Menu

Dd13 wants to know about critical thinking stuff

She wants a program of some kind, or series of workbooks, that will help her with logical reasoning, like deductive and inductive skills. (She says she wants to learn how to figure things out and make connections.) Is that what I'm trying to say? She likes the Mind Benders from Critical Thinking but wants more. Any suggestions for her?

BTW, is it bad that my DH and my children know to ask me to ask the Hive about things?? :D

She wants a program of some kind, or series of workbooks, that will help her with logical reasoning, like deductive and inductive skills. (She says she wants to learn how to figure things out and make connections.) Is that what I'm trying to say? She likes the Mind Benders from Critical Thinking but wants more. Any suggestions for her?

BTW, is it bad that my DH and my children know to ask me to ask the Hive about things?? :D

Critical Thinking has many levels. Have you looked at them first? They even have software. Rainbow Resource has many pages of critical thinking resources and Amazon has a big list of logic puzzle books to browse through.

HTH!

Critical Thinking Press has good books that are very sequential in teaching about deductive reasoning and relationships, but in addition to those, you may want to look at Fallacy Detective and its sequel. It is easy to understand, and teaches logical fallacies, which are part of reasoning skills. My dc did one per week, and spent the rest of the week looking for examples of that particular fallacy along with examples of other fallacies learned in prior weeks. I think this was one of the more practical books on logic that we used because my dc are in college and they still use the terms and fallacies they learned when they are identifying fallacies used in daily life by people (politicians, letters to the editor, speakers in different situations, news articles, petition gatherers, etc.). It helped them start thinking differently and be aware of arguments commonly used.