Menu

When people show up at your door unexpectedly...

So my special needs daughter, Melissa, has a services coordinator who has to make monthly visits to our house. This month's visit was supposed to be tomorrow.

TOMORROW, I say!

Somehow signals got crossed and he showed up today. Before I know what's happening, Melissa is letting him in the front door.

He walks in to:

Me, unshowered and braless.

My house, in desperate need of a good vacuuming.

Alexa, age 11, practicing her Spanish: ("Yo no soy tu hija").

And Ben, age 6, making a valiant effort to force the family cat into a pink tutu.

Ah, fun times.

How'd everyone else's day go? :blushing:

Well, since you asked, maybe it'll make you feel better. Here is a conversation I had today with our pediatrician.

*phone rings*

Yes! Hello! I have a very important question!

Okay SunD, you wanted to talk to me about DD1?

Um, well, I don't know if it was her or DD2, actually.

So what's wrong?

All the erasers are gone!

The what?

THE ERASERS! A WHOLE NEW BOX OF PENCILS, AND ALL THE ERASERS ARE GONE! I DON'T KNOW WHO DID IT! DO I TAKE THEM BOTH TO THE ER? WHAT DO I DO!?!?

Um ... maybe they just pulled them off?

NO, THERE ARE TEETH MARKS!

At that point I started crying and DD2 brings me a "present" to make me feel better. She said, "Here your raysees mama! I sorry! No cry!"

She had bitten off all the erasers and spit them into a Christmas gift bag. :confused:

:D Nice! lol

I despise surprise visits at my door. There isn't much that annoys me but that one puts me over the edge. Good thing for him it was mixed messages. :)

My day? Same old, same old. I was finally able to get the big thing I was hoping to buy for my husband and now I don't think I'm going to be able to wait until the 25th. :)

LOL, SunD! My youngest seems to have a taste for erasers. We can't leave any pencils at all down, or she is guaranteed to eat the erasers off (before she takes off to scribble on the walls, of course). It never occurred to me that it might warrant a call to the pediatrician. That may be due to the fact that I've seen the bits in her diapers lots of times, though. :glare:

Well, since you asked, maybe it'll make you feel better. Here is a conversation I had today with our pediatrician.

*phone rings*

So what's wrong?

The what?

THE ERASERS! A WHOLE NEW BOX OF PENCILS, AND ALL THE ERASERS ARE GONE! I DON'T KNOW WHO DID IT! DO I TAKE THEM BOTH TO THE ER? WHAT DO I DO!?!?

At that point I started crying and DD2 brings me a "present" to make me feel better. She said, "Here your raysees mama! I sorry! No cry!"

She had bitten off all the erasers and spit them into a Christmas gift bag. :confused:

:lol: I'm glad they didn't eat them.

LOL, SunD! My youngest seems to have a taste for erasers. We can't leave any pencils at all down, or she is guaranteed to eat the erasers off (before she takes off to scribble on the walls, of course). It never occurred to me that it might warrant a call to the pediatrician. That may be due to the fact that I've seen the bits in her diapers lots of times, though. :glare:

Ugh! Eraser eaters!! My almost 8 year old still gets wicked pleasure out of eating every eraser in the house:glare::001_huh: I just don't get it....

Sigh.....

Faithe

Ugh! Eraser eaters!! My almost 8 year old still gets wicked pleasure out of eating every eraser in the house:glare::001_huh: I just don't get it....

Sigh.....

Faithe

My kids don't eat weird things. But once the girls came down from their rooms late at night with little wads of toilet paper shoved alarmingly far in their ears, which really scared me. Fortunately, my husband was able to get it out. It turned out, they were talking to each other, and neither wanted to hear the other...so they could go to sleep. You would think the logical solution would be that they both just stop talking, right?

Apparently they thought it make more sense to drown each other out instead with wads of toilet paper shoved into their ears.

There are things you just never think to teach your kids not to do until they are foolish enough to do them.

She said, "Here your raysees mama! I sorry! No cry!"

Awww! :001_wub: What a sweetheart!

We haven't really had any surprise visits at the door, but we've had a few unexpected calls that kids answered in... ummm... awkward ways... that meant they weren't allowed to answer the phone AT ALL for a while. I remember one child announcing that I couldn't talk (it was her music teacher) because I was on the toilet at the moment. She used very childlike vocabulary, too, and I was absolutely humiliated because *she proceeded to bring me the phone!* (Silly me -- I took the phone, thinking it was my dh and there was some emergency or something!)

*phone rings*

So what's wrong?

The what?

Don't feel bad -doctors need a good laugh too. They also need new stories about crazy mothers to tell at their Christmas parties -so you are doing your paed a favour :lol:

We need picture of the pink tutu cat!

SunD - :lol::lol::lol:

My day... hmmm...

Right before we had to go to ballet lesson and library, my 2 year old flooded the kitchen. While I was mopping the floor, he locked himself in the bathroom. I picked the lock, got him to the changing pad to get him ready to go and he peed all over me. :willy_nilly:

When we finally got to the car, he took off at the top speed toward the busy road and I had to run fast to get him. My neighbors were greatly amused. :glare:

I'm beat.

My kids don't eat weird things. But once the girls came down from their rooms late at night with little wads of toilet paper shoved alarmingly far in their ears, which really scared me. Fortunately, my husband was able to get it out. It turned out, they were talking to each other, and neither wanted to hear the other...so they could go to sleep. You would think the logical solution would be that they both just stop talking, right?

Apparently they thought it make more sense to drown each other out instead with wads of toilet paper shoved into their ears.

There are things you just never think to teach your kids not to do until they are foolish enough to do them.

That is hilarious. My girls would totally do this.

We need picture of the pink tutu cat!

SunD - :lol::lol::lol:

My day... hmmm...

Right before we had to go to ballet lesson and library, my 2 year old flooded the kitchen. While I was mopping the floor, he locked himself in the bathroom. I picked the lock, got him to the changing pad to get him ready to go and he peed all over me. :willy_nilly:

When we finally got to the car, he took off at the top speed toward the busy road and I had to run fast to get him. My neighbors were greatly amused. :glare:

I'm beat.

I'm just impressed you know how to pick the lock! LOL. (Will you be teaching your children these valuable ife skills?) I will have to see if my cat feels up to modeling in a tutu again for picture purposes haha.

:lol:

Personally I would have been quite amused by the cat in the tutu and might have enjoyed trying out my Sesame Street spanish with the young linguist! Maybe the services coordinator was relieved to find out he wasn't the only one who needed to run a vacuum.....you never know!

Thank you. I am trying to look on the bright side, too. We have a 90 gallon saltwater coral reef fish tank in our house and every.single.time he comes over he acts like it's the first time he's ever seen it and he oohs and ahhs over the fish...so I was secretly hoping that he was so hypnotized by all the colorful fish that he didn't notice anything else! Between that and the unusual sight of a cat in a tutu, who notices that a living room carpet hasn't been vacuumed or that a 38 year old homeschooling housewife didn't take a shower or put a bra on yet that day, right? haha. At least I had a sweatshirt on over my teeshirt. When he came in, I hurriedly folded my arms across my chest, sat on the couch, drew my knees up and thought to myself, "If I don't look at the floor, maybe he won't either." :lol: