Menu

fashion design???

Sewing

clothing design

Art (studio, 2D, 3D)

Learning about textiles

Work experience (work at tailor shop learning to do alterations; work at a sewing shop)

4H

Maybe some small business administration courses

I think Rod & Staff has some curriculum that addresses some of these areas, but I'm not sure.

These are courses from our county's high school course list that might be helpful:

APPAREL DEVELOPMENT I 1 credit

This course examines clothing production in the areas of preparation for clothing construction, basic clothing construction techniques, consumer decisions, textiles, historical perspectives and design, and career opportunities. Emphasis is placed on applying construction and design skills to apparel and home fashions.

APPAREL DEVELOPMENT II* 1 credit Prerequisite(s): Apparel or Housing and Interiors I

Recommended for grades 10-12

The focus of this course is on advanced clothing and housing apparel development. The use of fibers and fabrics is combined with design and construction techniques to develop and produce a product. A real or simulated business apparel enterprise allows students to apply instructional strategies and workplace readiness skills to an authentic experience.

CLOTHING CONSTRUCTION AND DESIGN 1 credit Prerequisite(s): Apparel Development I

Recommended for grades 10-12

The focus of this course is advanced clothing principles involved in construction. Students express themselves through the use of clothing and accessories and skills in advanced construction and fitting techniques.

Dd is interested in fashion/costume design. Any ideas as to what I should include in her high school studies?

Thanks

Sewing, obviously. Figure drawing. Various fibers, their qualities (strength, drape, thermal properties, etc.). Plenty of opportunities to wear and examine clothes of a wide range of qualities and vintages. History of fashion. Sketching at museums which feature fashion exhibits. Eco fabrics. Sewing with stretch fabrics, e.g. bathing suits, dancewear, skating costumes. Looking at the construction of boned bodices and corsets. Reading specialty sewing catalogs and magazines. Interviewing experienced sewists in the neighborhood.

Chemistry, math, art.

Most of these ideas have already been mentioned, but I figured I'd put my two cents in --

1) Art -- good drawing skills are essential

2) Sewing -- make lots of different kinds of clothing. Use different kinds of fabric. Take spcialty sewing classes from any local sewing store. Get familiar with all the different sewing skills and approaches that you can.

3) Community theater groups needs lots of help with costuming. Your dd should call and see who does it for a particular group and then check to see how she can help. (Warning -- costuming can be a major time sink. I'd pursue other avenues first.....)

4) Work in a clothing store. I'm serious -- familiarity with clothing, setting it up for display, etc., will be useful.

5) Have dd check with a historical museum in the area and see if it has a costume shop that she can volunteer for. Costume shops usually have far too much work and too little money, so in our experience skilled volunteers are always welcome.

6) Geometry. Good algebra and geometry skills are absolutely essential.

7) Check out the colleges that have good fashion design schools and see what courses they offer and if they have any recommendations for applicants. (I'd look at SCAD, RISD, and VCU, but there must be lots of others.....)

Thanks so much for the responses. My daughter is actually a dancer and her interest is mostly in dance costume design (ballet, jazz, tap). She spends 3 days a week at dance now, and next year it will probably be more like 4 days, so I'm trying to find ways to teach her that won't take up huge amounts of scheduled time like volunteering at a theatre.

Does anyone have recommendations as far as good books or dvds on sewing?

:bigear:

Ask your dance studio to give you the costume catalogs they will be discarding when this season is over. It can be very useful to go through the catalogs to see a wide range of dance costume designs. Ask yourself - how does this design work for the market? In what ways has the design kept the price reasonable? What kinds of dance could this costume be used for? How does this design meet the needs of the studio? The dancer? The dancer's parent? The audience?

Try creating a simple design. Spandex House and Spandex World are two stores in NYC that do mail-order of costume fabrics. Dharma Trading carries "blank" white dance wear that can be dyed or painted or otherwise decorated.

Try creating a costume from thrifted pieces. What can you find to use? What turns an ordinary piece of clothing into a costume suitable for the stage?

Try sketching designs for the cast of Nutcracker or another ballet with which you are familiar. Remember the people who wear the costumes must be able to dance. How will you convey "mouse" or "Arabian"? How can you match the costume to the choereographer's vision for the scene? How can you make many costumes (say, lots of angels) inexpensively? Choose sample fabrics for your collection. Work out a budget for the collection. How much would you charge to produce it? Sew a few samples. How would your collection differ for a professional company with a larger budget vs. a local dance school with a smaller budget vs. a community production with a still smaller budget?

Art History. Knowing the aesthetics of different eras should help. Project Runway reruns!!! Tim Gunn will inspire her!

My niece's very good friend was on Project Runway, and made it to #2. She has since launched her own line and is designing away in NYC, with celebrities such as Kim Kardashian wearing her designs.

For the OP, I'm not sure what she did in high school - I know after high school she went to a designer school in Cincinnati. I can email her & ask her about high school if you like.

I've not read all the responses but I wanted to add that my dd11 who also has high interest in fashion/costume design. One thing I've been thinking to help her with her interest is to call up the fashion design school and ask if they'd be willing to have her sit in on a semester's worth of classes. We live in NJ but we'd travel to NYC's Fashion Institute of Technology. I know that FIT does offer summer intensives to high school students. Maybe there's a school close enough that your daughter can go to?

I've not read all the responses but I wanted to add that my dd11 who also has high interest in fashion/costume design. One thing I've been thinking to help her with her interest is to call up the fashion design school and ask if they'd be willing to have her sit in on a semester's worth of classes. We live in NJ but we'd travel to NYC's Fashion Institute of Technology. I know that FIT does offer summer intensives to high school students. Maybe there's a school close enough that your daughter can go to?

I don't know of a school worthwhile that would be close. We live in South Carolina and the only school in the state is The Art Institute in Charleston. I've found middle school and/or high school programs in both California and New York, but that's a bit of a treck for us:001_smile:

If anyone knows of somewhere close please let me know. Thanks.

My niece's very good friend was on Project Runway, and made it to #2. She has since launched her own line and is designing away in NYC, with celebrities such as Kim Kardashian wearing her designs.

For the OP, I'm not sure what she did in high school - I know after high school she went to a designer school in Cincinnati. I can email her & ask her about high school if you like.

If you wouldn't mind asking her what her "must have" resources would be, I'd love to hear that too.

A quick answer - she spent lots of time sewing and creating outfits/dresses/etc. She also drew many designs and made up a portfolio of drawings to show the design school she went to after high school.

I'll try and get a more specific answer over Christmas. Hope that helps a little!

Thanks! I so appreciate everyone's input.

Dd has convinced grandparents that a dress form is really what she wants for Christmas:001_smile: Here we go!

Have you checked with 4H? They most likely know some places they can direct you towards. Also, check with art museums, especially contemporary art museums. Ask for the high school/teen liaison (many museums have these). Again, they may be able to give you some ideas.

Have you called the school you mentioned and asked how to prepare her? That would probably be your best bet.

A quick answer - she spent lots of time sewing and creating outfits/dresses/etc. She also drew many designs and made up a portfolio of drawings to show the design school she went to after high school.

I'll try and get a more specific answer over Christmas. Hope that helps a little!

Thanks again. Yes, every single tip helps immensely. This thread is wonderful. :)