Menu

Need a DIY idea for my BIL

This Christmas dh's siblings and spouses drew names and are supposed to make a gift for the person we drew.

Of course I drew someone for whom I have NO ideas!

Dh got his brother and I went and found DIY bookends that we're doing for him and I have a ton of ideas that would be great for my SILs.

But I got my BIL and I have no clue what to do. I knit so I'm sure that everyone is just expecting me to knit him a hat or something but I don't want to do that. Partially because that's what they expect :tongue_smilie: and partially because I have other knitting projects for my family that are keeping me plenty busy!

Any ideas from The Hive?? This BIL is into reptiles (as in, he keeps a dozen or more snakes in his house, plus turtles, lizards, etc) and gardening - particularly unique things like bonsai trees. Oh, and gaming - he plays computer games. He and dh's sister have a small hobby farm that so far just has chickens and the just had their first baby. He doesn't read or cook or have any other hobbies that I can think of.

I'm all ears for any ideas!! Hours on Pinterest and I'm still empty handed.

:bigear:

Hmm. That's a toughie.

Could you maybe make something for one of his reptile enclosures? Find a safe material, and carve and smooth it into a snake hidey-hole sort of thing?

Or, if he's REALLY into his pets (and I know people who are, lol) could you make a scrapbook of all his scaly little friends for him?

Or, if you do anything with clay, you could make him a pot or a set of pots for new bonsai trees.

Hmm. That's a toughie.

Could you maybe make something for one of his reptile enclosures? Find a safe material, and carve and smooth it into a snake hidey-hole sort of thing?

Or, if he's REALLY into his pets (and I know people who are, lol) could you make a scrapbook of all his scaly little friends for him?

Or, if you do anything with clay, you could make him a pot or a set of pots for new bonsai trees.

I hadn't thought of something for the snakes...I don't know anything about them!

I like the clay pot idea...

Does assembling count as making? Could you make him an emergency kit for his car? Like with a lighter, granola bars, bottled water, flashlight, tarp etc?

Good question...I'm sure assembling would count. Not a bad idea especially since he does drive in 20+ min to work on country roads.

homemade reptile food? :tongue_smilie: It would definitely be different and unexpected!!! :lol:

homemade snake cage?

I Googled those and found a few ideas...

Anne

I think he feeds his snakes rats that he breeds!

Snake cage could be interesting!!

Do they have a fireplace/wood burning stove? I think someone recently posted a make-it-yourself wood carrier thingy. (like a sling with handles)

Something like this (but this isn't the exact one I remember seeing):

http://sewing.about.com/od/homedecprojects/ss/Simple-To-Sew-Log-Firewood-Carrier.htm

This is my favourite idea so far!! They do have a wood burning fireplace in their family room. I love this! But I don't sew....Hmmm....