Menu

Intellego Unit Studies--your experience?

JessieC

Intellego Unit Studies seem to get rave reviews, and I need help understanding why?

I recently bought the Animal Kingdom K-2 unit study for my first grader for $15. There are a lot of pages in the download but some of them are repetitive--like making a KWL chart, or a list of all the different ways the child can show their knowledge (write a play, sing a song, etc.) are copied for each chapter. Then there are some links that lead to interesting and focused information or activities, and others that are, say, a link to 31 pages of Sea World classroom lesson plans to "explore."

We have done a few days' worth of the lessons so far, and dd has enjoyed them, but I'm skipping a lot--like I'm not going to have her make a KWL chart--to me, this is a classroom activity. Currclick is having a sale for $9-$10 for Intellego studies right now, and I'm tempted to try another even though I'm not sure I get why people like them so much.

What Intellego Unit studies have you purchased, and did you love them? Why or why not?

We're doing the 3-5 Weather and 3-5 US History I, and I absolutely love them! I'm pretty sure I'm going to stock up on more before the sale ends. But I don't have anything against things that seem "classroomish" for my 8 and 9yos. Maybe the K-2 stuff wouldn't be a good fit in my house, but I ramp up the expectations by 3rd/4th grade.

The 3-5 stuff makes me very, very happy. We find it fun, interesting, and the content has both depth and breadth. We can pick and choose activities and I suppose I could adapt some if I wanted to. Zero complaints from me!

I have a couple...but I really don't like them. I really wanted them to work for us, but they just don't seem to be what we are looking for. I wish they were written to the student instead of the teacher ~ I'm not sure why that bothers me. Also, I don't care for the fact that it is mostly computer based. I find that many of the links lead to long pages of text that my kids just don't enjoy. If I were to pull out a book with the same text they would be OK with it...I guess they expect something different online. I make a point of doing all the activities (on and off line), but the kids just groan when I pull up Intellego.

I have a few of the K-2 ones but the one we've done the most out of has been the Continents and Cultures. I like it. We don't do everything in it by a long shot (my kids are pretty young) but I think there's enough information that we will be able to use it again in a few years. The activities have been fun, my guys LOVE anything on the computer so the links are always a big hit and I don't think you can beat the price for what you get.

We will be using the US Geography and US History ones starting after the new year.

We're doing the 3-5 Weather and 3-5 US History I, and I absolutely love them! I'm pretty sure I'm going to stock up on more before the sale ends. But I don't have anything against things that seem "classroomish" for my 8 and 9yos. Maybe the K-2 stuff wouldn't be a good fit in my house, but I ramp up the expectations by 3rd/4th grade.

The 3-5 stuff makes me very, very happy. We find it fun, interesting, and the content has both depth and breadth. We can pick and choose activities and I suppose I could adapt some if I wanted to. Zero complaints from me!

This is the type of review I normally hear! We will keep going along with the animal one and see if our experience is similar.

I am not so much against classroom activities, but some are designed for a larger group, not for homeschooling. I guess I see a KWL chart as possibly helpful for a group discussion so people can pool their background knowledge, but overall I have trouble with the format. How can my dd6 name everything she knows about animals, or wants to know, and who is to say the material will answer what she wants to know?

I am keeping an open mind and will forge ahead. The CurrClick sale ends on Dec. 19th, and I have a few in my cart that look interesting. As I said, DD has enjoyed it so far and it's giving us some organization for an animal unit that seemed impossibly broad before I got this.

Thanks, everyone!

We're currently using Globetrotting with Cinderella. My dds are really enjoying it, but dd8 wishes "there was more crafts". (That's what she just told me.) At this time of year, we're usually dealing with burnout and the holiday rush. I like how this Intellego unit adds small touches of music, art, and science. I don't feel as guilty about not getting to them as their own subjects. We've completed the first 2 chapters so far, and we've built a castle, learned about the elements of a fairy tale, listened to French folk music on an electric violin (the girls that this was great!), made impressionist paintings, studied chromatics, watched parts of Cinderella performed as a ballet, opera, and broadway show, learned a little about the culture and geography of France, made French food, etc...

We've found it very easy to use, complete (as in lots of little stuff I would never get pulled together - i.e. youtube links, art activities, etc...), and interesting. The girls have asked to pick another when we finish this one.

The fact that it is computer-based is a definite plus to me.

Wow--thanks for your review! That one is in my cart. I looked at the sample pages and saw the materials for the castle building and didn't know where I would get some of the things. Did you use everything it listed?

We're currently using Globetrotting with Cinderella. My dds are really enjoying it, but dd8 wishes "there was more crafts". (That's what she just told me.) At this time of year, we're usually dealing with burnout and the holiday rush. I like how this Intellego unit adds small touches of music, art, and science. I don't feel as guilty about not getting to them as their own subjects. We've completed the first 2 chapters so far, and we've built a castle, learned about the elements of a fairy tale, listened to French folk music on an electric violin (the girls that this was great!), made impressionist paintings, studied chromatics, watched parts of Cinderella performed as a ballet, opera, and broadway show, learned a little about the culture and geography of France, made French food, etc...

We've found it very easy to use, complete (as in lots of little stuff I would never get pulled together - i.e. youtube links, art activities, etc...), and interesting. The girls have asked to pick another when we finish this one.

The fact that it is computer-based is a definite plus to me.

I have this one and am so excited to use it!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...