Menu

Leapfrog Tag?

No.

It just irritates me, for some reason. Like having a robot read to your kid or something. Like, I don't have time to read myself, so I'll just plop you down with this toy to keep you out of my hair. I know that's not fair, it's just the way I feel. Maybe because I cherish that sweet reading to my kids time--and now it's gone.

YMMV.

We have one and the kids really enjoy it. Ds was just learning to read when we got it and the books helped him to practice independently. We have the long vowel and blend books.

We also have the sentence builder and word builder games. The word builder is a lot of fun to make silly sentences.

We also have the US and World maps, which have been a great supplement to our geography studies.

I'm hoping to get the Learn to Draw and Write for Christmas. We have it for the Leapster and Ds really likes it. I'll think he'll like the additional things it can do with the Tag. I also like the Nat Geo animal card sets and hope to get them soon.

I don't know if you let your kids play on the computer but once you have a Leapfrog product, you can sign on to Leap World which has a bunch of educational games they can do and they can build virtual rooms.

We have one and the kids really enjoy it. Ds was just learning to read when we got it and the books helped him to practice independently. We have the long vowel and blend books.

We also have the sentence builder and word builder games. The word builder is a lot of fun to make silly sentences.

We also have the US and World maps, which have been a great supplement to our geography studies.

I'm hoping to get the Learn to Draw and Write for Christmas. We have it for the Leapster and Ds really likes it. I'll think he'll like the additional things it can do with the Tag. I also like the Nat Geo animal card sets and hope to get them soon.

I don't know if you let your kids play on the computer but once you have a Leapfrog product, you can sign on to Leap World which has a bunch of educational games they can do and they can build virtual rooms.

We didn't do much computer play for the bigs before moving; none for the littles. But the big computer won't go online since moving.

I put the tag system on a Christmas list for ils, along w/ some tag books & a container for the thing. Just trying to include some variety--things they *like* to buy, you know.

Well...they got the container-thing & not the actual books or tag pen. I think I could return it & they'd understand/not know, but IF it's a good thing for early readers/learning to read (3 & 4yo), there's a set on Craig's List--2 pens, 1 container, & some books. I could put that w/ the container ils are sending, & ea of the dc would have his/her own.

So far, I've loved everything Leap Frog, although I tend to think like Chris in VA--NO electronics here. But it's been a slippery slope ever since Bill convinced me to try the Letter Factory DVD. :lol:

My girls got them last Christmas when they were 6 and 4 and they still love them. It lets them read books that they are not quite able to read on their own, plus a lot of them have games in them also. We have the maps, too, the movies, Leapsters, the whole 9 yards. We are Leap Frog people! LOL gonna go look for those National Geographic cards someone mentioned...

My 4 yo got one last Christmas and he likes it. It totally doesn't replace read aloud time- even if you bought every book they have, it would be about one week's worth of a homeschooler's read alouds. DS really likes the sound effects and the games. He doesn't use it all the time, but I think it's worth it.

No.

It just irritates me, for some reason. Like having a robot read to your kid or something. Like, I don't have time to read myself, so I'll just plop you down with this toy to keep you out of my hair. I know that's not fair, it's just the way I feel. Maybe because I cherish that sweet reading to my kids time--and now it's gone.

YMMV.

We are actually considering the Tag NOT for the reading books. but for the extras you can get. US map. World map. Solar System map. You use the tag pen to identify areas/get more information. There are games where you race to find the most countries, etc.

We definitely do the games and maps a lot more than the books. DD will do the books the most and she is not reading at all yet. DS will only very occasionally do the books but both of them love the word and sentence builders and the maps. The maps are easily the favorite around here.

It definitely doesn't replace read-aloud time for us. My kids aren't good with read alouds and most of the ones we do will be books directly related to our science or history studies and way beyond their ability to read on their own.

We are Leapfrog people. We have most of the DVD's, Leapsters, Tag and we had a few of the baby toys - the stuffed animals that did letters or colors or songs or spanish. I've always been happy with the quality of their stuff.

I bought one for dd a week ago. She's starting to sound out words, and I thought it would be a good choice for those times when I'm busy cooking dinner or something. She has the solar system thing and several books, and loves it.

We don't use it as a replacement for reading aloud, by any means. But when I'm busy and need something to entertain her for a few minutes, I think it's far better than plopping her in front of the tv.

I do wish there were better book choices. Too many of them are heavily branded, like Tangled or Cars.

We have a Tag reader and lots of books that I got on a great sale one year. My son really liked it. In the long run, he ended up carrying it into the car to listen to the stories while we were driving. Now we have audio books on an old iphone that he has inherited so the tag is not used much at this point.

If you have an ipad, there are a lot of books that do similar things as the tag reader only better and the books are a lot cheaper for the ipad. :)

If you have an ipad, there are a lot of books that do similar things as the tag reader only better and the books are a lot cheaper for the ipad. :)

You're funny! Yes, I'd much rather get an ipad, & knowing the books for it are cheaper is somewhat compelling. I'm afraid we wouldn't save enough to make up the difference in initial cost, though. ;)

You're funny! Yes, I'd much rather get an ipad, & knowing the books for it are cheaper is somewhat compelling. I'm afraid we wouldn't save enough to make up the difference in initial cost, though. ;)

Do you use a lot of worksheets or pdfs for school? I figure I'm going to save enough in paper and ink to almost pay for ours now that we are no longer printing these out. We got a 32gb ipad 1 refurbished for $399.

Do you use a lot of worksheets or pdfs for school? I figure I'm going to save enough in paper and ink to almost pay for ours now that we are no longer printing these out. We got a 32gb ipad 1 refurbished for $399.

I use some pdfs, but we can see those on the laptop (ugh), & I don't see how an ipad would prevent me from printing worksheets. Although I'd LOVE to know. :D

I use some pdfs, but we can see those on the laptop (ugh), & I don't see how an ipad would prevent me from printing worksheets. Although I'd LOVE to know. :D

I'm linking to one post in this thread with a photo of my son doing his worksheets on the ipad. You can read the whole thread for a lot more info. :)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3337950&postcount=24