Menu

Need xmas ideas for 10 and 7yo boys

My kids are asking for things I'm not going to get them (electric scooter, tons of video games, remote control helium shark, etc.), so I'm looking for some other ideas. 10yo is very high energy, into being "cool," likes music, action, physical activities. 7yo is more creative, likes to build and craft. They're both video game obsessed but we try to keep it mellow around here.

Here are some ideas we are kicking around so far:

10yo:

small, inexpensive mp3 player

leather/simulated leather jacket - if I can find it, no luck all year

lego architecture series set - expensive, maybe grandma will buy it

7yo:

all he wants are lego sets, but we are swimming in legos, so he will only get one or two sets

kid sized tool set from Hearthsong

craft kits of some sort

build/design your own skateboard

They'll get some joint presents - 1 new video game for the PS3, a cute bow and arrow set from Etsy, maybe a zipline for the backyard?

I'm kind of out of ideas. I don't want to get a bunch of junk that they ask for when they see it in the catalogs, but they are disappointed when I try to go too highbrow, you know?

So, any great suggestions? If anyone can recommend a really great remote control vehicle - car, airplane, helicopter, all terrain, whatever - I would appreciate that. We have gone through so many that have all been disappointing. Money is a bit tight this year so we're trying to be very careful with our purchases. I haven't bought a single thing yet, so we need to get moving on this.

My 11 yo is getting:

Pokemon cards

a lego set or two

a small hero factory (bionicle)

Beyblade tops

Ninjago figures

a book

and an ipod Shuffle (around $45)

Ds8 is getting:

a lego set or two

a small hero factory

ninja imaginext dudes

Pokemon cards

a book

and a live snake :001_smile:

Together they will be getting a wii game and Apples to Apples.

From family we have asked for movie tickets, sonic gift cards, wii remotes and DS games.

HTH

My 10 and 8 year olds are getting a bamboo tablet for the computer to share, and then we're getting tools and a book of woodworking projects for them plus the 6 year old.

10 year old also asked for Perplexus, an Uno robot game, assorted books, and the last Harry Potter movie.

8 year old is getting a Lego master builder kit, the Thames and Kosmos electric generator kit that was on Woot the other day, books, and a gadget that makes guitar picks out of old credit cards.

My 7 and 8 (almost 9) year old are both getting Beyblades and a Beyblade stadium because they don't have any and all the boys in their chess club have them.

Other than that-

7 yr. old:

2 Schleich knights (even though he has at least 30 knights, he wants these two)

large multi-pack of Star Wars guys

2 DS games

a Magic Science for Wizards kit

books

pajamas

toy hammock for all his stuffed animals

8 yr. old:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii game

Chemistry set

single Star Wars guy

Extra Beyblade launcher

Harry Potter chess set

books

pajamas

I have a ten year old boy who has also asked for things we just aren't getting :) We were at Toys R Us and I just let DH shop for him. He picked up some really cool sets call Erector sets. They look super neat. He wanted something that gave DS a project to accomplish with his hands.

Here is an example set, but DH found the neatest looking plane Toys R Us

http://www.amazon.com/Erector-Model-Set-116-Pieces/dp/B0039SVES2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1323009091&sr=8-5

When we were at Walmart last night we discovered that a company called Red Toolbox has just released a set of kid-sized tools and about 7 different wooden kits to put together. We saw them last night and thought they looked like fun! I saw a birdhouse, mini pool table, mini air hockey table, catapult, tool box, and a few more. They were $8-$25.