Menu

Really need help!! Need gluten & dairy free candies recs

They've already been mentioned but we do Yummy Earth and the Enjoy Life chocolate chips primarily. However, we've got other allergies and food issues that knock out a lot. I'd suggest you call companies of readily available candies if those are the only two things you're avoiding. My guess is most hard, gummy, etc. (non chocolate) candies and gums are likely gluten and casein free.

My guess is most hard, gummy, etc. (non chocolate) candies and gums are likely gluten and casein free.

I generally follow this rule (for gluten, not dairy) but was shocked to find that the Goetzke caramels (the ones with the powdered sugar center?) have wheat flour in them (like the second ingredient!). I can't figure out where it is. Insane.

My kids really like the Yummy Earth vitamin C lollipops. I'm pretty happy that they're organic and pack in the C while the kids are licking on a lolly. ;)

I generally follow this rule (for gluten, not dairy) but was shocked to find that the Goetzke caramels (the ones with the powdered sugar center?) have wheat flour in them (like the second ingredient!). I can't figure out where it is. Insane

Most likely it's the caramel. However here is something to remember - caramel, dextrose and glucose syrup made from wheat is gluten free. The distilling process destroys all traces of gluten making them - 'no gluten detected".

Is it possible to eat dark chocolate?

Most chocolate is gluten free and dark chocolate is non-dairy.

Lindt chocolate bars that are 70% or darker are dairy/gluten free. 85% and darker are also soy-free.

Like others have said, most gummies and hard candies are fine, though you have to still read labels (Werther's, for example, contain dairy).

My personal favorite: take shredded coconut, and whizz in a food processor or blender for several minutes until it forms a paste (you'll probably have to stop the food processor a few times to push it down the sides). Add flavors and sweeteners as desired (cocoa powder to make chocolate), or just leave as-is if you're ok with just the natural sweetness. Roll into balls or press flat to make a bar (or whatever else you want to do to shape it), then stick in the fridge for a while to harden (preferably at least 20 minutes or so). You can also dip them in chocolate or any number of other variations. I've also done this with coconut oil mixed with cocoa powder and sweetener (approx. a 1:1 ratio of coconut oil and cocoa powder), but I like the coconut better.

Around Halloween there are lists of GF candy and GFCF candy published all over the net. I use those as basic reference for off the shelf candies, not "natural" but if you're going for sugar...:

http://surefoodsliving.com/2011/10/halloween-candy-list-gluten-free-allergen-free-2011/

http://www.gfcfdiet.com/Chocolatecandy.htm

As far as recipes, you might try tacking the word "vegan" onto searches for recipes on the web and then you should get dairy free options. That's what I do for myself since I have to be gluten-free and I have a casein allergy (just hives so I cheat on rare occasion.) e.g. http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/sweetsaucesfrostings/r/vegancaramel.htm

How about gluten-free Rice Krispie bars?