Menu

Movie suggestions for a 4.5-year old?

So, we don't do much tv at all. We keep one tv in the house, in our bedroom, and our son watches bits of NatGeo Wild nature stuff or Mythbusters here and there, but nothing else. Earlier this year my mother took him to see his first real movie, and while he's not obsessed with the idea, he did enjoy it and I thought maybe as a stocking stuffer I'd get him a DVD of an age-appropriate movie. I think it would be nice as an ocassional treat to be able to kick back in bed with mom and dad and watch a movie.

The problem is, I watch less tv than my son and husand do (read: zilch!) and never watch movies (with the exception of the LOTR trilogy and all of the Harry Potter films). So I have absolutely no clue what's even out there, much less what would be appropriate or acceptable to us. :001_huh: My main problem with the snippets of things I have seen is, even if the intended audience is a young child, there's lots of stuff I really don't want my son watching. Things like characters with really bad attitudes being rude and completely disrespectful (and they're made out to be the "cool" ones). My MIL let DS watch some short movie/program in which the main character was teased for her name...the end result being the main character overcame this by making fun of and demeaning the children making fun of her. :confused: No one learned any lesson, the character just learned how to be mean, too. I recently saw a preview for some new penguin movie (Happy Feet?), and one of the scenes shows a little penguin walking up to some other animal, getting in its face, and announcing that he's going to slap his face off or something similar. Now maybe the little penguin had a legit reason for slapping someone in the face, but my son is 4.5. That's way too literal of an age for stuff like that, at least with my kiddo. The only thing he's gonna remember is "cool! I'll slap your face!"

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything? I just don't want him walking away from a movie having only picked up something negative or a new way to be disrespectful.

Thanks! :001_smile:

DD loves these books on a DVD sets from Scholastic. http://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-Storybook-Treasures-Treasury-Classics/dp/B003X2P9BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322878217&sr=8-1We bought them at Sams. She also watches the Cedermont kids Christian music dvds. Full length films wise-we love the little einsteins big movie. http://www.amazon.com/Disneys-Little-Einsteins-Huge-Adventure/dp/B0007Z9R0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322878255&sr=8-1

My girls have enjoyed

Ice Age

Bolt

Finding Nemo

Charlie Brown videos

Polar Express

Cars 1 & 2 movie ( we loved the 2nd one)

Magic School Bus videos

My daughter last year loved the Space Buddies movie ( any of the Buddy movies are so cute with all the puppy dogs)

Cats and Dogs and Cats and Dogs the revenge of Kitty Galore.

Toy Story movies

Lilo and Stitch ( the Stitch character starts off a little naughty ( mild naughtyness ) but the story has a message that being kind and loving is the way to go).

My kids (ages 4 & 5) also have limited screen time and almost zero TV besides following one pro football team.

We do DVDs. I dislike most animated films, so most of the ones they have seen are classic family movies. They really love the musical ones. Some examples of our family favorites (so far) are below. They are girls and my 4yo is on the mature side, so some of these my not be timely for your child.

Wizard of Oz

The Sound of Music

The Littlest Rebel (Shirley Temple)

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (I admit, it's animated, but it's tradition.)

Meet Me In St. Louis

West Side Story

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat

The King and I (with Yul Brenner)

They also like The Polar Express (also animated), but I dislike it.

I also bought the Scholastic 100 books-on-DVD set, and this is good for times when you just have a brief time window. We always enjoy them, and nowadays I turn on the subtitles to make it a little more educational.

Another good purchase was our Global Wonders DVDs - we bought Around the World and India. They were a hit as well as educational.

Yoga Kids by Gaiam is a good choice, too. For this age, I like the ABCs one best, but the Silly to Calm one is good too. (They are recommended for ages 3-6.)

We recently watched First Snow in the Woods. It is part of a series with real animals and voiceovers. It is very charming and my 5-year old and other 2 sons loved it. There are books too.

We also watched Frosty the Snowman recently and they loved it.

Pinocchio and The Fox and the Hound are great movies for that age. And I agree with everyone else about Winnie-the-Pooh and Curious George. There are also the Little Bear movies. There is a ton of really good educational stuff for that age group.