Menu

Kid's Blocks- Which kind is your favorite?

My five year old son loves building houses and forts with blocks. I'm thinking about getting him a mega set of blocks but I am unsure which kind to buy. I've looked at Citi blocs, but I need some feedback to see if they are a good buy or if I should stick to Melissa and Doug. I also got him a castle block building set of 200 from Jc Penny's that he hasnt seen yet, so maybe I should just stick to that. I believe the brand is Treehaus. Anyone have any suggestions?

Unit blocks. I purchased two sets of M&D blocks years and years ago (the price was only about 40/set when my oldest was a toddler, about 7 years ago). They have gotten a ton of play. I was able to use a Michaels or AC Moore coupon to get them for 40% off.

Now they are more expensive, so you'd have to weigh that into the equation. Guidecraft and Barclay make nice hardwood blocks but they will be more $$.

As an alternative building system, we really like our Magnatiles but they are having inventory problems due to an issue at their factory.

We have a giant set of wooden unit blocks and a 1000 piece Citibloc bin (plus they're receiving the blue/green and pink/orange colored sets for Christmas, which will bring them up to 1400 total Citiblocs). They're wonderful for different reasons. If I had to pick one, I would pick the unit blocks and I second the recommendation of Barclay. The castle blocks you bought look really cool but the building/imagination possibilities seem restricted compared to plain unit blocks or Citiblocs. With unit blocks, you can build anything and then play within that with other accessories (farm, garage, castle, etc.) and then knock it down and build something else. Same with Citiblocs except that there is lots of potential to build detailed structures but less playability once something is built.

Ok. I admit we have a wooden block obsession here. We probably have an entire preschools worth of blocks.

I started collecting when my DS turned 1 and they still get played with every single day and probably will for years. They are a great investment. I think the most important thing is that you have a large collection all on the same scale. We have mostly HABA and the thing I like about HABA is the really high quality and the tons of specialty pieces you can buy. Last year we got the HABA basic marble run to go with the blocks and its so cool that DS can build something like a castle and then integrate a marble run into it.

However, HABA's blocks are on a 4cm scale which is different than standard unit blocks so if you already have Melissa and Doug unit blocks then I would just stick with that and get more. If you want something different, M&D has a neat architectural unit block set which is interesting and sometimes goes on sale on Amazon. Barclay blocks are beautiful but pricey, but the nice thing is that you order some tons of specialty pieces from them.

Just a suggestion but we store our main wooden blocks in open shelves sorted by type/size. It sounds like a pain but I think it leads to higher quality building since he can find the exact piece he needs without dumping or searching. Also, less mess because he isn't dumping out whole baskets to get what he wants. Cleanup actually goes pretty quick. We store specialty pieces and non-standard blocks in baskets above the shelves.

In addition to HABA and some standard unit blocks we have a large collection of Citiblocs. We play with them but I think they will be more interesting for my son when he's older.We also have this cool handmade castle block set from The Village Block Smith. I keep these put away and just bring them out occasionally for variety. Again I think its something he'll be able to appreciate more in a year or two.

We also have a basket's worth of small random blocks and accessories that I find at thrift stores or that people give us as gifts. Even though not on the same scale as our main collection they are nice for adding architectural features to buildings.

Some great suggestions here...but I have a question.

Are unit blocks all the same size?

It sounds like I need to take back my Treehaus blocks and maybe invest in some that are all the same size. I also have a set I got from Sams recently, the Melissa and Doug ones. There are 40 there, I believe, and they are all different sizes. I am trying to decide if I really want all these different types lying around the house, or to have several hundred of all the same kind. Sounds like either way is ok, as long as there's blocks everywhere! I'm on a tight budget too, so let me know what you think is the best block for the $ too. Maybe I could set aside the castle blocks for special times that he wants to do that(especially since we are studying the Middle Ages this year) and then still invest in the major block set.

Ok. I admit we have a wooden block obsession here. We probably have an entire preschools worth of blocks.

I started collecting when my DS turned 1 and they still get played with every single day and probably will for years. They are a great investment. I think the most important thing is that you have a large collection all on the same scale. We have mostly HABA and the thing I like about HABA is the really high quality and the tons of specialty pieces you can buy. Last year we got the HABA basic marble run to go with the blocks and its so cool that DS can build something like a castle and then integrate a marble run into it.

However, HABA's blocks are on a 4cm scale which is different than standard unit blocks so if you already have Melissa and Doug unit blocks then I would just stick with that and get more. If you want something different, M&D has a neat architectural unit block set which is interesting and sometimes goes on sale on Amazon. Barclay blocks are beautiful but pricey, but the nice thing is that you order some tons of specialty pieces from them.

Just a suggestion but we store our main wooden blocks in open shelves sorted by type/size. It sounds like a pain but I think it leads to higher quality building since he can find the exact piece he needs without dumping or searching. Also, less mess because he isn't dumping out whole baskets to get what he wants. Cleanup actually goes pretty quick. We store specialty pieces and non-standard blocks in baskets above the shelves.

In addition to HABA and some standard unit blocks we have a large collection of Citiblocs. We play with them but I think they will be more interesting for my son when he's older.We also have this cool handmade castle block set from The Village Block Smith. I keep these put away and just bring them out occasionally for variety. Again I think its something he'll be able to appreciate more in a year or two.

We also have a basket's worth of small random blocks and accessories that I find at thrift stores or that people give us as gifts. Even though not on the same scale as our main collection they are nice for adding architectural features to buildings.

Wow, these blocks from the Village Block Smith are awesome! Expensive, but cool:)

Some great suggestions here...but I have a question.

Are unit blocks all the same size?

It sounds like I need to take back my Treehaus blocks and maybe invest in some that are all the same size. I also have a set I got from Sams recently, the Melissa and Doug ones. There are 40 there, I believe, and they are all different sizes. I am trying to decide if I really want all these different types lying around the house, or to have several hundred of all the same kind. Sounds like either way is ok, as long as there's blocks everywhere! I'm on a tight budget too, so let me know what you think is the best block for the $ too. Maybe I could set aside the castle blocks for special times that he wants to do that(especially since we are studying the Middle Ages this year) and then still invest in the major block set.

Unit blocks are made to the same scale. They are not all identical. Read here to find out more about unit blocks and their benefits.

I personally would return the Treehaus (as pretty as they are!) and invest in a unit block set. Again, they're not the same size. There is quite a variety of pieces, resulting in some truly spectacular construction and mathematical learning. Check out Barclay's Open Stock page to see what I mean. I bought a big set and then have added on a few booster sets and individual pieces through the years. Here are his medium-sized beginner kits. A good start! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where you live and what your toy store options are locally. They are not commonly found in any brick and mortar store I've ever been to. You definitely can't find them at our ToysRUs here. You used to be able to buy the Melissa and Doug ones, which are fine (but I think they might be rubberwood and maple is best). Barclay ships quickly and could probably get them to you by Christmas. If you call him, he will answer the phone...as the actual human that cuts and sands and ships the blocks. :D That's what I would do if I were in your shoes. But you better hurry! :tongue_smilie:

• 1 year later...
Guest alexander galvin

Rubberwood blocks are not filled with anything.  They are made from solid rubberwood derived from exhausted rubber trees found in Vietnam, Brazil, and parts of Africa.  In order to fend off insects, the harvested logs are typically soaked in Borates, an type of insecticide that is harmless to humans (boric acid, 20 Mule Team Borax, etc.).  If so, they are still safe though there are few rules in these countries to control what insecticides are being used.  Lest you think we’re biased in their favor  â€“ we loathe rubberwood blocks – but the blocks are not hollow, or filled with anything.

The real division is between Rubberwood blocks and American made hard maple blocks – the latter costing about twice as much.  Rubberwood blocks are fine and kids like them – they’re just crudely made, softer, and more splintery.  They are cheaper. 

Hard Maple is the stuff of bowling alleys, countertops, and fine furniture.  They last forever, but like fine cookware or fine tools, you have to pay. 

Unit blocks come in a variety of scales, but American School Sized blocks are made to an 1.375 inch metric and all of the measurements are a multiple of that number:  11/16, 1-3/8, 2-3/4, 5-1/2, 11, and 22 inches.  This standard is followed by all school supply companies and is about 75 years old.  Smaller blocks do not work well, particularly on carpet.  The most common standard block is about the proportions  of a dollar bill and it is 1-3/8 by 2-3/4 by 5-1/2 inches.

--Sandy Galvin

I'm not sure exactly what brands you're looking for, but I saw a big set of wooden blocks at Sam's Club yesterday.  Most likely, they're starting to get Christmas stuff in.  Can't remember which brand...may have been Melissa & Doug. If cost is an issue, might be worth checking out.

Also, check out Etsy.  There are lots of craftsmen and women who do wonderful things.