Menu

Playhouse or play kitchen?

When DS11 and DS9 were young, we didn't have much room for a play kitchen or a playhouse. Now that we are in a larger place, I'm want to get DS3 and DD18 months one of those items for Christmas.

If your children had one (or both) of these toys, will you share with me which one got the most use. I'm torn between the two.

Thanks!

We have both, and I'd get the kitchen, especially if the playhouse would be outdoors. Kids can toss a blanket over a table or something to make a playhouse, but they really seem to like the more realistic setting of the kitchen, and its little doors and everything.

(You might look for a pop-up tent or something that they could play with and then fold down and tuck away, so it doesn't take up room permanently.)

OK, so here's what I've experienced with my six kids. They get the most joy, the most fun, and the most benefit out of building their own forts. We do have a nook under the stairs that functions like a playhouse, but once it gets messy, they don't typically want to go in and play there. I do however, find them building playhouse areas all over the house and yard. The forts stay up for an afternoon or a day or two, we take them down and then they build again. The best kind of play is when a kid builds/imagines stuff (for long periods of time) on her own. Thank you to "The Power of Play," by David Elkind and "Last CHild In the Woods, " by Richard Louv for teaching me that! On a totally practical level, I find that our playhouse area under the stairs is usually 1) messy 2) not played in for longer than a few minutes at a time 3) and the junk hole where toys get thrown for fast clean up.

The kitchen set. Oh, yes. I had to have one and did we ever get a doosey. It was one of those really fabulous wooden sets that typically only a school or church keeps. I fantasized so long about how much fun the kids would have with it. The reality was that it got played with as a kitchen very little. Instead, they spent time crawling inside it and hiding. Let's not forget too, the insatiable, insatiable, uncurable, ever calling desire of children to play with water on wooden kitchen sets. :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: I was so relieved when we didn't have room for it anymore and it had to go away.

We found a little bed side stand and one of the kids painted burners on it. That was fun. For about 3 days. Now they just play kitchen wherever they are building today's "fort."

:001_smile: Guess I'm kind of a downer, but this old mom can't highly recommend either a playhouse or a kitchen. But they sure are cute. I love the look of those wooden kitchens at Target.....

We have both -I say get the playhouse. The reason why is that most playhouses are on the smallish side and kids outgrow them in height quickly. Kitchens last for longer if you get a nice tall one.

My DD is 5 and begging me for a playhouse this Christmas because she outgrew her previous one but I cannot find one that is big enough for her that I can afford :glare: Surely they know 5 yo's still like that type of thing.

My bug bear with a lot of kids toys is that they make them so short - strollers, playhouses, kitchens etc. They are usually outgrown by 3-4 years old but I know plenty of 5-7 yo's who still want to play with those things.