when the word is not decoded or it cannot be sounded out, you say the word. Many words are not phonetic, i.e. phone or early.

Reading aloud, both you and your student, is a necessary component.

As I mentioned too, you should work on spelling sounds and not words - ba, laf, goo, tic, etc. Use single syllable sounds.

My kids did/are doing the same thing, though at younger ages. They are able to spell before they can read. One day my oldest dd went from slowly sounding out words (which she could very easily spell) to reading a whole book overnight. Within about 6 months she could read any picture book and maybe 1 1/2 years later she could read anything she got her hands on. All I did was continue to work on spelling more and more complicated words by sounding them out orally while also playing simple reading games with just one word at a time. Then one day it just clicked.

:iagree:We used SWR, as kiddo was a little frustrated with reading, and *sailing through SWR made him feel very capable*. He got the phonetic 3 and 4 letter words fairly young, but didn't start being able to scan a whole line until he was 7. Now, at 9 he is finally getting fluid in more complex language, and "reads" above grade. But it is work. For "fun" he reads down a couple grades, for sure.

Thanks, I had his vision tested and not just an eye exam but a whole workup by a developmental guy. He does not have any vision problems. I talked to the ped about dyslexia but he does not have any problem with letter recognition, and his copywork is above level. He can easily copy a paragraph onto paper. He does not mix up any letters or numbers. He knows the phonics rules, and I read aloud a whole lot.

We did start late, as I started following CM. He is extremely wiggly and is easily distracted, so I waited until last January to begin reading. We have made it through ETC 1,2,3,4. He has also done PP through page 80 something. We have also tried LTR by CLE and made it to LU5.

What has worked the best so far is recently I gave up and started just having him read books. He can read Little Bear and is currently reading through Little Bear Visits. On a page he might not know 2-4 words. I copy those words onto a card, review those everyday, and I also tell him the word if he cannot sound it out in a few seconds.

Thank you to the person who said spelling comes before fluently reading, this is what I wanted to know.

We did start late, as I started following CM. He is extremely wiggly and is easily distracted, so I waited until last January to begin reading. We have made it through ETC 1,2,3,4. He has also done PP through page 80 something. We have also tried LTR by CLE and made it to LU5.

What has worked the best so far is recently I gave up and started just having him read books. He can read Little Bear and is currently reading through Little Bear Visits. On a page he might not know 2-4 words. I copy those words onto a card, review those everyday, and I also tell him the word if he cannot sound it out in a few seconds.

It sounds like he's doing well, especially since you only just started teaching him in January! Little Bear is grade level 1.8, and Little Bear's Visit is grade level 2.7, so if he can read those and is in 1st grade (I assume?), he sounds right on target or slightly ahead. :D

Just keep doing what you're doing right now, and the fluency will come. Don't forget to have him read easier books that are BELOW his current reading level (those easy readers and Dr. Seuss books and such), as that will help with fluency. I think he just needs time though, since he started a bit late (which is NOT a problem). Kids reading Little Bear at the end of first grade have had almost 2 years of reading instruction, so I don't think you need to worry. :)