Menu

OUP's The Medieval and Early Modern World

Jaybee

I have heard so much about how great Oxford University Press's Ancient World Set is, and ordered it when they had the huge price drop. However, we live overseas, and I had it sent to my Mom's since we will be in the U.S. next year. I have some Christmas money, and am wondering how The Medieval and Early Modern World set compares to the first set, and if I should buy it while I have the money:D; unfortunately, I can't review the first set yet to see how well it fits my boys, and also haven't heard much about the second set. Opinions appreciated, please. . . Thanks!

Well, I love the first set and have heard that the second is equal to it. However, I would either spend my Christmas money on something else right now or just save it because the price of the Medieval set will most likely decrease from where it is right now. It goes on sale at least a couple of times a year. I don't know whether you are thinking of buying it from Amazon or directly from OUP. If you put it in your Amazon cart and check your cart regularly, Amazon will flash a notice whenever the price fluctuates. I make almost all my big purchases by watching and waiting for the all-time low price.

I don't have the whole set... In fact, in the past year we've only used two of the books. While you could definitely move faster, we only do about one semester per book (with additional portfolio, timeline, documentaries, historical fiction). I mean, with 12 chapters or so... you could do it in 12 days or (like us) in 12 weeks. My point is, you may not need the *entire* set.

Thanks, all! Yes, I probably should wait. The problem is that we will be going back overseas later, and shipping is ridiculous. I am also not sure what we will be doing next year, history-wise. I started with SOTW late, but we are going through the first two books this year, with my older reading other books along the way, as well. Not sure whether next year I will just let him read what interests him from the first OUP series, since we have the books, even though it is repeating ancients, or whether to move along. Maybe we'll wait until we see the books 'in person,' and play it by ear. Again, thank you.

I totally get where you're at with trying to get the best price but also working around living overseas. It's not always easy to figure out the best option.

We're nearly finished with the Medieval and Early Modern set (one book left) and I think they've been very worthwhile. I was able to get the second set at a good price, but I paid a lot for Ancients a few years ago and still have no regrets. I think they are excellent books even if you don't get an amazing deal.

The second set is different from the first in some ways, especially since it covers two years WTM-style history (which is worth keeping in mind when you're thinking about the price). The three Early Modern books are easier to use chronologically, although went went through the Medieval and Ancients books chronologically also. It was hard to get everything in during the Ancients year and it has been nice to take things more slowly during the Medieval and Early Modern years.

Both sets are also good when you're living overseas because they cover a lot and I've found I don't need as many supplemental books as I might with some other history curricula.

Yes, Amira, the overseas bit makes curriculum ordering so much more complicated, and it's hard to correct "mistakes" as well. This year I have had my 10yo read quite a few Sonlight books we already had on hand for "history reading". I chose about 8 of the best to go along with SOTW and Usborne, and he has enjoyed that. No narrations or anything with those books, just assigned reading. I will continue that with SOTW Book 2. The 8yo just does SOTW and Usborne, which is enough for him for now. That is good to know that the books cover a lot of information in an interesting way, as well, lessening the need to order more supplements. I think I will just keep an eye on them; they may go on sale by the time I actually need them.