Menu

the beginning of acne on my dd11

my daughter has just started having some minor break-outs on her face..on her cheek by her nose and on her chin. What should I be having her do as far as a daily/nightly routine...what should I get for her to put on her face. I really don't know anything...I never had acne problems as a kid and I never did anything to my face, ever...so I know NOTHING!!! thanks.

Gentle cleansing, morning and night. This is how my friend's took care of her skin:

She used a liquid antibacterial face wash twice a day (you can back it down to once a day, if it dries out her skin too much, and use a regular face cleanser the second time).

She followed each washing with applying an astringent toner (Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner is one good one), applied with either cotton balls or cotton pads.

She then applied 10% benzoyl peroxide acne medication (Johnson & Johnson's Clean & Clear Maximum Strength Persa-Gel 10 is the brand that's worked well for us) twice a day.

That combination worked *wonders* on her skin, when nothing else worked. Neither salycylic acid nor witch hazel did anything at all to clear up the acne. We couldn't afford ProActiv, so I looked at the ingredients in each of their products, and simply found OTC products that had those same ingredients, and set up my own system. My dd had *terrible* acne, and using those three products faithfully *completely* cleared it up.

Also, if your dd drinks milk, you might consider eliminating that from her diet, because dairy can cause acne.

Emphasize preventative maintenance. Daily gentle cleanser, non-comodegenic lotion (label must say this), sacylic acid every night and morning over the whole face, and benzoyl peroxide for spot treatment. All these items are available OTC at the drug store. Don't spend money on the expensive stuff unless you've talked to a trusted dermatologist.

My dh uses the cleanser, toner and benzoyl peroxide routine. He has always had bad acne since he was a teen and has found this routine to help greatly.

I can confirm the bleaching effect of the benzoyl peroxide. It has discolored my towels and somehow ended up discoloring some areas on our shirts. I think a towel with the peroxide was next to or washed with the other laundry. Not happy about that. Make sure you use a white towel and keep it separate from other clothing.

Teach her to become aware of how often she touches her face. Bacteria factory!

Mine is just starting to get some zits, too--just a couple tiny ones. She washes her face in the shower, using a gentle acne cleanser. She only uses it a few times a week or it dries out her skin. Then at night, she'll dab on a little BP cream before she goes to bed, if she has an eruption. I don't even use soap on my face, so I'm trying to teach her not to disrupt the acid mantle on her face too much.

Emphasize preventative maintenance. Daily gentle cleanser, non-comodegenic lotion (label must say this), sacylic acid every night and morning over the whole face, and benzoyl peroxide for spot treatment. All these items are available OTC at the drug store. Don't spend money on the expensive stuff unless you've talked to a trusted dermatologist.

Salicylic acid can be very harsh on some skin types. It was always fine on me but on oldest dd it's very harsh and she peels easily and gets inflamed.