Menu

Lego WeDo Educational Product

So what is the difference between the WeDo set and the new Simple Machine set? Can anybody recommend one over the other? They are pretty much the same price point and we are trying to decide for Christmas. :001_smile:

WeDo is a robotics set....simple machines is a set to learn, through building, the various simple machines (levers, pulleys, etc.)

ETA: I've used the simple machines set when teaching physics - they're great. I've also taught with both the WeDo and Mindstorms Robotics kits, they're also both great, but totally different than the simple machines.

If I'm reading it right, to get the benefit of programming the robotics set you need the software which is an additional $90, right? If true, that may be a deal breaker for now. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, they're sold separately - the set at full retail is $129, the software and resource book at full retail are $89. Check on eBay though, sometimes you can pick up both for around $100-$150 if someone's child is done with the WeDo and moved onto the MindStorms.

Yes, they're sold separately - the set at full retail is $129, the software and resource book at full retail are $89. Check on eBay though, sometimes you can pick up both for around $100-$150 if someone's child is done with the WeDo and moved onto the MindStorms.

OP here...so it will be $129 + $89?

This is the full set, sold as a bundle for $189. If it is a hit, you can add on later and get the extension packs and resource sets. :)

I was looking for that link - glad someone found it!

To the OP - the best price for bundle is above (full retail bundle) - occasionally Lego will have it on sale directly, or via a coupon code - not often though. Sometimes too it helps to look on the Lego Education site's sale/clearance section - that's where I found our Simple Machines heavily discounted, but it wasn't the bundle, it was each separate one and when I added it all up, it was less than the bundle. (ETA: note, I am not in any way affiliated with this - Lego has 3% cash back too if you go through Fat Wallet)

Edited by Tigger