Menu

iPad Users -- Anyone use SoundLiteracy for phonics letter tiles?

threeturn

We are getting an iPad for Christmas, and I have been looking for an app that will replace the sticky notes we use for phonograms in The Wand (similar to AAS tiles). The only thing that I have found is called SoundLiteracy.

Looking at the demo video, it seems like it would be great, but it is very pricey for an iPad app ($25). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

Of course when I think about it, it is not more expensive than AAS tiles and the big magnetic white board, it is portable, and my 2yo can't eat it. Over the course of three kids learning to read it will probably work out cheaper than all of the 1" post-its too. I just want to make sure it will do what I need and works well before buying. Anyone? :D

Thanks,

Pam

Edited by threeturn
spelling! Doh!

I use AAS and I love this idea. I'm *horrible* at losing letter tiles. There's nothing more frustrating than crawling around looking for a missing letter tile when I've finally managed to get a boy to the table.

However, I'm not impressed by the price tag. Seriously. There are really amazing apps out there for way less. I don't get it. Maybe I'm missing some kind of miraculous function?

This looks REALLY good. We use AAS and I'd love to just be able to grab my iPad and do it.

I'm really surprised it doesn't include the sounds for the price though - programatically that isn't hard to do. Glad they are working on an update to add that.

Might have to buy it, thanks for pointing it out :).

Amber - Can't wait to hear more about how it works. I do not know about the backwards e.

I agree that the price is probably my only hangup over the program based on what I have seen. I did find a couple more similar options, but nothing nearly as good for what we are trying to do.

There is Simplex Spelling which has a phonics and sight word version (these you spell phonetically - the words are just from the Dolch list). This one is self checking and while you add the letters individually, if you click on HINT it gives you the possible phonogram combinations. At only $.99 for the universal app it is still a good way to practice words using the rules you have been learning.

I also found Word Wizard which is a moveable alphabet. It does not have the phonograms, but the developer seems to be open to feedback and possibly adding them (I emailed). It does have the vocal aspect with letter names and phonetic sounds and you can add your own spelling lists.

Since I am tight on budget due to the holidays we are going to work with these two for now and possibly get the other later. I sure wish I could find out if it ever goes on sale. :tongue_smilie:

Now I wonder if there is a cuisenaire rod app? I really need to learn how to develop these things (in my spare time of course ;)).

Well i downloaded it and just did a mini lesson with DS and he loved it and it was SO easy to work with. Just one question, what sound does the backwards 'e' represent?

An upside down e shows a schwa sound, which is generally a short u sound, but is often closer to a schei of short i when the vowel changing is an e.

An upside down e shows a schwa sound, which is generally a short u sound, but is often closer to a schei of short i when the vowel changing is an e.

Hoping you will come back to this. I'm still a little lost. Here are the ones i am stuck on. Perhaps you can give me a word where i can hear the sound. These all have the backwards e.

el

e

er

and there is also

zh

which they are showing in the same colour as the schwa tiles but i can't think of a word that has that consonant team.

Thanks ElizabethB you rock at words!

Hoping you will come back to this. I'm still a little lost. Here are the ones i am stuck on. Perhaps you can give me a word where i can hear the sound. These all have the backwards e.

el

e

er

and there is also

zh

which they are showing in the same colour as the schwa tiles but i can't think of a word that has that consonant team.

Thanks ElizabethB you rock at words!

You're welcome!

I cannot be totally sure without seeing the set up, but words where el and er have a somewhat schwa'd sound are camel, bevel, remember, worker. A scwha'd e is in taken or mitten; e schwi's to short i in decision if you are saying the word fast.

The zh sound is not represented by a single letter in English, that may be why it has the same color as the schwa, which can also come from several different vowels. But, the zh sound is not like schwa, it is like f/v or d/t. It is the paired sound of sh. It is the sound made in garage, vision, azure, it comes from French words usually.

The schwa mark is usually an upside down e, not a backwards e.

Edited by ElizabethB

Oooh just downloaded Digicubes! Awesome!

I have a number of "movable alphabet" apps that range from free to cheap, some of which were already named, but none include phonograms.

Preschool University publishes a number of awesome free reading and spelling apps with phonetic tiles, although for now they just have the letters and double letters, no phonograms or combinations yet. (This is because the apps progress in difficulty and the next two apps, which will have silent e words and basic phonograms, have not yet been released. I am eagerly awaiting them, as my son loves the other apps.)

Oooh also - did you realize that with Digicubes you can take photos and create "Cuisenaire worksheets?" Simply create the number sentences, etc you want your child to build with real-life blocks and take a picture of it. (There is a built-in camera, but you could also use the screenshot feature.) It shows up in your photos section, and you could print it or display it for your child to build.

Pam, Simplex actually has a new spelling app out that is phonetically organized! I reviewed it and have a giveaway going on right now actually! Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 - it's even better than the first, but goes in a slightly different order than AAS (and it doesn't teach consonants, focuses on vowels).

http://appsforhomeschooling.com/2011/simplex-phonics-1-giveaway/

It's normally $4.99 but it's on sale for $0.99!

Thanks Jennifer. I picked that one up the other day after seeing it on your site. I think it will be great for practicing our spelling.

Your site has been fantastic for app recommendations. I have about 50 on my wish list right now! :D

I did get Sound Literacy during the $14 sale yesterday too. Can't wait for the kids to open the iPad next week. We may be schooling over Christmas.

The developers are homeschoolers too BTW. And they do have plans for 2 :).

I'd love to see that, when it comes out. For now, I'm just excited to get such an awesome app with a nice depth for level 1. Most of the other apps and programs I love are all in development, and the levels that are already out are stuff my son has already mastered. This, at least, has some challenges. :)

Those of you who have Sound Literacy - the app developers state in the description that it doesn't have sounds yet, but they are working on it. To me, this would b the major advantage over using our homemade Montessori-style (blue, red, and green) phonogram tiles. That, and they don't get lost under the couch! I hope they build in this feature soon.

It's still on sale for $14.99, but to me even that seems like a lot. I'm not sure if I should go for it. :( I wish app developers would understand that if they have a lower price, they'll get that many more purchasers. To me $14.99 seems incredibly off-putting.

I do so love that you can change the colors of the tiles. I wish Simplex had that in its options so I could set them to look like our physical tiles.

Heh. They often do eloquacious, but I buy a lot of apps too. I don't like spending the time hunting down a contact, asking them for a code etc. etc. maybe never hearing back from them - it takes a lot of time. I end up reviewing a lot of the apps I buy if I like them!

I haven't taken a look at it yet to determine value (I really hope they audio-enable it soon, I'm buying it with that hope), but here is some general rambling.

Would I hesitate to buy a set of physical tiles for $15? Probably not. I think that the app marketplace tends to really devalue very valuable products due to consumer demand for cheap apps. Just because it is digital doesn't mean it's not worth spending money on - it takes just as long to develop programmed products and often includes other resources/money to make them (audio talent, graphics etc.). It just seems people aren't willing to pay a lot for apps because app=cheap to many. But if educational apps are to really stick around and succeed I think prices are going to keep going up over the next couple of years in order to make a long-term sustainable industry. Sorry rant over.

I'm not implying that anyone here is thinking this way - those are just some general thoughts about the app industry in general. More than anyone wanted to hear likely!! ;P

It is worth a lot to me just so I don't have to pull our huge whiteboard down and hope my three small children don't decimate it while I try to teach spelling to my oldest!!! (5, 3, 1 - they can be mischief makers!)