Menu

Moms with dyslexic kids come here please!

mom2agang

I have 3 kids who have verbal apraxia (severe speech issues) one of those is dyslexic and I have a DD who also is dyslexic ( One is a very visual learner and the other has to learn all 3 ways). I'm thinking if I put them in textbook type school for it would not be a good fit and be very stressful with all the textbook reading. Am I right? Or do they do better with textbooks? Or would something like MFW or winterpromise be a better fit where I do more of the reading and it can be more relaxing subject?

I have 3 kids who have verbal apraxia (severe speech issues) one of those is dyslexic and I have a DD who also is dyslexic ( One is a very visual learner and the other has to learn all 3 ways). I'm thinking if I put them in textbook type school for it would not be a good fit and be very stressful with all the textbook reading. Am I right? Or do they do better with textbooks? Or would something like MFW or winterpromise be a better fit where I do more of the reading and it can be more relaxing subject?

Honestly I find hands on work better, but they even tire of that after a while.

Stay focused on the basics first. I have one who does better with auditory input and three that do better with visual input. All do best with hands on. But they all think science is icky and do not want visual texts. :glare: It took some doing but I have the oldest two going into Environmental science texts that don't have a lot of pictures, and the younger two are doing K'Nex for science.

For history I do MOH on audio for everyone then assign additional reading to the older three.

Guess I would lean towards MFW or WP because they both integrate hands on. I would lean towards MFW because it is lighter in its base schedule, but has a reading list you can use to assign additional reading to the kiddos ready for it.

Heather

I read a lot aloud, including textbooks. And my son is 15. It's a long haul at times (I just finished reading aloud a college level history text in 14 weeks, which was major) but his comprehension is better and I forces me to read along with him (by definition).

His assignments generally require him to reread much of what has been read aloud so it's not like he doesn't read anything.

I read a lot aloud, including textbooks. And my son is 15. It's a long haul at times (I just finished reading aloud a college level history text in 14 weeks, which was major) but his comprehension is better and I forces me to read along with him (by definition).

I was actually wondering about this but I wasn't sure how to phrase the question. I feel like I read so much aloud since I am basically reading every subject, and we are still so early in the game. I guess I need to accept this as part of the territory. It does take longer though, doesn't it? Do you find you have to cut back some because you are doing so much reading aloud or are older students just more efficient?

I'd suggest two strategies. The first would be remediating the dyslexia. Never set aside reading, writing and spelling practice at whatever level your child is working. The more the child practices the better they get. Period. My second suggestion would be to try to make their home environment content rich. By this I mean they should be listening to books read to them (by you or audio versions). They should have access to enrichment programs via your library, museums, park and rec departments, scouts, church, and YMCA. If they have access to tv and computers make sure their spending some of their screen time watching history/science related tv or documentaries (myth buster, history channel) and/or playing games that develop logic or reasoning skills.

All of that content stuff enriches their background knowledge and actually aids in remediating the dyslexia.

So, choose whatever curriulum you feel will aid in providing an overall environment that is condusive to learning for the whole family.

His assignments generally require him to reread much of what has been read aloud so it's not like he doesn't read anything.

My dd13 has been formally diagnosed as "mild to moderate" dyslexia. On standardized tests, she scores at grade level reading, though slow. Since starting 7th grade this year, she really started showing more struggles with reading. Spelling is just horrendous (definitely teaching how to use spell check.):D

One of the absolute best things we have done this year is to take advantage of "Learning Ally" (formerly known as Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic.) She qualifies for these because she has a formal dx and the recommendation of the tester. Her science texts (Prentice Hall Science Explorer) and her Lightning Lit books (currently "Tom Sawyer"- which is a bear because of the dialect and different spellings of regular words) are all read, unabridged on downloads. She is able to listen to the reading on her I-touch and read along with the book at the same time. I just did not have the time to do this with her, though we discuss it every day. I would HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone with a dyslexic child in home or public school.

She uses WinterPromise for her history and loves it! She reads the history aloud to me and then reads the supplemental books on her own. The hands-on component is huge for her.

We switched to Teaching Textbooks for math and she is doing much better than MathUSee. She is actually understanding and retaining with TT.

We are just getting into the Barton Reading and Spelling System since every single other program we have used has not worked... at all. She still takes sporadic Brave Writer courses online and a one day a week public school enrichment program where she takes Colorado history, Intro to Shakespeare, Musical Theater, Art and PE. I work closely with each of these teachers regarding her written work.

She is thriving this year due to these changes and I am able to have the time to also work with my ds in 9th.

Good luck with your search. I have come to the conclusion that the individual definition of dyslexia is different with every child. What works for one, may not work at all for another. It just seems to be a continual search for that "perfect fit". In our case, it has been an expensive one, too. Curriculum can be crazy expensive. However, when you do find that fit and you watch your child light up and excell - it is completely worth it.

Are you asking about how they'll learn *content* or how they'll learn *to read*?? For content, by all means create a language-rich environment with read-alouds, etc. Kids with SN almost ALWAYS learn better with hands-on than textbooks, especially when they're young, so it's nuts to think putting them in textbooks will get good results. That just isn't likely. Read Dyslexic Advantage by the Eides and see how these kids' brains are structured and WHY they need context, stories, etc. to learn.

As far as learning to read, I still don't see how you get around a good OG-based method. Did you see Reading Horizons that was mentioned a while back? I haven't used it, but it has been mentioned by a few people. It's OG and appears to be more open and go than SWR, etc.

My dyslexic dd doesn't learn well through textbooks, even if I read them aloud to her. She is very visual, so I find as much material as I can online and in video format.

TT works well for math, Brainpop videos for content subjects, Backyard Scientist videos, etc.

I plan to use something like Pacemaker texts as she gets older, which contain middle and highschool level content written at a 2nd to 4th grade reading level.

Shari, just totally as an aside, have you seen Anki? I missed the boat on this one, as it had been discussed quite a bit other places on the boards. Basically it's a little program you can download to organize your memory work and make it happen. I had been thinking how AWESOME that would have been for that early stage with learning phonograms or when you put words onto flashcards for them to practice reading for fluency. I've wondered if it might even make a dent in dd's sieve brain for things like foreign language vocal. Apparently you can run it on a variety of things (computer, phone, iPad, etc.).

With my 3 boys with severe verbal apraxia (6,5,4) My 5 and 4 ye old are always from reading. My 6 yr old is close to getting started. But 1st he has to have another in depth hearing test. His speech teacher doesn't believe he's hearing all the sounds. Also he's showing a lot of signs of dyslexia. So we are going to get that testing done. She is using the Kaufman method with him. My 8 ye old is reading small words and is also doing the Kaufman method. I love the idea of textbooks. Read it do the worksheets and it frees me

Up. But I don't want to hand it to my child and it just be a big struggle and tears. I want practice to be fun. But I also want learning history and science to be enjoyable not dreaded because of the reading. But I do know some people do better with the organization of the textbooks.

Your apraxic children are all so young. At this stage I wouldn't think about using textbooks with them. They will learn so much better with having your read aloud to them, watch various kinds of audio/visuals- DVDs & educational computer apps, and lots of real world experiences including helping mom in the kitchen & with chores, going places with mom, etc.

What are you using for beginning reading? Are you using an Orton-Gillingham approach? If not, I would investigate the different materials that are based on the O-G approach.

The children are young enough that formal schooling in social studies & science can wait. They especially don't need textbooks for those subjects. Concentrate on learning to read, handwriting, early spelling, grammar & mechanics, and math.

How old is your oldest child? What are you using for their schooling? Are they relatively independent or do any of them have special needs?

With my 3 boys with severe verbal apraxia (6,5,4) My 5 and 4 ye old are always from reading. My 6 yr old is close to getting started. But 1st he has to have another in depth hearing test. His speech teacher doesn't believe he's hearing all the sounds. Also he's showing a lot of signs of dyslexia. So we are going to get that testing done. She is using the Kaufman method with him. My 8 ye old is reading small words and is also doing the Kaufman method. I love the idea of textbooks. Read it do the worksheets and it frees me

My ds has had two professional hearing tests and passed both with above average scores, but still in 3rd grade struggles to hear the difference between short vowels. Though he has very little to no problem recalling them for reading.

I had him evaluated by a speech therapist in the area (one of the best I am told), and she said he also doesn't present the typical CAPD symptoms she normally sees. He had no problem performing multi-step directions. Just don't ask him to spell.

Yesterday I asked him to spell beg. First he spelled bag, I had him read it and he realized it was wrong. Then he spelled bog, and I asked him to read it. He couldn't remember the short o sound (panic setting in) so I had him use his Barton tapping to find it. He realized it was wrong and due to frustration (his) I just had him say beg and tap the vowel he found in beg. This time he found the right letter. Now that was the worst of all the words we covered yesterday, but it is what we are dealing with on a daily basis.

It has to be dyslexia. He doesn't have this problem with numbers.

BTW of all my children he is the one that loves workbooks. The girls very much preferred things they did with me. He wants to be independent. For grammar, math and such I have been able to accommodate him. But with spelling/reading I have to be there and work with him...for now.

Heather

It does take longer though, doesn't it? Do you find you have to cut back some because you are doing so much reading aloud or are older students just more efficient?

I suppose all the reading aloud takes longer. But the reading aloud also serves *me* in that I would have to read the material anyway in order to be an effective teacher. I use the time not only to read, but also to discuss the material. I would say it takes about 2 hours per day for history, literature, and science (he does Latin and math in outside classes). I don't read absolutely everything aloud. For example, for literature, I read Frankenstein and a slew of short stories aloud, but he read three other novels on his own.

And he is not a terrible reader. He's just slow.